First time submitting article - labeled as 'too spammy'...?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. KPriceLOVE profile image61
    KPriceLOVEposted 6 years ago

Hello,

I have no idea what "too spammy" means. This is the first time I've submitted an article. I wanted to keep it short and sweet. It is sort of a bio on my dog, Buddy and embedded in this is information on why Golden Doodles are the best dogs. I plan to expand in the future and talk about general canine behavior and be informative and personable, utilizing my own 2 dogs as 'props'. Why would the rating of my original article not be good enough to be published? The ONLY specific feedback given was "too spammy". Again, I have no idea why that was the feedback given the content of what I wrote. Please advise? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, have you included any links? If yes, try deleting them.

Hubpages isn't a blogging platform.  Articles should be of a decent length and be like those you'd read in a magazine.

We have a Goldendoodle too!

1. KPriceLOVE profile image61
        KPriceLOVEposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for replying. I did not have any links therefore the only thing I can think of is that it sounds "bloggie". Telling me it should sound like a magazine article helps a bit (although I'm an avid reader and would truly see a blurb like the one I wrote). I will give it another shot!  Appreciate it!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

The word "spammy" always means there is a problem with links.   It could be a link to a website, or to another Hub, or to an Amazon product.   

You can use links in your Hubs but they must follow certain rules.  If you read my Hub on the Basic Rules, that will tell you all you need to know (you'll find it on the slider on my profile). 

Did you get a general email, and the "spammy" thing was just one possible problem?   If so, then the other possible problem is that your Hub was too personal.

Let's face it, no one cares how you feel about your dog, or what cute things he gets up to (unless it's really funny and you film it for Youtube).   If they're on the internet looking for info about that breed, they want information.   Your personal experience on that breed can be really valuable, but you have to differentiate between what's purely personal (not allowed on HubPages) and what's useful personal knowledge that others will want to read.

Not to mention that a Hub really needs to be over 800 words, and ideally you should aim for the "sweet spot" at around 1,500 words.

3. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

I've often had the spammy link message because I referenced the source using a URL.  Don't bother with the source URL is my advice.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have to disagree with that advice.   If the licence for the photo requires you to credit the photographer, then it's pretty rude not to provide the URL, I think (not to mention illegal).

The only time you'll get a "spammy link" message for a photo source is if you've got several photos from the same website, and you've linked to that website in several photos.  Even then, the main photo sites (like Flickr) are whitelisted so you can link each photo individually without any problems.

In fact if you're using Flickr, you must link each photo individually, because each photographer must have a link to their own individual photostream.   In most cases, it's the same for Wikipedia/Wikimedia - the photos don't belong to the Wikis, so you can't just credit the site.  You have to check the licence on each image and credit accordingly.  Like I say, apart from being illegal to do otherwise, I think it's unfair on the photographer to use his work discourteously.

For other sites, you can get around it by putting the name of the source in the photo capsule, leaving the source URL blank, and then adding the link once, at the end of the Hub (e.g. "all photos from .....").

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

If the problem is a legit image source website you can also request that they be 'whitelisted' so this rule does not apply to them.

5. KPriceLOVE profile image61
    KPriceLOVEposted 6 years ago

Thank you for all of your input. I appreciate it! Please note that I did not have any 'images' on my article. I posted a pic I took myself, of my dog. So, the issue may be that my post sounded too "bloggy" as they say. I will keep trying! Love the site. #aspiringbutverynovicewriter smile

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ah... well it is good to have at least one image. That's why there is one image capsule already in place when you begin to create a hub using the generic template.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)