ummmm. woah. WEIRD! Scientology Ad (non-clickable)?!?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Ok, so I was just looking at my new hub on Children's Birthday Party Favors.

And....I see this animated image that is a burst of sun and then stops with a navy blue background and white text that says simply says: scientology.org. It doesn't say ads by google or anything AND when I put my mouse over it, it didn't change the cursor (so it's not even clickable!) They must be paying per impressions.

What is this though? A non-clickable ad? This made it look like I put a scientology graphic on my page and I don't want my visitors thinking this! lol I have no problem if this was to display on an article about religion, but children's birthday parties? I'm aware of the debate surrounding scientology and I'd imagine that many readers wouldn't appreciate seeing scientology ads, or in this case, scientology graphics.

I tried taking a screenshot but I'm on a computer right now with an Ubuntu operating system and it didn't work...grrr.

Anyone else seen this? I refreshed a few times but just get Birthday Express' Kung Fu Panda ad.(I don't want to refresh too many times)

1. brad4l profile image71
      brad4lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should just be able to hit the Print Screen Button, which is usually labeled "Prt Scr," and a dialog box will pop up asking you where you want to save the image.

The Print Screen Button(Prt Scr) is located in the top right section of most keyboards, above the delete/insert/home/end/pageup/pagedown buttons.

You can also be able to goto Applications -> Accessories -> Take Screenshot and a dialog box will pop up that lets you take a screenshot of the entire desktop, current window, or select a portion of the screen.

The attached image is of when you press the print screen button.

http://i44.tinypic.com/mbts2h.jpg

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

The same with me. The ad is all over the place and I hate it. sad
    But it's clickable.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you able to right click and do Copy Link Location? And paste it here minus the 'http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/' bit at the start.

I'd like to see where it's sending the traffic

1. Haunty profile image74
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, but when I left click it I'm taken to this site:

www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gcli … 5QodsElRBA

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I've just added scientology.org to my Competitive Ad Filter

Hopefully HubPages HQ will do the same.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

And it's not a Google ad?

'Course this means it's under HP's impressions but that's really weird. I wonder who is serving it?

4. Sufidreamer profile image76
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Haunty - I hate it too. I have hubs picking apart pseudoscience and then a Scientology advert appears. sad

EM - Maybe Hupfer has joined the cult smile

5. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

LOL Sufi!

This might be something Hubpages might want to correct. I haven't seen this advert, but I don't believe that it's appropriate, on science hubs or on religion hubs. Scientology is very, very hot-button right now and many people find it offensive!

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH Don't you just love Tom Cruise?

7. Sufidreamer profile image76

EM - Agreed: no idea why they are doing this. I can imagine that somebody writing a religion based hub feels exactly the same.

Pearldiver - Nope, although I always had a soft spot for Nicole Kidman wink

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I found in interesting religious slant in The Emerald Tablets.
      Of course the teachings of Mr. Hubbard also bear a resemblance.

8. Sufidreamer profile image76

Must admit, I have never read the Emerald Tablets - maybe something else to add to the ever-lengthening list of books I need to read. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You will find it an 'interesting' slant on Atlantis

9. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

You are not the only one complaining about the Church of Scientology.

In an unprecedented effort to crack down on self-serving edits, the Wikipedia supreme court has banned contributions from all IP addresses owned or operated by the Church of Scientology and its associates.

Wikipedia Crack Down on Church of Scientology

10. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Haven't seen this, but I wonder if this is the add that my computer security system keeps blocking.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Ron L Hubbard's brew of pop-psychology and second rate science fiction is stupid beyond belief!
    Tom Cruise displays his naivety in several online interviews about scientology. I am sick of seeing their ad too.

12. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 14 years ago

I hope I don't get sued for posting in this thread by the Church of Scientology. J/k.
    Anyway, I'm getting the ad, too. I think you can block particular ads that come through AdSense, if it's an AdSense ad. Just go to AdSense.com and there will be directions there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)