jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

What is APA title case?

1. paperfacets profile image93
    paperfacetsposted 9 days ago

I am working on an article and the editor of the niche has asked me to "Please update the subtitles to APA title case".

Does that mean all words are capitals? Which words are not to be capitalized? I could use this information for all my Hubs. Thanks, Sherry

1. sallybea profile image99
      sallybeaposted 9 days agoin reply to this

This is a great tool to use https://capitalizemytitle.com/

1. wilderness profile image98
        wildernessposted 9 days agoin reply to this

That's the one I use, too.  So far HP has not disagreed with them.

2. Margaret Schindel profile image97
      Margaret Schindelposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Hi Sherry,

If you look under HubPages Help > Publishing Standards, you'll find a Learning Center article on HubPages Style Guide and Helpful Writing Tips. It contains a section on the "Proper Use of Capitalization in Titles and Subtitles" that includes a link to an APA blog post that provides the style guidelines for capitalizing titles.

HubPages wants us to use APA's title case for both titles and subtitles. The short version of APA's title case style: In addition to the first word of the title (which should always be capitalized), all nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns and any other words of four or more letters should be capitalized. For hyphenated words, both parts should be capitalized (e.g., "The Too-Dry Season"). You can read the full post using the link from the Learning Center article.

Hope that helps!

1. Venkatachari M profile image81
        Venkatachari Mposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Thank you, Margaret, for this great helpful advice. I also very recently learned this type of creating the titles and subtitles. This is a very good and appealing style of publishing the articles.

1. Margaret Schindel profile image97
          Margaret Schindelposted 8 days agoin reply to this

You are very welcome, Venkatachari M! Glad it was helpful.

2. paperfacets profile image93
    paperfacetsposted 9 days ago

Thanks for your answers on this question. I also found this post by Robin on another thread.

posted 9 months ago
    Thanks for asking the question!  We use Capitalize my title.  The only problem with it, is sometimes it doesn't capitalize four letter words that should be capitalized.  Other than that, it's great.  Also, a trick is to remember that "is" is always capitalized.  smile 

Here are the main guidelines:

1.  Capitalize the first word of the title/heading and of any subtitle/subheading;
    2.  Capitalize all “major” words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns) in the title/heading, including the second part of hyphenated major words (e.g., Self-Report not Self-report); and
    3.  Capitalize all words of four letters or more.

working