jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Hub ranking has me kerflumped

1. lrohner profile image81
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

I've got, I think, 15 hubs now. Some were created just for fun. I'm trying to earn a little on the others.

My Nutella hub is performing the best in organic search engine traffic and is ranked on the first page of google for 'nutella recipes'. This hub falls into the 'just for fun' category, though. There are enough folks searching for the keyword, but the CPC for the keyword is only 5 cents. And while you can purchase Nutella from Amazon, I don't know why you would as you can get it right at the grocery store.

My absolutely worst performing hub (in terms of organic search engine traffic) is my "Healthy Snacks for Kids" hub. That's one of the ones I thought I would earn some $ on. I did all my research in the Google Keyword Tool (shows a $1.41 CPC) and Wordtracker's G Trends tool (less than 30k competition, more than 100 searches - perfect ratio).

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions???

1. fayans profile image70
      fayansposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Take a look at the PR of those whose sites sit nicely on the first page of Google, you'll come to a realization that it's pretty hard to rank anywhere in the top 5.

But still it's possible.

2. relache profile image91
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

the only thing you are doing wrong is openly discussing your click-thru rates, which is a violation of Google's TOS for AdSense.

lrohnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I didn't discuss any CTR. Were you talking about the CPC I quoted? That is the cost-per-click given by Google's keyword tool for certain keywords. It's fine to discuss that.

2. Pearldiver profile image82
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

What are you doing wrong?

NOTHING......... smile

3. AEvans profile image79
    AEvansposted 8 years ago

You are doing nothing wrong, it is what it is.:)Keep on hubbing!!big_smile

4. lrohner profile image81

Thanks AE and Pearl. Any suggestions on how to get the 'healthy snacks' hub ranking higher in Google???

5. frogdropping profile image87
    frogdroppingposted 8 years ago

Irohner - I landed on hubs (or in) by accident and discovered the money/adsense thing afterwards. By that time I'd kicked quite a few hubs out.

Of course I've learned since then and now write some purposely aimed at monetisation - though for the main I still write a lot of nonsense.

Now my point is - the hub that earns me the most is in fact the second one I ever wrote. Why I don't know but it does. And even the very very accidental keyword is searched for so little that as an ad wotsit it's worse than useless.

The amount of thought I put into that hub amounted to me sitting at my keyboard amused at what I see living in Portugal. Then writing about it. No research, no keyword hunting, keyword placement, nada.

Yet folks read it and click. Go figure smile

6. lrohner profile image81

Good point, fayans. I just looked and all of the sites on page 1 and page 2 (exept for 1) are PR 3 or higher. Sigh...

Frogdropping - At least it's the one about living in Portugal. I would've given up completely if one of your death hubs was earning the most! (Much as I love those hubs of yours...)  smile

1. frogdropping profile image87
      frogdroppingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh ... now I never said they didn't earn either tongue Death is big business neutral

lrohnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh. I'm just picturing people buying coffins online!  smile

7. drummer boy profile image61
    drummer boyposted 8 years ago

When you figure out what you are doing wrong, please let me know.  I do not understand how to make money yet by doing this either.

working