linking another hubber, or not

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

hey, I wrote a nice hub recently linking my hub to a fantastic hubber related to my topic. Though I thought it was a great honor, it made that hubber mad. Is linking a hubber occassionally bad ettiquette???

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd think it'd be a compliment smile

2. White Teeth profile image59
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a "fantastic hubber" myself, I would have to say that for myself it would be a great honor...unless you suck. I cannot say whether you suck or not at this time because I'm too drunk to see...and I'm too "fantastic" (and DRUNK...) to bother with such nonsense anyway...but I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and say "great honor" as my final answer.

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not to me it is a compliment I have linked quite a few hubbers to some of my hubs and have not ever had any issues. smile

4. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Asher, I have had a couple of links to my hubs from another hubber and was very pleased to have been asked. I think maybe the other hubber you refer to might have been annoyed because you didn't ask permission first. You wouldn't link to a web site without asking permission, right? Well some people are very particular about such niceties wink

1. embitca profile image85
        embitcaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If people are particular about this and actually getting mad about being linked to then they don't understand the nature of the internet and the fact that unless you have your stuff locked behind a password protected wall, it is public and can be linked to by anyone who happens by.

2. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong! I link to other sites all the time.

3. AsherKade profile image58
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

okay, I will ask next time...sounds like you did your research and know who I am taking about...I didn't want to defamate them on the forum. he/she is really good at hubs...hope I can be as popular someday...
        and I don't think he hub sucks, because I got A LOT of responses in favrable review...

5. k@ri profile image85
      k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have done it, and I would consider it a compliment.  Although, reading this, I guess I should have asked first!  Just so everyone knows...you don't have to ask me...I would consider it a compliment!  big_smile

6. Anti-Valentine profile image75
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe this hubber has the whole elite, "who the heck are you, noob?" mentality.

Can't see why else he/she/it wouldn't like it.

Maybe they could post in this thread and clarify why.

2. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

yea I thought so too. Hmm cuz I have done it too.

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too. I'd sooner link to a competent article by a fellow hubber than to an external page.

3. kmackey32 profile image63

LOL oh my. Wish I was drunk.

1. White Teeth profile image59
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tis one of the easier things in life...

4. kmackey32 profile image63

oh oops I didn't ask either..

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Wow...somebody got mad? hmm what's wrong with catching some extra traffic? I didn't ask either ...hmm I usually look for a newbie to hook up to ...then link to them n hope they catch some traffic. I don't mind anybody linking to me either big_smile tho mine are kinda boring tongue lol lol

6. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Hmmm...maybe that Hubber hates Alfred Hitchcock and transferred that emotion to your highly expressive logo?  LOL

Other than that wild-assed guess, I've gotta go with the "It's an honor" crowd.   To paraphrase a song lyric from an oldie but goodie,

"Link away!  Link away! Link Away, Hubber Land!!""

7. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Just so they know they really cannot control who links to them outside of Hubpages, so they are fighting a losing battle.  I do not mind who links to me because traffic is traffic after all.  I may not love every site that has ever linked to me, but I am certainly not going chase them down either.

8. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I link to hubbers who have written articles similar to mine or on the same topic.  Better for reader and the other hubber.  Keep them in house rather than looking somewhere else, even if it is not my article.  But if someone ever protests, I would gladly unlink it.

But perhaps the best approach is to ask first, even though I for one would appreciate it.

9. bigmikeh profile image69
    bigmikehposted 14 years ago

I have linked to several other hubs and never considered asking because Hubpages help for the link capsule says:

If you're looking for a great article on a certain subject, there's a pretty good chance that someone has already written a Hub on it,so why not link to it? Just type in what you'd like to search for, view the results and if there is a Hub listed that you would like to add to your Link Capsule, simply click Add Link to the left of the Hub title and it will be automatically added for you.

Why would anybody complain? Search engine ranking cannot be effected badly by inbound links, otherwise a competitor could bombard your hub or page with "bad links" to drag it down the search engine. Outbound links can affect ranking because they are the only ones we have control over. Hubbers should be more concerned about linking to a poor hub than getting links from other hubs.

10. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I've linked to good hubs, and been linked to, and have always been dead chuffed.

11. gurgel1 profile image61
    gurgel1posted 14 years ago

Complement.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)