jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)

What has come up in discussions the last couple of days, Id be keen to

1. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 2 months ago

hear your thoughts.
    My thoughts are...none of us in way way have no right to make a judgement. Perhaps only slightly if we were to make a comment on the subject we are employed to work with or research. Only then, can we have some knowing. So, all of us can never become so strong or defiant or too conceited in saying, "this is the way it is" because we may not have had a direct knowing of result expetience. It may be a thin slice of the pie but not neccessarily the whole pie. Therefore none of us can go to war, so speak and  say emphatically , this is the way. Therefore there shouldnt be  a "us and them". Im not quite sure what I am trying to say but this theme was ignited by the "expert" question put forward recently.

1. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

@threekeys, interesting.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image47
      The0NatureBoyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I agree Threekeys. Even if someone is researching and/or experiencing the topic there is no reason for judging another. One should state their views, give arguments for their perspective and state how they found their conclusions but not judge another and/or deny them a right to disagree with their views.

threekeysposted 2 months agoin reply to this

yes. Elijah

3. AlexandraHoerl profile image90
      AlexandraHoerlposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I agree that HP authors should not be personally judged. I'll also grant that critics should be humble and constructive, especially when making suggestions to help others improve the clarity and force of subjective or experience-based arguments.

However, I don't think any of that means research, arguments, and claims of fact should be completely exempt from critique. For my part, I am very grateful that there is judgment in this world. My thinking has improved immeasurably because my teachers and mentors were kind enough to criticize me.

Yes, we need feedback from others. Critical evaluation both stretches us and supports us to reevaluate and strengthen our delivery. We all need checks and balances.

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 2 months agoin reply to this

feedback is important in a way that we can improve our hubs

2. janshares profile image98
    jansharesposted 2 months ago

Sounds like a forum mashup? Glad I don't know what happened. Good advice though, threekeys. We should not judge each other or come across with condescending tone.

See what they decide to do.

2. chasmac profile image96
      chasmacposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hi Jan. You should check it out if you haven't already. It's a request from HP for opinions on a new traffic gaining strategy they're starting. Basically, they want to get (unpaid) outside experts to provide a review at the bottom of Hubs, especially YMYL Hubs to give them more authority. It's not a forum mashup. In fact, I've never seen such a high level of agreement on a forum topic. HP provided an example review on a topic that's within your field of expertise: psychology, counselling, relationships, etc. The example review was negative. That's fair enough, but one objection raised is that negative reviews will decrease, not increase, a Hub's authority, and it would be better to unfeature or unpublish it than tell the world (and Google) it's not a good article. Other points were raised too. Have a look. You should find it interesting even if you don't feel the need to comment.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … rt-reviews

1. The0NatureBoy profile image47
        The0NatureBoyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yes Chasmic, I approve of that concept, superb idea.

2. janshares profile image98
        jansharesposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, chasmac. I skimmed the new post but didn't have time to read. I have a client in 7 minutes! So busy.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Jan, you need to catch up with the new feature, especially if you are writing any articles using your professional expertise.

1. janshares profile image98

Thank you, Marisa. I will, hopefully this weekend.

3. janshares profile image98
    jansharesposted 2 months ago

Sorry threekeys and other hubbers for my making an assumption about a forum mashup. I will try to dedicate more time to catching up on important forum posts. These days, all I have time to do is pop in and out. hmm My bad.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Sorry if you thought I meant it as a criticism, Jan - not my intention at all.   Just saying it's worth catching up on the topic as it's something a few of us are concerned about.

The idea of having an expert review of our Hubs sounds great - but in the example we've been given, the expert wrote a review which said, basically, "this Hub is a load of nonsense", thus destroying all the hard work the Hubber had put into the article!

I think psychology is your field so it will be interesting to see your take on the example article and whether the review was fair.

1. janshares profile image98

Not at all, Marisa. I appreciate you. I just felt bad about thinking something negative happened in a forum when it wasn't that at all. I guess I had a flashback to the days of bad behavior in the forums. big_smile
        Yes, that's my field. I look forward to checking out the new feature.

working