jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

how do you know if you can use a picture from the internet on to your hubs? I ju

1. Eddy2106 profile image80
    Eddy2106posted 7 years ago

how do you know if you can use a picture from the internet on to your hubs? I just seem to...

google pictures and add url, is that wrong? I mean is there a picture police out there that looks for this?

2. Tony Flanigan profile image61
    Tony Flaniganposted 7 years ago

99.9% of the images belong to someone. just taking it, for your own use is not cool.

Would you, as a photographer, be happy to see your pic's all over the internet, without, at BARE minimum, even your name? There are websites, such as sxc.hu that you can get images at no cost, but most require a link back to the photographer.

We have, on a few occassions asked website owners to either remove an image, or give credit.

There are no police, but there is such a thing as copyright infringement, and conscience.

3. Teresa Schultz profile image81
    Teresa Schultzposted 7 years ago

I agree with Tony, and would also like to answer the section where you ask "how do you know if you can use a picture?"

If just searching for images on Google, there is a warning in the vicinity that says that the picture may be subject to copyright.

If you can't find anything near the image on the page it is on, then look for something else on the page like "all content is copyright" - sometimes found at the bottom of Internet pages, or, if necessary, read the terms and conditions of the site.

You can always contact the owner of the site and ask their permission.  They may be pleased you want to use their photo as long as you either credit them, or link back to them, or both.  Perhaps some will even say you are welcome to take it without any credit being given to them, because you were nice enough to first ask!

4. TwO1FouR profile image58
    TwO1FouRposted 7 years ago

Read this hub by Edweirdo:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Legally- … -Your-Hubs

That should offer some help.

Just google an image - On the top, right below the search bar, click on Advanced Search - Go down to Usage Rights - go to labeled for commercial reuse - Now Search!

When you choose the picture its always good to check the copyright just to make sure.

5. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

so you write a piece and I copy it and put it on my website as my own, or I take it and print out and send it to a print publisher as my own, that's ok is it?  It's the same with pictures, you can't just take a picture from a site and use it, it is someones work, and there are programmes about that can spot pictures and derivatives very quickly, photographers use them to chase rights.
    Try flickr - creative commons

Closed to reply

working