I need a 2nd pair of eyes to proof read my article.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. newbizmau profile image81
    newbizmauposted 6 years ago

I'm almost sure there are some grammatical or spelling mistakes. Please help if you can proof read this article for me.

11:11 The Phenomenon and Numerology Crystal Connection
    https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … -Number-11

1. stuff4kids profile image61
      stuff4kidsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's quite a big ask!

You probably need to make a small investment. You can invest either money or time.

Professional proofreaders charge either by the hour or by the word. Fees are typically $30 to $95 per hour or $0.10 to $0.25 per word. You can find cheaper services, but you should be careful about the quality and credentials of the proofreader. Most reputable proofreaders offer a short sample proofread before an engagement.

Although I doubt that it's worth spending money on a hub. Particularly one as “niche” as this which will probably never pull much traffic.

Alternatively, study grammar, syntax, and current usage so that you are able to proofread your own work. Good books are available from most public libraries. I think anyone who publishes their work and wants others to read it should do this in any case if only for the sake of the reader's experience.

Good luck.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I hardly think the OP needs help with grammar and syntax.  He writes beautifully.  As a former Language Arts teacher and HP writer who has more than one million 850 thousand views, I think I'm quite qualified to make that statement.

He wasn't asking for an edit, just some basic help.  While his hub is not perfect, it only needs some focus and organization...things which are relatively easy to learn.

If you don't want to offer help, then don't...but don't bash him for doing what so many others here do all the time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, the OP asked for someone to "proof read" his article and also said he wanted someone to look for "grammatical or spelling mistakes".   

We've had several such requests recently on the forums, and usually they're from people who need a LOT of grammar and spelling help - so I wouldn't be surprised if Amanda reacted to the request without even looking at the Hub, having had enough of people asking for so much work for free.

Yes, I am aware of this.  The term "proof read" can mean different things to different people.  He was not asking for a total rewrite or in depth edit, but apparently that is how his request was interpreted.  I know people come onto the forums who do want those things, but I think that before people jump all over them they should take the time to look at the hub in question or just ignore the request if they so choose.

This particular writer has great potential and I would hate to see him turned off by someone who became frustrated about this issue.

I always thought "proof read" meant to go through something with a fine tooth comb and spot grammar and spelling mistakes.  And if you look at the OP's post, that's exactly what he asked for.  I don't think there's any room for misunderstanding there.

2. AliciaC profile image93
              AliciaCposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, TT2, I agree with Marisa. Proofreading means checking for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. I think this is the definition that HubPages is following in their emails.

Yes, but some people think the term also means to "edit", which is a much more complex action.

I don't think people see it as meaning something more complex.  I think they feel that proof-reading is a slow, detailed business.

In fact, I'd prefer to "edit" a Hub than proofread it.  If I'm editing, I'm looking for structural problems, non-compliant links, Amazon problems, etc.   When I post my suggestions, I'm not just helping the Hubber fix that particular Hub - I'm giving them information which they can apply to future Hubs. After a few Hubs, that Hubber won't need to keep posting for help on the forums, they'll have learned enough to do it on their own.

If I'm asked to proof read, then I have to check every word and phrase for spelling and grammar, and note them all down.   The corrections I make will fix that Hub - but unless I'm going to start giving the Hubber lessons in grammar and spelling, I'm not teaching them anything that will help them improve.  They'll keep coming back because what I've taught them is, you can get easy access to let others do your work for you.

You definitely make your point.  However, in this case, it no longer matters because I double checked to see if the OP had in fact plagiarized...and he had!  In my mind proofing and editing had pretty much been interchangeable terms and I imagine they are for others as well.  Doesn't really matter/  Apparently what I've been doing is editing, not proof reading!  The terminology won't change a thing about what I do.

2. newbizmau profile image81
          newbizmauposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TIMETRAVELER2,

I thank you again for your kind compliments. I have read some of your articles and find you to be a better judge of writing. Although in the end, I did get some great advice here in this forum for my article, I've learned so much more about the social climate here on HubPages. It's very different than Squidoo used to be. What happened?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

OK..it's me again!

Took a look and still feel that although your writing is excellent, it doesn't seem to flow or maintain focus.

Your title would be more enticing if it was something like "What Does 11:11 Mean, and How Does It Relate to Crystals"...or something similar.

You need an introduction.

Also, I must tell you that you write on an extremely sophisticated level, but unfortunately, most people read on 6th grade level...so you are writing above their level in what seems to be an extremely technical subject.

I found the article fascinating, but I have a Master's Degree...most who read online articles do not.

You may have to focus more and dumb things down more if you want people to find and read your work.  Otherwise you'll be appealing to a very small niche, which means you may get low views and low income!

3. theraggededge profile image87
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

I took a look. I would suggest you try to reduce the frequency of the 'keyword': 11:11. I know it is the topic of the article, but it's over-used. 29 times to be precise.

Also, the word, 'may' appears 24 times. Try to rephrase.

Your writing is a little rambling and vague. You should go right through and delete any unnecessary words. Your goal in a factual article is for crisp, lively writing that keeps the reader wanting to read on. See if you can swap out adjectives for active verbs. Watch out for too many 'ing' verbs. Rephrase so the sentence is clearer

The info about you should be in the article bio. The intro should be only about the topic, not about you.

You can't discuss 11:11 without mentioning the number one. You also could mention that 11 in tarot relates to justice (karma, balance).

Jade in the middle of a sentence shouldn't be capitalised. Similarly, 'empath'.

Hope that helps.

Thank you that really helps a lot. It's funny you mention Jade and Empath. I tried using Grammarly and it kept flagging those words and wanting me to capitalize them. I thought that was weird too.

2. newbizmau profile image81

That wasn't helpful at all and I think I've just been insulted as well.

I've no idea why you feel insulted by my advice. Why should anyone proofread an almost 1000 word article for nothing? However, here's my feedback on the first part of your hub.

"Explaining a divine phenomenon isn't the easiest task. I will give it my best effort to explain [what is the meaning of] (1) seeing 11:11 [constantly] (2), [it's] (3) relation to you and your life, and also the relation to crystals.

I'm Maurice Glaude [,] (4) I've been a massage therapist for well over 10 years, a seeker of knowledge and have experienced the same phenomenon [that] (5) you may [be experiencing] (6) now. My answers have come from following the signs of my [own] (7) intuition and learning about crystals over the last 10 years. I can tell you now [that](8) you never stop learning or experiencing and the adventure only gets greater. Join me now as we discuss seeing 11:11 and how this relates to your life. We will also discuss how seeing 11:11 could mean [that] (9) you are highly sensitive or even an Empath."

1. Hidden verb resulting in a clumsy phrase. Try simplifying the statement. For example, "to explain what seeing 11:11 means"

2. Unnecessary adverb

3. Misuse of an apostrophe. This is the possessive form so use "its"

4. Use period not comma

5. Unnecessary conjunction

6. Confused verb use. Replace with "experience"

7. Unnecessary adjective

8. Unnecessary conjunction

9. Unnecessary conjunction

And so on throughout the hub. I counted 26 errors of which 5 are serious grammar mistakes and the remaining errors are problems of diction and style.

To resolve these issues you may either pay a proofreader to check the entire document, or learn the rules of English grammar by way of a course or from a book.

"The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White (ISBN-13: 978-0205309023) is a standard and accessible text available from all bookshops and most libraries.

You may also wish to check the scientific accuracy of your statements about DNA and offer supporting evidence for your claims. Google places increasing emphasis not only on correct grammar and readability but also on factual accuracy.

You’ve copied 25% of your hub word-for-word from other sources without permission or acknowledgement. TiffanyStyles.com and UniversalLifeTools.com may ring bells. Plagiarism is illegal and penalized by the search engines.

I hope that helps.

Thank you stuff4kids,
        That was very helpful and the most helpful was pointing out that 2 websites may have stolen my material. This isn't a new article and I wrote it many years ago before even publishing it. It was a blog post once before I deleted that blog altogether and recreated it on Hubpages. I will take your suggestion and try that book.
        By the way, it was suggested by Hubpages to put it on the forum for help proofreading. This is my first time ever putting an article for that and I didn't expect to be belittled and bullied. I can imagine new Hubpage members reading this and getting discouraged about putting anything on these forums.

Well, I'll leave it there.

I've given up my time to help you, showing you what's involved in proofreading your work and offering advice about how to do it. I've made no personal slights or insults; just offered useful, factual information and actionable advice.

Now to accuse me of belittling and bullying you, does that seem fair? Accusing me of bullying is serious and hurtful, you know. Honestly, I can find no insults in this thread but yours.

You leave me saddened, a little hurt, and discouraged - and much less likely to help on the forums. I suppose an apology would be too much to ask?

Sorry that part about the bullying wasn't for you at all. It was for the person who commented after you. I sincerly thanked you and will take all of your help in gratitude. The comment I was referring to was by firstcookbooklady, "No. Insulted would be if someone read it, and the comment they left was "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ROFL."

I really truly appreciated your advice and I am deeply sorry how this came across.

I accept your apology.

Although you're mistaken to direct accusations of bullying at anyone here, including Char (firstcookbooklady), whose comment I read as humorously pointing out that no-one had insulted you, and not spiteful at all.

I rather think you owe her an apology now, too. And then perhaps you'd better leave it at that.

I wish you well.

3. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 6 years ago

It is good advice.  There is nothing mean-spirited about it, just facts.

4. Luke Holm profile image86
    Luke Holmposted 6 years ago

Well, a large majority of the information in your article is plagiarized word for word, so I would focus on citing your sources as a good start to your revision process. At least create a bibliography with where you got the information from. Passing off other people's words as your own isn't very ethical.

5. Luke Holm profile image86

On a more constructive note, I suggest changing up your vocabulary as much as possible. While I thought your article was easy to understand, there are a lot of repeating phrases which often scores lower for Google's websearch spiders and SEO.  Here are some other fixes (ctrl+f to find these parts quickly):

You may be here because you've been seeing 11:11 show up just about [everywhere].

Consider writing objectively (not speaking directly to your audience). This will make your article more informational rather than appealing to a specific audience.

Define uncommon vocabulary, or at least provide links to unfamiliar terms such as "Angel Numbers," "Master Numbers," etc.

Finally, I think the flow of your article could be improved. It seems like you did do some research on this topic, but that your research is compiled a bit haphazardly. Spend more time going into detail about what you are talking about. To me, it just seems like a bunch of information smooshed together (but that's just me). I suggest you reread your article and create an outline of your main points (to see it from a greater perspective). Looking at your outline, do your ideas flow well? Where are there gaps?

The article is good. It just needs more links to unfamiliar vocabulary, citations to work you copied verbatim, and a clearer progression of ideas for your audience. I didn't find many grammatical errors within your writing.

6. newbizmau profile image81

TIMETRAVELER2,
    Thank you for your kind words. I had no idea I wrote at that level. I did get an idea though when I tried using an app that gauges reader level and I saw that some phrasing and words I chose could be arranged differently. By the way, I have reworded that title many times and you are absolutely right. The word phenomenon just needs to go. Your title is much simpler and still makes perfect sense. I will take all of your suggestions. I appreciate it greatly.

Maurice

Many here who seek help don't have the first inkling of how to properly write, but you clearly aren't one of them.  I really believe that by simplifying your titles and general wordage and breaking your content into smaller capsules with good subtitles, you can do really well here.

This is easy to say but not so easy to do!  I assume you've already looked at a few of my articles to see how I write and structure them.  If not, you should.  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I was very unhappy to see that what another poster here stated seemed to be true.  I only checked briefly, but it does appear that you copied the work of other online writers word for word.

If you have been doing this, please remove this and other articles that you have copied paritally or iin whole asap.  If you don't, you'll be receiving DMCA notices which will require you to do the same.

HP is a place where people are supposed to write completely original articles.  This one, at least, and from what has been said and from what I've seen myself, does not meet that requirement.

7. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 6 years ago

No. Insulted would be if someone read it, and the comment they left was "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ROFL."

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Forums can be daunting but there is a difference between negative input and bullying, we have no power or authority over you and our opinions carry as much weight as you give them.  It is inherent in the nature of forums that personalities and responses will vary.

9. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

Maurice Glaude, let me be one of many here who will rush to the defence of Amanda Littlejohn. She has given you a lot of valuable advice and has in no way disrespected you. The only negative personal comments have come from you aimed at someone who genuinely tried to assist you.

All the people in the forums who offer help to writers who can't get past the QAP do so on a voluntary basis. We receive no personal gain except from those who thank us for our input.

Occasionally, a would-be writer lashes out when told their work is not good enough and, it seems, you have joined the cohort that feels personally aggrieved by being told the truth.

If you don't want to accept practical assistance, don't ask for it. Would you rather be told your work is sparklingly wonderful when it isn't?

And, yes, you owe Amanda Littlejohn an apology.

Thanks for coming to her defense. She deserves it. It was just a mistake on my part not to mention the comment I was referring to.

Sorry about the confusion.

2. stuff4kids profile image61

Thank you, Rupert.

10. Luke Holm profile image86

...did y'all miss my original comment? These sentiments are days late to the game. I've looked at his other articles and "could use a second pair of eyes," because to me it looks like the large majority of them are plagiarized word for word.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)