How do you continue an ordered list between units?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Jean Harrisposted 7 months ago

I have a list of 30 items broken into 3 different text units. Each item is numbered. In the first text unit everything is fine, the items are numbered 1 to 10 in their ordered list. In the second text unit however if I apply the ordered list the number starts at 1 again.

I went into the html code and removed the ending tag for the ordered list in the first text unit but this is automatically replaced with a new end tag upon saving. I added the start="11" code to the ordered list in the second text unit and this is also automatically removed upon saving.

How do I continue the number sequence of an ordered list between units in the hubpages editor?

Thanks in advance.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 7 months ago

Jean, This has been an issue for me too.  In the past when I needed to control the starting number I tried adding the HTML code as you just mentioned. But I also noticed that HP removed that extra code. So presently there is no way to force it. My only solution was to use bullets instead of a numbered list.

1. Natalie Frank profile image96
      Natalie Frankposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Ditto - I just wrote an article call, "20 Great Writing Prompts to Get Your Writing Back on Track" which because of the number in the title I obviously wanted to number.  I divided them into two sections so I could put a picture in between and had the same problem you describe.  I tried numbering the first half with the tool then typing in the numbers in the second section but you cant format it so it looks the same even with manual spacing.  I then tried to use the number tool on the second half and see if I could just replace the numbers where they were.  I just ended up with to sets of numbers.  I ended up using bullets which I don't like for the reason above but don't have another option.  I can't think of a hack that will let you force it manually.  Maybe it could be suggested through new features.

3. Marisa Wright profile image96
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 months ago

It's frustrating, isn't it.  I haven't been able to find a way around it either.

1. profile image0
      Jean Harrisposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is frustrating since an editor asked me to number the 30 items to improve the article and I apparently can't unless I group them all into one unit, which would mean removing related images.

start ="11" type code needs to be allowed.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Well, the only solution at this time is what I mentioned above when you split a list between two capsules. I know what you mean about wanting to place an image between two sections of a list. That was exactly my reason for switching to a bulleted list.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 months agoin reply to this

Why not number manually rather than using the numbering program at the top of the page>

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 7 months agoin reply to this

If you number manually, you won't show up on search at the 0 position as it's not recognized then.

2. profile image0

I have the list currently identified with bullets but the editor specifically wants the entire list numbered. When I had it numbered manually it didn't pass the layout test, wasn't easy enough to scan.

Round and round I go smile  The first 10 are now numbered, the rest have bullets. It is what it is until I can actually do what's requested.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
            Glenn Stokposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Jean, I wouldn't mix numbers and bullets for the same list. Readers won't know that the bullets are a continuation of the numbered items. Why not just make all of them bullets.

Since the editor wants the entire list numbered, they obviously don't know the limitations when continuing in another capsule. I would suggest you refer the editor to this forum thread. Who knows, maybe they'll get someone to approve a programming change to allow us to use the start function.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 7 months ago

Yeah, they should allow the start function.

5. Azure11 profile image92
    Azure11posted 7 months ago

Yes I have wondered this too...

6. Marisa Wright profile image96

I think Glenn has the right idea.   Tell the editor it's impossible, and see what the editor says.  That's the only way this problem stands a chance of being highlighted to management.

1. profile image0

I'm leaving it as is - it was a problem regardless of which way I had it. Perhaps ugly will bring attention to the problem.

I had originally numbered each section manually but without an ordered or unordered list but that didn't work for them(hard to read). I made them all bullets but that's not ideal they told me. I can number a third of them so I did, the rest will get fixed when it's possible to do. I'll contact them soon.

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping hubbers had a trick around this.

7. Marisa Wright profile image96

Kinda unreasonable to ask you to do something that's impossible

8. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 7 months ago

We discussed this here but nothing came of it. The "start" attribute is "deprecated" in HTML 4, but as far as I can make out, a document has to be specified as HTML 5 for it to work, so I don't know where this leaves us.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … es-me-nuts

9. agvulpes profile image88
    agvulpesposted 7 months ago

Have you seen how it looks if you use 'bullets' and then place the number next to the bullet as part of the text in the line ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)