jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

A lot of my Hubs have been copied by different websites.

1. hclpd profile image95
    hclpdposted 3 weeks ago

I just found out that a lot of hubs have been copied by different blogs. How am I supposed to deal with it? I've heard about DMCA, but don't know much about it.  Since it' the first time I've encountered it, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago

It's a pain, but it's the price of writing on HubPages because the site is so high profile, it's a constant target for thieves.

Here's how I approach it:

I take a look at the offending sites.  Sometimes my Hubs get copied by a small business for their website, and I give them the benefit of the doubt - I write to them, explain it's a copyright article and not free to use, but I'll be happy to let them keep it if they pay my usual fee, which is $100.  Usually that results in them taking the article down, but I have been paid twice.

However, if the blog is obviously run by some idiot who's stealing articles wholesale, I don't even bother to contact the blog owner. I go straight to the hosting company and complain to them.  You'll need to find out who's hosting the blog - if it's a .blogspot blog, then it's Google and they have an online form to complete.  Otherwise you have to search for the hosting company and file a DMCA. 

This Hub by Wilderness explains how to do that:
    https://hubpages.com/community/Copying- … nt-Removed

3. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 3 weeks ago

Marisa gave you the details on how to deal with it, but you have to decide if it is even worth your time. A lot of those copies are on obscure sites or blogs that are never going to be ranked by Google, so they in no way decrease your traffic. Clear you cache and then check on Google to see if those articles on the stolen sites are listed, and if they are even on the front page.
    I do file DCMAs, but not for all sites. Sometimes I will send an email to a Russian or other foreign hosted site, since they are not beholden to the DCMA.

4. cleoaddams profile image88
    cleoaddamsposted 3 weeks ago

Those are great tips Marisa. smile

working