jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Why do so many HubPages users ask questions in extremely broken English?

1. teendad profile image61
    teendadposted 8 years ago

Why do so many HubPages users ask questions in extremely broken English?

The users seem to have American or English names, but many times the questions make no sense whatsoever. And, many times, other users try to answer the questions anyway!

2. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 8 years ago

Would you mind if I answer your question? Well, they use poor English maybe because they are not well educated or they did not go to a good school. Financial problems could be a reason. Many of them use western profile names because they think western people don't give much importance to people from the east. What do you say?

3. teendad profile image61
    teendadposted 8 years ago

guidebaba, I'll entertain your theory, however, I do see questions like:

i am 22 years of age single, from Nigeria. i need your help in my collage.

This user did not have a western profile name, but we all know this individual is neither pursuing higher education nor French paper crafts. Such questions just adds to the amount of spam on HubPages.

4. Flightkeeper profile image72
    Flightkeeperposted 8 years ago

Often times it is because the HubPage user has English as a second language so they may not be familiar with American colloquialisms and the grammar might not be appropriate.  HubPages is available worldwide although the English language is the only one that is used. I think it's actually nice that they try to engage in a website where they have difficulties with and try hard to use a foreign language.

5. profile image51
    mpchekuriposted 8 years ago

hubpages is used by users from world wide and every body may not be knowing english. But they would like to communicate with world.

6. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Many American HubPages users ask questions in extremely broken English because of:

1. They are limited by a maximum of 100 characters in asking the question.

2. The hubpages Q&A editor has no autosuggest dictionary

3. It’s not possible to edit a question once posted

4. What you call "extremely broken English" may be the “keyword” needed by the user asking the question

5. They are in a hurry and they don't care. Do you pay them?

6. There are some (not all!) American who are good in spoken English but poor in written English – they are also humans.

7. Hubpages allows you to ask any question you like - there is “freedom to write” here at Hubpages.

8. Hubpages may initially have targeted American readers but currently it has grown so big that they now target the international readers and writers

9. Still, over 95% of all questions are written in acceptable English language

7. terced ojos profile image65
    terced ojosposted 7 years ago

The internet tends to be international. Except of course for those countries wherein it is heavily monitored.

I imagine that people who don't have a good command of the English try to post to some of the hubs and that's what you're seeing.

8. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

We can excuse those for whom English is not their native language.  They're trying.  It is the native speakers who are illiterate who are inexcusable.

9. theshadow profile image55
    theshadowposted 7 years ago

Im not reely shoor.Mebbe its coz dey donta speaka to goood de inglish.

10. THE-QUEEN profile image58
    THE-QUEENposted 7 years ago

I don't know why, but I'm guilty of it. I don't think it's done purposely.

11. profile image0
    u-earn-moneyposted 5 years ago

That's exactly how they will express themselves in their native language.