jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Hub Series Title Format Help

1. stubbs profile image61
    stubbsposted 9 years ago

Hi guys im going to start a new series of hubs but im not sure how to format the title. There will be the name of the series and then the name of the individual hub. Should I have it like this (not real title but example):

Types of Hats: The Baseball Cap
    or
    Types of Hats : The Baseball Cap
    or
    Types of Hats The Baseball Cap
    or
    Types of Hats-The Baseball Cap
    or
    Types of Hats - The Baseball Cap

There's a subtle difference I know but im not sure which is more pleasing to the eye( /Google he he) so opinions or even suggestions would be most welcome.

thank you
    Stubbs

2. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

I use colons and dashes depending on my mood, I dont think it matters which, but I'd definitely have something in between.

You might also consider using "hat styles" instead of "types of hats" just cos it seems a more natural phrase someone might type into google.. 2 words instead of 3, cos people are lazy feckers. wink

3. stubbs profile image61
    stubbsposted 9 years ago

thanks Isabella.

I'm not really making hubs about hats i was just using it as an example but thank you anyway.

4. Isabella Snow profile image86

Oh, cool - I'll steal that idea myself, then. wink

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 9 years ago

Based on my experience, I would put product name first, category name second. And it does not matter what delimeter you use, as long as you use one.

We are talking search engines, not people here smile

6. Isabella Snow profile image86

Ive been experimenting with order, as far as product name or tip genre, or whatever, and they all seem to generate the same amount of traffic for me, as long as they're in an order people search  on.

I mean.. how does a search engine decide whats highest ranked? Isnt it by how many people are searching / clicking on specific links and titles??

7. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 9 years ago

Isa,
    It's all about duplicate content issue, not about ranking. SE deem starting words in title more important, and you want diversity at the beginning...

8. Isabella Snow profile image86

But.. with millions of pages.. does diversity really exist anymore? And if it does - how often do people search it out?

9. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 9 years ago

You might consider making a group for your series, i.e. Types of Hats and actually leave that part of the actual Hub titles.  It will make them less repetitive that way and connect them all together.

10. stubbs profile image61
    stubbsposted 9 years ago

thanks for the suggestions guys i think i know what im going to do

working