jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)

Short Stories

1. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 2 months ago

Sometimes I burn myself out drawing inside the lines of science. I need to exercise my creative side. I seem to get blasted with really great sci/fi fantasy ideas in the shower, at the gym, before bed... but never see myself having the motivation to sit and write an entire novel. Instead I might try writing 10-20 page short stories in PDF format and waiting until I have a large enough collection to publish. Part of this was influenced by my love for the TV series "The Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone". 

Now if I could just get done with everything else I'm working on...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13825547_f1024.jpg

1. snakeslane profile image79
      snakeslaneposted 2 months agoin reply to this
        Jessie L Watsonposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Total nostalgia.

2. Dabby Lyric profile image79
      Dabby Lyricposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hello Jessie,

I hear ya!  I bit the bullet and started re-writing an original fictional work several months back. I'm now on Chapter 27 lol!  It's a great accomplishment for me eventhough I don't consider myself a great writer.  I've a handful of shorts that I have to dedicate myself to and get at it.

You can do it, just takes time...which is a big one.  Getting that first word down is hard too.  Keep at it till you get it!

Congrats! Keep going. Share if possible.

2. Dabby Lyric profile image79
    Dabby Lyricposted 2 months ago

Thanks!  I plan to once I remove it from another site first.

3. EricFarmer8x profile image97
    EricFarmer8xposted 2 months ago

I like writing blog posts, articles, and Hubs but I never tried to write a story. It is something I have thought at least trying once.

It's a good exercise. Especially poetry.

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months ago

I have never tried to write a short story. The closest I ever came to it was alluding to personal experiences in a hub about Erie, PA that I wrote recently. The hub is officially finished and I am glad to be rid of it.

Glad to be rid of it as in: it was therapeutic to talk about something personal?

5. snakeslane profile image79
    snakeslaneposted 2 months ago

Short Story is a fairly simple format. There are some masters that are good to read for clues. Too many to mention except for the obvious. The Russians Chekov and Dostoyefsky I would suggest.

Do you mean the Brothers Karamazov? And I also have Dostoevskys 'Notes from the Underground' on PDF. Probably one of the greatest literary figures in history.

Yeah, I was thinking more of their short stories. Good stuff for any aspiring writer to explore.

Sorry Jessie, I wasn't very clear with that. I should have said the Russian writers Anton Chekhov and Fyodor Dostoevsky,  my bad. And I usually get the spelling wrong with the Russian names too, (although they often have more than one spelling smile

Ohhh! I heard a little about Chekhov a few months ago on a Literary Theory lecture from Yale.  Beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS22f07a2MY&t=2462s

Thanks for the link, I couldn't hear most of what he was saying, a speaker issue on my end maybe. Was he discussing Chekhov?

00:00 - Chapter 1. Introduction
                01:52 - Chapter 2. Anton Chekhov and Henry James
                11:26 - Chapter 3. Author and Authority
                19:36 - Chapter 4. "The Founders of Discursivity"
                28:20 - Chapter 5. Critique of the "Author Function"

There's also a closed captioning option. I usually get bored after he gets to Michelle Foucault and Jacques Derrida. Post modern criticisms are just dreadfully conceited and irrational.

I will take your word for it. smile
                  Back to Chekhov:
                  http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/article … -character

2. Jessie L Watson profile image95

Professor Fry quotes from a play scrip of Chekhov and Henry James...

"[Life is] at best a tin mold either fluted or embossed with ornamental excrescences or else smooth and dreadfully plain, into which, a helpless jelly one's consciousness is poured so that one takes the from and is more or less compactly held by it. One lives, in fine, as one can"

I found this compelling because I'm a big fan of Oscar Wilde. A similar yet delightfully engaging use of language.

6. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 2 months ago

Jessie, I’m exactly the same. Every spare moment I have to write I’m working on articles because they make me money and my day job pays peanuts.

I used to write thousands of words a day as a teenager and had three books published at one point.

Now I have a short story that’s been in the works for months because every time I get into my laptop, it’s to reach the article number count. It’s a shame.

And this is what we've been reduced to haha. The time has come to revivify the imaginative spirit of our youth.

7. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 2 months ago

Interesting. Thank you

working