Is it good to have high hub karma score

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ramkkasturi profile image60
    ramkkasturiposted 14 years ago

My hub karma score is going high. I  don't know if this means I am over linked to other hubs. But some how the traffic is down.No idea if this is because of  linking. Does it make sense to believe that those to whom we link will link back to our hubs?

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure it's safe to assume linking to other people will make those, specific, individuals more likely to link back to you.  If people operate the way I do they don't even know who links to their Hubs.  I'm guessing, though, that as all Hubbers are encouraged to link to other Hubs, chances are the - just because of that - the chances of getting your Hub linked by someone else are probably greater.

I haven't gone "link wild" (but now I'm using the in-text link feature).  I did notice my traffic was down yesterday, but it's been really good recently (so I think down traffic days just happen).

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know either, but My traffic has also plunged since implementing this new tool.  And so has my adsense revenue.  Coincidence?  Hmmm.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.  Now I'm getting concerned.   It will be interesting to see what other people say as the next day/days unfold.   hmm 

(I just looked.  So far, it looks OK, considering it's 8:06 Eastern time)

2. michifus profile image58
        michifusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you give people the chance to exit your site (via links) some people will take that option rather than click your Google Ads.

However....I think the reason why Hubpages wants you to do this is because lots of linked content within hubpages as a whole will improve the rankings that the pages get in the search engines.

Over time, hubpages hubs should rank better as a result of all of the links, even though initially a few people might wander off.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

A "few" people doesn't concern me much, but a sudden 35-40% drop off in traffic and clicks on articles which should still be pertinent to the season does concern me. 

Plus, quite a few of the incoming links have also suddenly diminished from what they were a few days ago before I began implementing the new tool.  Perhaps it's just coincidence, but I may go back and take out the links if things keep going in this direction.  What would I have to lose but the cheesy Hubkarma points?

1. profile image0
            Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually, Randy, I am with you. My Karma score has jumped to 80, because of linking, but traffic is showing double blue triangles. Might have to pull the plug on the karma and hope Hub Shiva doesn't notice.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, why did you put them in?  I thought you weren't buying into the whole Hub Karma thing?

My Karma is now 81 and the only linking I do in the text of my Hubs is to my own Hubs, which benefits me.  All my links to other Hubs are in RSS feeds at the very end of my Hubs.

I thought I might give HP the benefit of the doubt seeing as I can remove them anyway.  I'm trying to find out if it benefits the writers or HP more to use these links. 

It is easier for me to try it with less articles than for some who have so many to change.  But having less may also skew the results.  It will take several of us reporting our particular results to see the consequences of using the tool.  I still haven't "bought in" to using it yet.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
                Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Randy, if you read through all the forum posts, I think you'll find almost everyone feels the tool benefits HubPages as a whole, not the individual writer doing the linking - although what's good for the site must ultimately rub off on us.

2. darkside profile image59
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps. But there are already links to topics pages near the top and to other hubs in the right hand column, so I don't see the point of having more user generated links. Especially seeing that the primary result is that it would divert traffic AWAY from my hubs.

3. relache profile image66
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, not in the slightest.

2. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This might just have been a one-day, isolated, thing; but my earnings dropped from a long stretch of "really good" to yesterday (about one-fifth of what they'd been doing).  As I mentioned, I didn't go "linking wild", but the night before last I did go through several Hubs and add whatever links seemed to make sense.

Before that night, and before Hub Karma, I did have a lot of Hubs with links the "conventional HubPages way".  After HubKarma, I did add a few and wrote, I think, two Hubs and added in-text links.  It looked to me like my Karma score, which started at 47, gradually climbed to low 80's without my doing much (and that's where it's been for a few days).  (So, since HubKarma showed up, all I've done has been add that few trial links, write a couple of Hubs, and do that "night of linking", which was the night before the big drop.)  (I just thought it might be good to get the "details" on here, in case the drop isn't just a coincidence.)

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 14 years ago

mornin' all - last week when the question was asked about hubkarma no.'s - i didn't know what it was and still don't really understand it; anyway mine was 8 and now for some reason it is 46?  I don't sell anything, don't include advertising on my hubs and have not intentionally linked anywhere except the initial set up of default options provided when creating new hubs. So, after reading the posts here - I still don't get its purpose.  Oh well, the name sounds interesting at least - HubKarma!

Mine started out at 66 and after using the linking tool on a good many of my hubs it has gone up to 71!  5 points!  "You load 16 tons and what do you get......"   LOL!

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

So my hubkarma score is nice n high (90's) but if all this linking takes readers away from my hub, how do I benefit?
    Like Ive lost the reader,period, after working hard to keep them on my page -to click click click... hmm

1. Len Cannon profile image87
      Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ding ding ding

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Wow that was ....deep

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)