jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do Hubbers use a plagarism checker?

1. Charles Arnold profile image59
    Charles Arnoldposted 8 weeks ago

Hi,

Conscientious writers diligently avoid plagiarism. After all, we all learned in Freshman English the evils of copying other folks' stuff. However, with millions of articles on the Web, it's easy to inadvertently duplicate a phrase. Maybe even a couple of phrases, from other articles.

Do hubbers submit their articles to a plagiarism checker, such as Grammerly?

Does Hubpages screen articles for plagiarism? If so, what service to they use?

What are the rules for staying clear of plagiarism?

We used to say "Bad writers plagiarize. Good writers quote." Is that still valid?

It's been a while since English 101, so please help me understand what constitutes plagiarism these days.

Best regards,

Charles Arnold
    St. Petersburg, Florida

1. theraggededge profile image100
      theraggededgeposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

I don't check my own work. I don't think inadvertently recreating/repeating a phrase is plagiarism. I think it has to be at least a few sentences or paragraphs containing significant 'duplicated' words.

I do check that others aren't copying my work by pasting in random sections of text into Google.

And sometimes, when we get asked to provide feedback here, you get the feeling, usually by a change in writing style, that someone has plagiarized. It happens all too often, I'm afraid. Invariably their profile will boast what great writers they are too. It's quite funny.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 weeks ago

To be guilty of plagiarism, you would have to copy (or paraphrase) a whole paragraph at the very least.  I can't imagine anyone doing that by accident.

3. Lisa Pearlman profile image61
    Lisa Pearlmanposted 8 weeks ago

Except First Lady Melania Trump wink (she read her speech which was basically same as Michelle Obama's lol)

working