jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Can Google Analytics Show a Trend of a Page's Ranking over a Period?

1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

It shows traffic for a page over a chosen length of time, but how about page ranking for a specific keyword or phrase?
    If not, is there any other way of examining ranking trends? Increases or decreases of traffic don't of course necessarily mean that ranking has changed.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Have you looked at Google Trends?  This gives you a basic idea of how various topics are doing over a period of time, which can help you to know how what you are writing about fits in.

eugbugposted 2 months agoin reply to this

No, but I'll take a take a look. I was hoping there was a way of checking the trend of a hub's ranking over time.

2. promisem profile image96
      promisemposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, Google Search Console, which is no longer available to HubPages, is the best way to track ranking trends for keywords and pages over time.

A handful of keywords is available under Acquisition / All Traffic / Channels. They actually just show the number of page views for certain keywords. Again unfortunately, Google blocks most of the keywords in that report.

2. paradigmsearch profile image92
    paradigmsearchposted 2 months ago

AdWords has been a mess in the past, but it might be straightened out these days. I don't know. smile

3. Kenna McHugh profile image88
    Kenna McHughposted 2 months ago

That is an interesting point to consider. I would define "page over a chosen length of time" and "ranking trends."

4. lobobrandon profile image91
    lobobrandonposted 2 months ago

Yup as promisem says, Google webmaster tools is the best way to do this. There are other ways and software that track ranking which cost you quite a bit each month. You could look up traffic travis. I used to use it when we had subdomains. See if you could maybe get it to work for individual URLs. I know that the free version allows you to use just one site and track certain keywords. So you could track just dengarden for the keyword guide to hose fittings for instance.

eugbugposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hmm. Ok, thanks Brandon, I'll investigate Traffic Travis and see what I can do with it!