jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

I would be really embarrassed on this one... So please can you check.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image94
    TessSchlesingerposted 2 weeks ago

https://hubpages.com/literature/Why-Grammar-Matters

One of the things I do is help others with their writing. More and more I find that if people don't have a good grasp of grammar, it's the wrong career move. So I've written this. Of course, I am far from perfect, and my fingers type remarkably differently to what my brain is saying at times.

If you can see anything that makes a complete idiot of me in terms of grammar and spelling, please let me know. It will be much appreciated.

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

You're brave big_smile

"and therefore it didn’t need to be taught.When"

Is English a 'she'? Maybe that's correct, but it jars a little.

"Now thing about the fact that even when we speak to each other, we frequently misunderstand what the other has said. "

Should it be "Now think about the fact, that even when..."? There needs to be commas around the clause 'even when we speak to each other'.

I'll let others carry on smile

The bit you mentioned about educators claiming that children would learn just by reading... that's interesting because my daughter did that. She was home-schooled, and although I did lots of reading to her, she would not let me teach her to read. It was awful. My boys learnt at four years old, but T. was so obstinate about it that I gave up. Then at six years old she discovered Bratz (I know) and there was a series of books to accompany them. I refused to read them to her so she taught herself. Then she used to write 'scripts' for them. At 11 she took part in a GCSE assessment along with some other kids - she only did it because her brother did it. She got 100% in the test, beating an 18 year old.

She used to ask me how to spell a word, and I would say, "Okay, let's work it out together..." and she would say, "Just tell me how to spell the word!" She never asked for the same word twice.  Never had an English lesson in her life.

Not that I'm saying all children should be un-taught that way, but that approach does work in some cases.

TessSchlesingerposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Only 5% of children read books. Most children don't like to read for some reason. My daughter didn't. I was horrified when she reached 10 years and couldn't read. I went to get my Enid Blyton (Famous Five) books and read her a chapter three nights running. The fourth night "I was too busy." She started reading, and she never stopped after that.

Years later I asked her why she had hated reading. She said that the books at school were boring.

She was also told repeatedly by her teachers that spelling and grammar didn't matter. At 15 years old, she was semi-literate. I was going out of my mind. I kept on telling her spelling and grammar did matter. Somewhere between 16 and 18, she morphed into a writer - one good enought to have her high school English teacher (London) and her English Professor in San Diego approach me to encourage her to write as she was very, very good.

She's better than me.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

The annual scholastic report shows 70% of kids aged 6-12 read for enjoyment at least weekly.  Reading drops to adult levels during their teens.

That is really interesting. Thanks for that input. Can I have a source? I would like to read more about that. I'm curious as to what number of books are regarded as a 'reader.'

I was reading between two and four books a day from about age 8 up. That persisted right up to the day I left school. The library was always more interesting than school work.

It is not possible to learn grammar, etc. from reading three or four books a year, so while young children may occasionaly read for pleasure during their formative years, I am interested in the degree to which they read.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
              psycheskinnerposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Its called the "Kids and Family Reading Report".  The latest one is normally easy to find on their website www.scholastic.com

Thank you so much. I like to learn more about things like this. smile

??? That is a commercial company and has absolutely nothing to do with official figures. The USA has a high state of semi literacy and illiteracy. I can find no statistics on the site. You need to give me clinical research.

2. Azure11 profile image88
    Azure11posted 2 weeks ago

Just a few things I spotted:

There is a superfluous 'When' at the end of the first section.

A few extra words are in here: "One of the reasons so many struggle with reading is that they because they don’t understand"

As I understand it, grammatical is an adjective so I'm not sure about this sentence: "This means that your writing must be grammatical."

Should this have an 'an' in it? "Example of Ambiguous Sentence"?

"A forth interpretation" should read "fourth"

Again I'm not sure whether "When a reader reads something that is not grammatical" should be "grammatically correct"

"meant another thirn ng"

Thank you for your time. smile

3. wordswithlove profile image79
    wordswithloveposted 2 weeks ago

Tesa, your opening statement needs to be both factually and syntactically correct in an article about the importance of grammar. "The year, 1969, was the year...." does two things. It unnecessarily repeats the word "year" and opens with a statement that I don't believe is true. Have you verified the source of that information? As a sentence, if you want to refer to a year, it could be written as - "1969 was the year in which......". It is extremely important to base your articles on facts that can be accurately proven and a valid source referred to.

Good luck and keep writing! I am sure you can do it!

4. Marsei profile image88
    Marseiposted 2 weeks ago

After the sentence that ends:  And therefore it didn't need to be taught, the word "When" is just kind of hanging out alone, no period, no nothing.  It's capitalized, so you may have meant to start another sentence.  I didn't read further.

Thank you.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image94
    TessSchlesingerposted 2 weeks ago

OMG - I just reread it and had to do a serious edit!!!

6. chasmac profile image98
    chasmacposted 2 weeks ago

Here's one "They find don’t understand what they are reading."

Thanks. I can't believe it. Just went through it with a fine tooth comb! sad

working