Is the Pagerank of a backlink used from the domain or the subdomain?

1. easyguyevo profile image82
    easyguyevoposted 7 years ago

Is the Pagerank of a backlink used from the domain or the subdomain?

For example if I got a backlink from a webpage called lets say  www .computers. com/cpuforum
    If the pagerank of the domain (www .computers. com) was lets say 5 but the page rank of the sub-domain (www .computers. com/cpuforum) is 0. Will search engines recognize my backlink as a pagerank 5 or 0? I already know that they are some complicated calculations for weighing  backlinks in terms of boasting my serp (like the total amount of outgoing links on the page etc). I just want to know which one of the pageranks my backlink really has.

2. FindYourSearch profile image60
    FindYourSearchposted 7 years ago

First, let me get this out of the way, just to clear up the terminology: “” is a subdomain; “” is a subfolder or an interior page. So you appear to be actually asking about domains versus interior pages, not subdomains, which are a different animal. Now that’s out of the way...

The short answer is, your backlink will be valued at the interior page’s PR, not the root domain’s. However, assuming the root domain links to that interior page in some way, it will pass some of its juice to that interior page which will then reflect on the value of the backlink. You won’t get all the value of being linked to from the PR5 page, but you will get more than if the entire site was a PR0.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

3. wmspringer profile image60
    wmspringerposted 7 years ago

Each page has its own pagerank, so you'll get the rank from whichever page is actually linking to you. A popular scam on the internet is to claim that you'll get a link from a PRX site, then actually link from an interior PR0 page that nobody ever looks out.

Closed to reply