Help! I MUST be doing something wrong... 39 hubs -- earnings = 4.94

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Ann Smith profile image61
    Ann Smithposted 15 years ago

Okay, guys!  What am I doing wrong here?  I have written 39 hubs, and only made $4.94 on AdSense.  That must be the hardest earned $4.94 of my life - no joke!  I made more than that in one evening of babysitting 25 years ago.

HELP!!  Please!! 

I have heard it takes time, but gosh, time has passed!  My hubs are not poorly written ... (sorry if that sounds vain, but I am confident that they are not)...

Can't help but feel that I just am not in on how this game works...

- Ann

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I'd say here's all my best advice in a nutshell, but it's not a nutshell... it's a hub.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

Ann, have you determined which of your Hubs are doing the most earning and why?  Take a look at your Hub Metrics (one of the stats tabs) to quickly get an idea of what's doing the best, then go check those Hubs in Google Analytics to get a lot more in-depth info.

Then build more Hubs like the most successful ones you have now.

3. Ann Smith profile image61

Thanks, relache.

Your hub is very informative and well written.

I guess I am going to have to study it more closely and keep at it.  While I thought I had some understanding from all the time put in so far, clearly I have not hit that zone to earn much of anything....

My earnings are so small at this point that it seems tough to do analytics.  Not enough data there...

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Google Analytics reports traffic, not clicks, so there should be plenty of data across 39 Hubs.

When it comes to PPC, traffic is the key. If you get more traffic, you get more clicks. See where your traffic is coming from.

Did you research keywords before you started to see whether people are searching for info on  the topics you have chosen?

Getting search engine traffic is the best way to increase your earnings, and that means understanding what people are searching for, and how Google, Yahoo and MSN decide which pages to show in their search results.

If most of your traffic is internal HubPages readers, you will not get very many clicks.

Jenny

4. Journey * profile image66
    Journey *posted 15 years ago

Hi Ann,

I read relache's hub too and it is very helpful. I recommend taking her advice.

Kudos relache!

5. riotgrrrl profile image68
    riotgrrrlposted 15 years ago

how do you know whether your getting google search engine traffic?

and how can you search for popular googled 'keywords'
    xx

1. fava profile image60
      favaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Try https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and tell it to look at your webpage content.  It will provide a list of suggested keywords and what the advertisers are paying for them.  You can then tweak your page to include the better paying ones.

fava

1. ajcor profile image60
        ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

am just trying this out and am going to put their keyword suggestions onto two of hubs now...thanks for this brilliant bit of advice...cheers

1. fava profile image60
          favaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Be sure to focus the hub more on the keywords rather than merely including them.  If the adds that are shown have little to do with the actual content then then visitors are not going to click on them.

There is no point on having a higher payout if your click rate drops to zero.

fava

1. ajcor profile image60
            ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

point taken - will just add  in or massage what is already on my hubs for the possible inclusion of the correct keywwords - but really like your url for the free prgram - thanks

6. Ann Smith profile image61

Thanks, all!  Wouldn't it be great if there were a hubpages webinar tutorial on all of this stuff? 

As far as the Google analytics, perhaps I am looking at the wrong place??  Have checked the Google AdSense report, and everything appears to be consolidated.  It seems to simply show number of clicks, but not by page or anything like that.

Again, thanks.

1. gbrgn profile image60
      gbrgnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have to copy-paste each individual hubpage address into the custom url within adsense. Only then will you be able to see the data for each hub.

2. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ADSENSE is not ANALYTICS.

Go to google.com/analytics and register.

Create a URL channel using your HubPages profile page as the URL.

Take the code Analytics gives you for that channel (something like UA-2485354-4) and paste it in your "Affiliate Settings" page where it says "Analytics".

Wait a day or two.

Log back into Analytics and look at the data for that URL channel.

Don't worry about making a separate channel for each Hub at this point, get the basics done first then you can get fancy later if you decide it's worth doing. I haven't ever needed to do it, because the "top landing pages" information tells you which Hubs people are visiting.

Jenny

7. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Ann - had a quick look at your hubs.  You are a great writer but the hubs I looked at didn't seem targeted to particular key words and so the ads appearing weren't very relevant to the content. 

It is a difficult tradeoff but you have to decide how much to focus on quality writing and how much to chase the cash!  Good Luck!

8. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Ann,

Do you promote yourself?   Just being part of HubPages means your Hubs get some traffic without you even trying - but you do need to do some work yourself.  Ask Misha - have you noticed he has only a few Hubs, yet he earns good money.  That's because he spends more time promoting and gaining an audience than he does writing! 

I earned nothing for the first three months, but I've just got my second payout and am half way to my third - and I've only written one Hub a month for the last six months or so. So once you hit your stride, I'm sure things will start happening for you!

9. rmshdc profile image56
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

Promoting the required for higher earning.  Participate in Forums and also comments on the hubpages you like.

While asking a little similar question, I was advise serval hubbers to write comments on hubpages.  I have seen results improve when you write comments in hubpages or reply in some forum discussion.

also the so called 'NUTSHELL" by relache is very elobrate and give LOTS of tips on higher earning.  Please spend time to read through all the pages of RELACHE on the higher earnings in hubpages.

10. riotgrrrl profile image68
    riotgrrrlposted 15 years ago

lots of wonderfull advice here, you guys are fab!
    but can i just ask again, how do we search for frequently googled 'key words'? as it sounds like research into whats 'hot' and whats 'not' is important stuff!

1. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Keywords are Paramount!  Here's a hub I wrote on the subject:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/keywords-defini … t-keywords

11. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL it is called keyword research, and it should be a foundation to all your work if you want to make money. The topic is too big to be covered in one post, one thread, one forum or one site smile

You can start educating your self here http://www.seofaststart.com/ . I already posted this on another thread tonight, but it does not hurt to repeat here. This is the best material on the subject I know about, and it is free.

Good luck smile

1. rancidTaste profile image62
      rancidTasteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha, you are so helpful... I find a great link from you. Thanks.... !!  smile

12. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

yupp,  kw research is the key, plain and simple...You can also write about what you love and incorporate good paying keywords into the topic.

13. alexd181 profile image60
    alexd181posted 15 years ago

Ann, the hardest money earned for me has been through Google adsense too. $20 per 100,000 pageviews on one of the blogs I ran. That was until I learned to optimize adsense -- most of the tips given in this post are effective. Overall adsense does not pay that well in comparison to other methods (e.g. affiliate programs).

BTW some people have mentioned that you can't track which pages get the most adsense earnings through Analytics. That's not true. You can track all your adsense earnings through Analytics, including CTR, eCPM and revenue per page as well as which traffic sources provide the most adsense revenue. However this is in beta testing at the moment and not available on all accounts. I'm sure it has a good chance of being made standard across all accounts sometime in 2009 however.
    Edit: I decided to write a hub about this to explain further -- http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Link-Goo … -Analytics

14. ajcor profile image60
    ajcorposted 15 years ago

Thanks for asking the question Ann  I am nearly to $50 in adsense but it has taken quite a bit of time so now with all this wonderful advice I may get to the $100 payout point a little sooner.. hope you achieve your adsense payout a lot faster also... cheers

15. adrainsean profile image41
    adrainseanposted 15 years ago

hello Inspirepub
    as you have mentioned to  give the url of  our profile page in analytics

i have just one  more question can anyone please help with it  quickly

does the URL imply as

http://hubpages.com/profile/adrainsean

or does have to  a URL as LINK to the Page like this

http://hubpages.com/_1jtv0odb531zz/profile/adrainsean

i think it is second one as it is the one which has a tracker , please let me know  ASAP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)