jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you tell people that they mispelled?

1. tim-tim profile image75
    tim-timposted 8 years ago

Do you tell people that they mispelled?

What kills me is that some hubs or their Bios have so many mispelled words that it hurts my eyes to read but they have a lot of fans. Good morning everyone:)

2. .Ninna. profile image54
    .Ninna.posted 8 years ago

I'm fairly new here, so I haven't browsed around much yet. I'd probably inform them of the typo if I chanced on one. I am quite a stickler for correct spelling myself, so in the online writing community I'm a part of, I have no qualms of pointing out the mistake that needs to be corrected. I think that more often than not, those on the receiving end are grateful for the help since it makes their piece better, or sometimes, they simply don't know that they spelled a word wrong, so they learn in the process as well.

3. Dark knight rides profile image73
    Dark knight ridesposted 8 years ago

I don't. Quite frankly, I'm not really here to teach people to spell. It's funny to me that just the other day my accounting professor impressed upon us how important it is to make sure spelling and grammar are correct when we write, because its our professional image being impacted. On here, its much the same. How you perceive the writer is going to be influenced by how they write. And it seems that many people either don't know that or don't care, and that's up to them, isn't it?

4. tim-tim profile image75
    tim-timposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the answers. I do appreciate when people correcting my spelling. I do understand that it is so hard to have everything right especially when English is not your first Language. It is too bad that some of the spell check/grammar check programs are not fool proof. Someone please check my spelling and grammar:)

5. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 8 years ago

Shouldn't that be "misspelt"? tongue

Don't worry, I'm only teasing. I'd only ever correct someone's spelling if I thought it had a potentially adverse impact on what they were trying to communicate. Then, I wouldn't point it out as a misspelling directly. I'd ask them to clarify their point, explaining why I didn't understand the sentence as a whole. This would point out the spelling error without being rude about it, or embarrassing them in any way.

Closed to reply

working