jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is anybody else having trouble formatting poetry in capsules?

1. Aya Katz profile image87
    Aya Katzposted 8 years ago

I'm having trouble with line breaks in poetry being interpreted as paragraph breaks, when I input poetry into capsules by hand typing.

I tried to use the "preformatted" feature, importing the poem from Word, but then my browser went into a loop and never came back. This happened several times when I attempted it. My browser is Mozilla Firefox.

1. Lady_E profile image82
      Lady_Eposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I've just used double line spacing b/w paragraphs on all my poetry Hubs. (I've noticed, when I cut and paste if from word, it loses its format in HP)

1. Aya Katz profile image87
        Aya Katzposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've done that before in other hubs. However, it takes up so much space, and if the poem is just a small part of a prose hub, then it's a huge distraction.

I'm considering importing the formatted poem as a jpg file and putting it in a photo capsule, but there's got to be a better way!

2. larryfreeman profile image83
    larryfreemanposted 8 years ago

Hi Aya,

Thanks for reporting this.

I'll take a look to see what's up.

There are some known problems with the <pre> tag and I am hoping to get them fixed before the next site update.

I'll post on this thread when I have an update.

-Larry

3. Aya Katz profile image87

Thanks, Larry.

4. Mike Craggs profile image73
    Mike Craggsposted 8 years ago

You could just use the html setting in a text capsule to take out the unnecessary paragraph tags. I put a hub up on it the other day:
    Formating A Poetry Hub

5. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

Aya - if you use the smallest heading format (H4) for the whole poem, it looks just fine, and it's also in a normal font, not the monospaced font you get with pre.
    For example:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Seven-Sonnets-f … ntines-Day

6. Aya Katz profile image87

Thanks, Mike and Paraglider. It seems there are many alternative ways to solve the problem.

working