20 Ways to Annoy a Telemarketer

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I found this list and found it both hilarious and useful.

1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you sure could use some money.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "Why do you ask?" Alternatively, you can tell them, "I'm so glad you asked. No one seems to care lately, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died..." When they try to get the sale, just keep talking about your problems.

3. If they say they are John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Ask them to spell the company's name. Ask them where they are located. Continue asking them personal questions for as long as necessary.

4. If they are selling a lawn service to make your grass grow better, tell them it grows to fast now and green is not your favorite color anyway.

5. Cry out in surprise, "Judy! Is that you? Oh my! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.

6.  Say "No" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends...would you be my friend?"

8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood?
    Can you get out GOAT blood? How about HUMAN blood?"

9. After the telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

10. Tell the telemarketer that you work for the same company,
    they often can't sell to employees.

11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream "Oh No!" and then hang up.

12. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

13. Tell them it is dinnertime, BUT ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.

14. Tell the telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some food.

15. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.

16. Ask the telemarketer if they use the product they are trying to sell. If they do, ask for a complete report. If they don't, ask them why not since it is such a great product.

17. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

18. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder... louder... NOT THAT LOUD!

19. Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write
    EVERY WORD down.

20. Tell them that you are busy and ask for their phone number so you can call them back. If they say that they don't give out their phone number or they don't take calls, then ask for the caller's personal phone number at home. If then they say that they don't like being called at home, quickly say "Bingo!" and hang up.

Enjoy. I personally can't wait to try them out big_smile

1. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I kept having a newspaper , that was many cities away, call my house to get me to subscribe...I had caller ID and had a friend over one time when they called..
      The friend answered and started talking to them, finally said, I really wish you would stop calling, I know her very well and she can not read, she has been blind since birth..
      They NEVER called again

or I always say, Im a bit busy, why don't you give me your name, ID, number and extension, and I will call you back..better yet give me your home number and we can talk about it..

Telemarketers do not care for that too much  smile

2. IdeaMorphist profile image61
      IdeaMorphistposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blowing a whistle in the phone works well!

1. samboiam profile image60
        samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You folks are brutal. :-) People like you are why I am no longer a telemarketer.I do something less sterssful. I work in a maximum security prison.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

lol Oh dang I would have too much fun with those and I could so do #7 too well maybe even the one about getting the blood out of the rug hahahaha lol Nice post Alessia

3. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

haha....lol @ sore eyelashes" big_smile

one time i was on my way out the door and this guy wanted me to do a survey about pizza. i told him like three times i didn't have time and he said well can i call you back tomorrow and i said ok and then i added his number to my blocked calls list and i never heard from him again yikes

muwahahahaha...

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oooo cosette you mean! lol I like your style! LMAO

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heh. i had to get rid of him and he wasn't budging, so i thought ok throw him a bone, haha. big_smile

that's what he gets for bein' all pushy...

4. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I just say "sorry darlinks I not a speak a English no no," and go back and finish my sandwich.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

That was very cool list. smile

6. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I always liked Seinfeld's aproach (this is the second time I've referred to Seinfeld on this site... must be getting unoriginal)

Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What was Seinfeld's approach?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I'm busy right now, but if you could just give me your home phone number, I'll call you back at a time that's more convenient for me"

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Whenever I have a telemarketer call my home, I let them ramble off their words and then I say NO!

When they continue? I interject and ask if they are learning impaired?

And, when they ask me what I am talking about? I tell them....what part of NO didn't they understand.

That's just my take. smile

8. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I'm so lonely and desperate that any calls are welcome! They have to get rid of me! lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For some really strange and very odd reason, I really believe that. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol

2. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Earnest is it really like that?

9. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

When they get to the part where they are asking for my credit card or banking information, I tell the that I would gladly give them that information but only after they give me theirs.

10. profile image0
    Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years ago

I usually interrupt the telemarketer and ask for the purpose of the call. Afterwards, I state I am interested under one circumstance. When he or she asks for this circumstance, I state if it is free. As a result, the telemarketer ends the call.

11. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

My dad had lots of fun once when he was called and told they could lower his monthly mortgage payments by over $100 (or some number like that). He responded, "That's great. Yes, I'm very interested, since I don't owe anything you can just send me the money at my home address!" He played so much with telemarketers for a while that they were hanging up on him.

By the way, it's fun but mean. Telemarketers are not allowed to stop yakking until the customer hangs up -- they lose their jobs over that. I was one for a very short while, bosses didn't like that I accepted no from people so I had to start telling people that I'm not allowed to hang up so it's not rude if they did. (I don't believe in penalizing people for being polite!)

12. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Back when we got telemarketing calls I would make up stuff.  If they asked for my husband I'd tell them in a my most countrified accent, "sorry, he's on the tractor on the back forty" or that he just left me with two kids and a pile of bills to pay. 

Luckily, the "Do Not Call" registry has virtually eliminated that.

Sadly, the "Do Not Call" registry doesn't seem to work very well around here. sad

1. profile image0
        Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I receive calls from non-profits (and market research firms) and I believe they are exempt from the Do Not Call list. Or that is what they tell me.

1. Valerie F profile image60
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another thing- be careful about ads you click on. A lot of people click willy-nilly on stuff, and an unwanted "telemarketing" call is really a call to follow up and provide information they unwittingly requested. Such calls are also exempt from the Do Not Call registry.

13. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

The best way is to keep them holding on as they are expected to make a set number of calls per shift.

So after they have almost finished their sales script... butt in and Say.. Hang on.... can you hang on please?  Put down the phone and Use an alarm clock and/or the oven timer and set them for two minutes. 
    When it goes off... let it go for awhile and then reset it for another 2 mins.  Most of the time, there is no one on the line anymore.. becoz they don't know what to do when an alarm goes off.  If there is, ask them to repeat their pitch again and repeat the exercise on them. If it's on speaker.. then even better. yikes

14. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

I ask them to "hang on a minute" then I lay the reciever down and go for a walk.

15. TLMinut profile image59

If you have babies that like to play with the phone, you can let them "talk" on the phone. The baby's happy and it doesn't annoy any of your friends that don't want to hear a baby chatter incomprehensibly and then you fighting to get the phone back!

16. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

You just gave me something I'm going to use every day. Thanks. smile

17. Army Infantry Mom profile image62
    Army Infantry Momposted 14 years ago

LMAO,.. These are great idea's !!!! Heres some ideas to annoy people at the movies,...

1. Buy a really tall hat Sit in the front row. If someone asks you to take it off, tell them it's against your religion

2.Clap when something bad happens to the main character, boo when something good happens. During a really sad scene, start cracking up. During a happy/funny scene start yelling or crying

3.Start coughing very loudly/'choking. Point to/ask for the person-next-to-you's drink. If they offer it to you, drink the rest, including ice cubes. If they refuse to give it to you, stand up and yell "Fine! Let me die!"

4.Tap the person next to you and say "It's sure is dark in here." *Wink Wink*... *Wink* (Wink at them)

5.Preferably during the beginning of the opening stuff start screaming "No, not the voices! Anything but the voices". Also works when you're in a crowd, "An (Earthquake, flood, fire) We're all going to DIE!!!!!"

6.When the last people are entering the theater, stand up and start waving and yelling for them to join you. (They can be strangers or you can get a whole bunch of friends to come in late or even better yell to imaginary people.

7.Talk and laugh hysterically with your friends. When at least 10 people have shushed you, stand up and yell "Would you people SHUT UP! I'm trying to watch the movie!!"

18. TLMinut profile image59

The point is to annoy people who have started by annoying you, NOT to be an annoying obnoxious person yourself! It's funny to think about sometimes but I would never do it.

19. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

talk to them about joining the jahovas wittnesses

20. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about this subject.
    I especially like the ones where there is a recorded message that asks for your recorded response.
    I like to pretend like the message isn't working " Honey the phone rang-- and it sounds like someone trying to talk, but it is all garbled."
    Giving the phone to a small child is also good.

On a more serious note-- I have heard that you should never say "yes" to anything, because scammers can manipulate the message to make it sound like you agreed to buy something.

21. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

My Sister has a German Shephard that will bark at the phone as long as he can hear a voicce coming out of it. She does not have trouble with tele-marketers!

22. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I loved watching my uncle get rid of telemarketers.

One evening, during supper, the phone rang.  He answered it, listened for a while, then began sobbing.  "Why didn't you call two days ago?  My house just burnt down last night, and we didn't have insurance.  If you had called two days ago, we would be able to rebuild our home."

When the marketer hung up, he shrugged, "Don't know why those folks don't ever want to hang around and talk."

23. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I decided to look up the info about the Do Not Call Registry.  This is from the official site (donotcall.gov):

Who is covered by the National Do Not Call Registry?

The National Do Not Call Registry applies to any plan, program, or campaign to sell goods or services through interstate phone calls. This includes telemarketers who solicit consumers, often on behalf of third party sellers. It also includes sellers who provide, offer to provide, or arrange to provide goods or services to consumers in exchange for payment.

The National Do Not Call Registry does not limit calls by political organizations, charities, or telephone surveyors.

What about an established business relationship?

A telemarketer or seller may call a consumer with whom it has an established business relationship for up to 18 months after the consumer's last purchase, delivery, or payment - even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. In addition, a company may call a consumer for up to three months after the consumer makes an inquiry or submits an application to the company. And if a consumer has given a company written permission, the company may call even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry.

One caveat: if a consumer asks a company not to call, the company may not call, even if there is an established business relationship. Indeed, a company may not call a consumer - regardless of whether the consumer's number is on the registry - if the consumer has asked to be put on the company's own do not call list.

24. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago
  25. inspireyourspirit profile image57
    inspireyourspiritposted 14 years ago

I hardly answer my house phone because of telemarketers but now I'm looking forward to messing with them with all my new tips!  Thanks!

26. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Have fun! lol

27. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

big_smile:  This list is great! 

I've been a fan for years of just laying down the phone when they begin  reading their script.  I go about my business and eventually check the phone - they have long since hung up - and I never got a repeat phone call.  Of course now with caller ID, I just don't answer unless they've called several times in a short timeframe...and you don't want to be on the recieving end when I'm having to respond to one of these.  big_smilebig_smile:

28. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

ask them if they are intrerested in your own  business, also ask for a full name, bade number and an extention where they and their supervisor can be reached at

1. marcofratelli profile image79
      marcofratelliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree! If it's to do with a telephone service, just tell them your company provides you with the phone and you are not allowed to alter the plan. I did that once, legitmately, and they just said "oh ok, thank you. bye"! No point going any further!

29. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

If there is female on other side of phone, i don't mind going off-topic. tongue

30. Happyontheinside profile image71
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

Just wanted to stop by and say how much I love the fact that this thread is on the entertainment forum...LMAO

31. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

Im doing #19 tomorrow. So determined Haha smile

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just so you know, telemarketing sucks enough as a job without people deliberately making it more difficult. If you find a call annoying, just be honest. Say you're not interested, and you'd like your number removed from their lists or databases. Most of the time, you'll get a nice, "Okay, I'll do that for you. Have a good day," and everyone's happy.

But regarding being annoying, trust me. Phone workers have already heard everything plus death threats before, and none of it is original or clever.

32. jossecarr profile image61
    jossecarrposted 14 years ago

With the call screening/blocking system I recently got, all the calls not included in my preset list of contacts are directed to my voice mail or callers would hear busy tone. This way I would not hurt telemarketers feeling.
    Besides they are just doing their job.

33. Glenn S. profile image59
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

I do my best to remember that these folks are just the messingers doing their job. However, they shouldn't be calling you if you signed up on the no call list.

Nevertheless, when I do get a call, I try to be polite as possible and encourage them to speak as long as they want. I put down the phone and check everyonce in a while to see if they have hung up.

Or, I encourage a conversation to waste as much of their time as I can. This is can also be fun.

The best bet is to screen your calls through phone ID, or the answering machine.

34. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

OMG  once I had a telemarketer call and I completely agreed to buy whatever it was they were selling, just to get them off the phone, right?  10 minutes later they knocked on my door!!  I just about died cuz I didn't have the money!  Anyway, I pretended to not be home, and they called back!!  this continued for about 30 minutes until they finallly gave up.  LOL

this was before the No Call list btw

35. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Tell them that you are thinking of killing yourself if one more telemarketer calls and then fire a gun into the air!

36. profile image53
    mvh676posted 7 years ago

Tell him/her in a frightened voice, "Thank goodness you called when you did! I've been held captive here for 3 years! My kidnapper left, but he chained me to the wall and I had to dislocate my own shoulder to reach the phone! Send help!" If they haven't hung up by now, say, "Oh no! He's coming back! Hurry!" Then hold the phone out from you and scream loudly. If you have another person with you, have them be the "kidnapper" and threaten to kill you if you do this again.

37. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Yeesh.  I've never understood why people are so mean to telemarketers.  They're doing their jobs.  If you're that bothered by unwanted phone calls then put your name on the DNCL and it'll eliminate a majority of them.  My name is on it and I get maybe one call per year from an exception.

It takes way less time to nicely say "I'm not interested, thanks" and hang up the phone than it does to deliberately make someone's job harder.  Plus the added bonus of, you know, not making another human feel like crap about their job.

I think sometimes people forget that there's a real person on the other end of the phone.  A mother or a father who is doing a very difficult job to support their family, perhaps.  If you think trying to annoy them is super fun then I think you're probably naturally pretty unpleasant and don't need a list to work from.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)