jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Why are Editors Removing Internal Links?

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 4 weeks ago

I know this has been brought up in another forum post but I couldn't find it. I want to know why editors are snipping internal links out of articles? Aren't we suppose to add internal links? My most popular article was just snipped and every single link was removed. One of which was to someone else's hub on the same topic.

An explanation would be nice, am I not suppose to be adding links?

Thanks

1. janshares profile image91
      jansharesposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this
      1. Venkatachari M profile image82
        Venkatachari Mposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

This discussion thread is very informative regarding providing links to articles. I have gone through it and posted my comments also just now.
        Thank you Jan Shares, for recommending to this thread.

1. janshares profile image91
          jansharesposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I had a group of heavily interrelated 12 hubs. Some editor destroyed all 12 of those hubs in one shot via interlinking removal. Those hubs are now no longer here. There is some good news. The annihilation caused me to discover that the network site they were on was earning cr@p; even though those 12 hubs were getting daily, double-digit traffic each. Those 12 hubs are now being resurrected elsewhere. When the traffic eventually comes back, I expect to make some really decent money.

1. NateB11 profile image93
        NateB11posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I've had trouble with the "editing process" myself, fortunately nothing as horrible as that, but infuriating nonetheless.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
          paradigmsearchposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

In retrospect, she actually did me a favor. In addition to everything else, those particular 12 hubs were continually labor intensive. Her actions resulting in my discovery of the worthless earnings was a gift. Plus, there is going to be the fun of giving that certain network site a run for its money. And when I am done with the redesign, I figured out a way to get rid of the labor-intensive aspect; courtesy of the Blogspot/Blogger editing capabilities.

1. NateB11 profile image93
            NateB11posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I hear ya. On an article I submitted to a niche site here, the editor wanted me to make some ridiculous changes and I figured if the issue was pushed, I'd move the article to one of my sites, my sites need more content anyway. It might have proved to be a good move if I had.

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 weeks ago

Links, external, across network and internal are held to a similar standard.  We may be a little more strict for external or across network links, but the idea is that all links need to be good for the reader to highly relevant content.

One thing that folks can't often see is what is happening across the Network with link spam and why we are moderating/editing so heavily.   

Our policies are put in place to best serve our community of writers for the future as a whole.  We believe in the community and that we are better as a group than individuals.  We try and act as stewards of the platform to serve readers and writers for years to come.  It takes constant care to keep the network viable.

There is a growing and more sophisticated type of link spam we have to be very careful about.  Since Google changed Penguin (link algo) to ignore links vs penalize a site, folks have become more aggressive in their tactics to get links.

We aim to protect the HubPages Network from link spam.  If we become an easy target, the entire network is at risk. 

@Daughter of Maat, you have made some pretty fantastic articles.  We want trusted authors to have more editorial flexibility and we will continue to work on improving our processes regarding links.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul, for your friendly approach and this nice input.

working