How well do poems and short stories do on HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Wesley Meacham profile image60
    Wesley Meachamposted 11 years ago

How well do poems and short stories do on HP?

I noticed a while back somewhere that HP staff had mentioned that creative writing such as poems and short stories don't do as well as informational pieces. I'm curious to know about the earnings of some of the people who publish a lot of these. Do you think the work publish on HP earns a fair amount?

2. Funom Makama 3 profile image66
    Funom Makama 3posted 11 years ago

Very badly... They are hardly ever viewed and I had to re-edit my poem hubs several times for them to be featured by hubpages as high quality Hubs... I'm still wondering why it is so..

Wesley Meachamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds circular. Since most traffic comes from outside of HP it would be hard to keep them featured. Thanks for commenting.

3. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

As a reader here I love the hub-writers that are primarily focused on more creative hubs. I read them regularly but it is suggested to write more commercialized material to heighten ad-participation and increase traffic. I haven't yet posted any of my poetry but have been contemplating it-If I see a drop or increase I'll let you know. Great question.

I've not posted any poems here at all. I have some but I doubt that I would ever place them here. I'm just curious about what I see other people doing and how well it works for them. Thanks for commenting.

4. HoneyBB profile image88
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I have a few poems on here and a few I put together in one hub because what I have learned is that you should strive to have atleast 500 words so people spend more time reading on your page. I have had a decent amount of few in comparison to the amount of views I have had to most of my articles but if I write any more poetry I intend to add a story behind it or make a collection to increase my word count.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That´s a great idea HoneyBB. Combining a poem with a story  is indeed a great idea. I could try this sometime. Thanks;-)

2. Wesley Meacham profile image60

Thanks for the comment.

5. mactavers profile image89
    mactaversposted 11 years ago

I love the poems and short stories on Hub Pages, and other Hubbers enjoy them. But if you are looking for a source of income that is long term, they don't get the clicks on Ebay or Amazon that other topics do.  The Hubs I never read are the chapters of books that you have to have read the previous chapters for the story to make sense.  This is just my personal thoughts, as I have never researched this topic.

Interesting comment.

6. kaiyan717 profile image85
    kaiyan717posted 11 years ago

I write a few poems on here that do pretty well.  A few get triple digit hits most days, however the search is done on my name, more than the genre.  I have been  writing poetry for over a decade on other sites, so it appears they are googling my pen name, not neccesarily the poetry.  I write alot of other types of writing, so I think having a diverse set of hubs helps to generate a good income.

Thats interesting. This was one of my main thoughts. Most of the work here is found through internet searches and poems well... aren't really the kind of thing that someone could search for.  Thanks for commenting.

2. ajwrites57 profile image86
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice and comments, kaiyan717 .

7. cfin profile image64
    cfinposted 11 years ago

BUBBLES - A poem for my baby    67    6    0    6    26    (overall)142    (published)07/22/12    
    DREAMS - A poem for my baby    67    7    1    3    24    (overall)143    (published)07/22/12

I threw these poems together one night, and quickly uploaded them. I dont imagine it is for your best work. Its more so for cute poems, or thoughtful limericks.

8. graveyard-rose profile image70
    graveyard-roseposted 11 years ago

Like crap! My poems are not doing very well.. I have the first couple chapters of my book on here and it hasn't been viewed very often.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

HubPages isn't the best forum for creative writing.  I had two hubs I wrote that were short stories that kept being idled.  HP is more for informative content that people are searching for on search engines.  My non-fiction, informational hubs do very well.

1. BlossomSB profile image79
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it is informative hubs that do best, but writing creatively is such fun!

I tend to think that there are better forums for creative writing as well. Just my opinion though and I wanted to see others thoughts. Thanks for commenting.

10. mattforte profile image86
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

Horribly. A hub can only do as well as it gets searched on Google.
    Have you ever searched Google for anything and found a hubbers poem to be what you were looking for? Not likely. They don't get searched, so they don't get views...and they drag down the overall value of the domain. (This affects all of us)
    Livejournal is a great place for poetry. HubPages is not.

As for getting triple digits daily..I highly doubt that. If I'm wrong I'm wrong - but I don't believe it for a second.

1. B. Leekley profile image85
      B. Leekleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to learn about Livejournal.

I use LJ for my blog. Never thought to use it for poetry. However, best that I'm aware there isn't a way to earn anything from your LJ account.

3. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They don't 'drag down the overall value of the domain.' That's a myth.

11. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

I don't think you'll ever make any serious money from poetry on HubPages. As you mentioned, most of the articles on this site are full of practical tips and other similar stuff so the creative set tend to struggle.
    Having said that some of my poetry hubs do ok, nothing spectacular, but the poems do get out there and are read and mostly appreciated. One hub,Bird Poems, has a daily count of roughly 35!! Being realistic I know I'd need hundreds of poetry hubs all doing well to make any regular pocket money. 

I'd say the same happens for short stories but I may be wrong. Perhaps there's a really big earner out there, a writer of mean poetry and stories, who is sat back laughing their heads off as the rest of us struggle on, starving in attics!!

Thanks for commenting. I doubt though that there is anyone extremely far out ahead of the pack.

12. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

Good question!   I have one or two Haiku's that do really well but the rest I posted because I liked them; they are pretty dormant most of the time.  Some Hubbers primarily focus on poetry and I wonder whether they have specific and large enough followings to make this financially rewarding or just because they love to write.

I keep wondering, why not test other forums? The numbers may still be low but I'm sure that there are people who are actually looking for poems... just, not here.

13. NotPC profile image59
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Haha. They do terrible! Even the best poets in the world today have trouble finding an audience. HubPages is totally the wrong website to make money on poems and creative writing. That being said, there are many exceptional writers on HubPages who may stumble across your pieces and be able to give you some advice on improving them. You will NEVER make money from poems or creative writing.

1. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is pure honesty, and totally true. Poetry in any form: Book, magazine, or Internet, is never a money-maker nor does it ever have a large audience. Only one exception to this I know of is Allen Ginsberg's The Howl; but that was all about timing.

I wouldn't say never... but I mostly agree with you that poems don't do very well.

14. MichaelJohnMele profile image59
    MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years ago

I'm not really sure much of anything brings in that much here on Hub Pages...at least from what I've observed personally and from what other users have told me. I've been here for a little over 7 months now...and have just a few earned dollars in my account. I've come to realize that Hub Pages isn't a place to come for money...it's a place you come to hone your craft, get feedback and meet new people who share the same passion you do.

Thanks for commenting. I agree that there is not much cash here for any type of writing early on.

15. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

I haven't read any other comments yet. Remember that joke about the word 'well.' Kinda' goes like this
    Well . . .
    For such a shallow mind,
    That's a deep subject
    Mule,
    Shallow Hal,
    Hal was a computer,
    and on and on and on . . . . . .

well there is a poem of some genre

Now a story. Seems there were two gals, sisters they were. They played baseball back near WWII. They played on the same team name had something to do with peaches. Then pride jumped in and they split. Then back together again. Plot comes to mind. Long history and the author had a hankering to write it. Much to tell with a wink or two.

Well, there is a story.

This author's view is well is depending on variables of what is sought. Personally I do very well with both and I mix them too. However, what is it that I seek - the audience's view, the readership response, how much readership and over how long, etc. Sometimes I write something just to see how many read in the when of the day or night and what country. Google analytics helps with that. Seems to work for me for ideas anyway.

Yes, I may unpublish the article and even delete. Yet, oddly it is on my PC of lap top still. A novelette? A Readers Digest submission? A magazine maybe? A school project or paper? Maybe a Pulitzer or Nobel? Remember the movie Finding Forester. The main point for a writer is he published only one book. Look at where a book posthumously published went by Dr. Seuss - My Many Colored Days. And, regarding Finding Forester how many file cabinets did he have of unwritten story ideas created in a lifetime in that movie - half a dozen full.

You will have to decide for yourself what value and what worth any writing holds, from this author's perspective. I deleted over 100 articles here at hubpages at the beginning of the year. Cream rises to the top without even a nudge. And, rust can be sanded and new paint applied and then you have a nostalgic hot rod worth 10X the initial investment. Ponder this, ponder that . . .

tim

Great comments tsmog...

All I can really say is.... "There is no crying in baseball!"

Or maybe what I should say is... There is no crying in Hubpages!

16. mackyi profile image65
    mackyiposted 11 years ago

Personally, I think there are 'readers' out there for each category. Also, many people on this platform enjoy Poetry, while others favor short stories, and so on. These people may be writing for the fun of it, and are not interested in monetary side of it. To be honest with you, I like poetry, however, because I am here trying to make a few dollars to supplement my main income stream, I try to stay away from poetry writing niche!

17. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

From my perspective, coming up on three years here next month, a well-written short story will do pretty well and climb up the scoreboard.  Poetry does fine but I have had very few of what I would call "bullets" on the poetry side.  I attributed that mainly to the fact that some readers just do not care for poetry and ignore it.  Those same readers will dive right into a good short story.  Either way, you have to grab their attention early and really hang on to it to keep the traffic going on the hub in either form.  With regard to income, neither one is going to win any great accolades.  I am not sure there is a form of writing at HP that does earn any serious money.  I have not seen it.  ~WB

1. mattforte profile image86
      mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You haven't seen it - doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are plenty of people that make money here, myself included.

Thanks for commenting.

18. JohnGreasyGamer profile image74
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

My series called "The Shaman" brought in quite a lot of views, and over a long period of time it's become quite popular. Poems too, no matter how bad or illegible they are, can still attract many a Hubber, many of my followers of which like to stop by and comment! It's good motivation, and I write not for money nor my own pleasure, but for the enjoyment of my followers and the rest of the HubPages community ^^

I like that attitude... I really do but every time I hear someone say that they don't write for money I think of Jack London and his comments on shoveling coal. I'll have to look at The Shaman. Thanks for commenting.

19. NateB11 profile image86
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

I had one poem on this account and a bunch on an alternate HP account, and I threw them all out; actually, I put them on Blogger. But I was spending a lot of time editing them to keep them alive on here, took time away from more constructive work.

20. Stephanie Henkel profile image92
    Stephanie Henkelposted 11 years ago

While I don't generally write poetry or short stories, I do write occasional humor pieces. I think  if you do mainly creative writing, that you are more likely to have a following of fellow Hubbers than outside viewers. This is great if you are looking for support and comments from fellow writers, but not so much if you hope to make money. However, as long as your hub is not put into idle status, it's out there for the world to find...you never know who might discover it!

Hadn't really thought of that. I've one hub that I wrote when I first joined that was meant to be humor. I had anticipated deleting it after a month or two but it's doing surprisingly well compared to others.... even still. Thanks for commenting.

21. jaydene profile image61
    jaydeneposted 11 years ago

that is good to know because i  was going to put in one  poem,
    maybe the way to do it is publish  a few together. 

Depending on what the topics are about  in the
    the poems, I wouldn`t know about the income part. maybe matching subjects in amazon or ebay could help.  making money here is a long term thing.I think ones that earn have a few hundred hubs.

22. Dale Hyde profile image66
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

Mine have all been idled by HP, so I have had to move them elsewhere.

Thanks.

23. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 11 years ago

First, I'm an Internet marketer and blogger -- not a poet -- so all I have is an opinion.  I hear that most poems don't do well here.  But other types of content can be unsuccessful too.  Why do some hubs -- even poetry hubs -- do well while others gather dust?

Here's what I know:

1.  If you want to make money via the Ad Program, you need lots of views, and your main source of views will either be Google searchers or other hubbers.

2a.  To get Google traffic, you need to incorporate KEYWORDS into your poetry hubs, either in the poem itself or in the summary.  I'd go with the summary and also a little blurb at the top of the hub that says more or less the same thing as the summary, maybe with a variation on the main keywords.  Read the articles in the "Choosing Topics" section of The Learning Center for help.

2b.  You'll also need links on other sites pointing at your hubs/profile to gain traction with Google.  The links must be from RELEVANT sites, though, and the higher those sites rank with Google, the more effective they will be in boosting your own hubs in the search rankings.

To get links from these other sites, you'll need to find them.  Join communities of other poets online.  Contribute to their contests, comment in their forums and blogs, share your poems with them and link back to your HP profile.  These kinds of BACKLINKS can make a difference.

3.  To get internal, HubPages traffic, you need followers...genuine followers who read, leave comments, and share your work.  Seek them out by exploring the "Books, Literature, and Writing" category of hubs.  Make friends with other poets on HP.  Comment on their hubs, share them, etc.  These will be your core followers, and they will help you make progress on HP.

4.  Social media traffic doesn't typically convert to ad clicks and sales as well as Google traffic, but the Ad Program pays you for traffic, not clicks.  Building genuine relationships with people on social media (and blogs and forums and HP) is a great way to get "free advertising" and build up a following.  It's hard for some of us at first, but even anti-social types can make friends online if they try.

5.  Writers, poets, bloggers, and freelancers who build a strong online presence do better than those who stay in their comfort zone.  HubPages can be a valuable part of your career strategy, but it shouldn't be the only place people can find you and your work on the Internet.

READ KAIYAN717'S COMMENT.

Good luck, everybody smile

1. profile image0
      chrisinhawaiiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Via Google AdWords Keyword Tool - in the last 30 days:

"Haiku poem" -- 2,900 searches
      "funny haiku" -- 1,300 searches
      "love poem for her" -- 1,300 searches
      "limerick poem" -- 1,300 searches

Try including KWs like these in summaries and backlinks.

Chrisinhawaii, thanks for the comment. I think that these are very good points and would be useful to anyone whatever their genre of choice.

3. ajwrites57 profile image86
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Nice critique! Thanks chrisinhawaii!

4. kaiyan717 profile image85
      kaiyan717posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct.  I get all of my money from the Ad program and thus views are king.  I forgot why I stopped posting to these forum, naysayers rejoice.  Truth is though, at least 2/3 of my hits are from Pinterest, Facebook, then google.

24. molometer profile image78
    molometerposted 11 years ago

I think mattforte, has pointed out the 'problem' with poetry, on any site not specifically devoted to poetry.

The search engines just cannot figure out, what poetry is about, and so have problems categorizing them for searchers. That's the business they are in.
    Search engines have enough problems trying to figure out what a 'How to' hub is about.

Some poets on hubpages do have a large number of followers, and so may make some income from their poems.
    Primarily though. The poets that I am familiar with on hubpages, write for the love of it and if they make some money. Then it is a bonus.

If you want to make any money from your poetry, then you need your own blog to gather a new readership around your poems. This will take time but at least you will have a following that like what you are producing.
    You could do the same thing on hubpages I suppose, if you just stick to poetry and become known on hubpages as a poet.
    There are several poets here that do just that.
    Whether they are interested in making money is another question.

Thanks for the comment. Matches mostly with my own thoughts. I keep seeing people post poems and while some of them are good I just wonder why here and not somewhere that they may do better...

2. kaiyan717 profile image85
      kaiyan717posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wesley, I post my poetry here for the simple fact of, why not get paid for it.  I used to use sites like allpoetry and thestarlitecafe for 15 years and with all those views I figure, hey might as well make a few bucks with it.  Just a thought.

25. Mekenzie profile image77
    Mekenzieposted 11 years ago

Poetry is not my general forte for writing.  I have written poetry at times when descriptive hubs could not communicate my heart.  This poetry has done very well.  I believe it is because I put a story about the poem before it. 

Mekenzie

26. Rosemay50 profile image60
    Rosemay50posted 11 years ago

I don't write to earn money, although I do earn some, not an income.
    Poetry like any other article can draw traffic.  My 3 highest scoring hubs that draw the most traffic are poetry.  All 3 draw double figure outside traffic daily, not large I know but good for poetry.  These were published in Sept & Nov 2011 and my highest published in January 2012.
    It is possible to create search terms within the hub by adding a note on the poetry or the reason for writing it or a story. And then of course your main input for the search engines is in the summery.  If key words are included in the summery your poetry is going to be found.

1. NotPC profile image59
      NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You make a really good point here Rosemay. I was a bit hasty in my answer, but you are absolutely right in saying that if you include a little extra, you really can make a poem work for HubPages. I'm excited to check out your poems now!

Interesting thoughts. Have you thought of putting your poetry into other forums. For example published a book of collected poems? Perhaps through Amazon or Smashwords?

27. MissJamieD profile image57
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

Honestly my articles, regardless of subject, get much more traffic than my poetry. I wish that wasn't true but it is.

Thanks for answering.

28. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

When I first began writing on HP, I quickly published several of my favorite poems.  They are still sitting at the "bottom of the barrel".  Low, low score and just enough views to keep them from sleeping.  I just ignore them and concentrate on "ever green" topics that do well.
    I look at those poems every day and wonder if I should just delete them (but I loved them so!).
    I do have about 6 short stories that do surprisingly well.  I'm not a good story teller, and I know that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)