Has anyone had any success with .edu or .gov back links?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (32 posts)
  1. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 14 years ago

There are many .edu and .gov sites at the moment that allow a back link through either a blog dofollow comment or forum profile dofollow link.

I have about three hundred such links that are auto approved in joining the forum or making a comment. ( I know, the list is gold).

My question is, has anyone had success using these types of backlinks? If so how many or how often did you use them?

I am also wondering if anyone used these types of backlinks was their site punished or actually promoted in the search engines?

The links I have are spam free in the comments area and for all intents and purposes fall on a sound edu and gov authority site making any activity seem natural.

1. Starfishfelix profile image61
      Starfishfelixposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not an expert at SEO at all, but my understanding is that backlinks can't hurt, although they might be ignored if Google doesn't like them.  The reasoning is that you have no control over your incoming links (an unsavory competitor could link a bunch of "bad" pages to yours to ruin your business if that were the case).

I've heard *.edu & *.gov are good though.

2. RoyalKing profile image58
      RoyalKingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is good to get links from .edu and .gov sites but make sure they are all above pr4 to get quality vote from authority sites.

3. Expomovers profile image59
      Expomoversposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cool

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

IMO, I doubt if a link from an .edu or .gov is more beneficial than a link from a .com or a .org etc. What matters is relevance and other signals. For example the geo location (country) of the server hosting the page that links to yours will help boost rankings in that country slightly more than other countries.

The concept that links from certain domains are more valuable based on TLD tends to come into play by those trying to sell overpriced links or domains to the gullible along with fake PageRank and so on.

3. TerryGl profile image58

Thanks Peter. I agree the links are overpriced and a lot of hype is built up around the tld's. I once thought they were good to have as back links but my opinion was also based on reading a lot of hype about it.

Hence my question if anyone has had success. I am leaning towards these types of links are no more beneficial then .com or .org links as you say.

It would be nice if someone out there actually uses a plan for these types of links and gets some sort of result and let's us know.

4. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I have limited experience, but my understanding is that edu and gov sites tend to have high PR which is why they're good venues to get backlinks from. I do think though, that a .com site with PR 6 would have the same value as a .edu site with PR 6 in terms of authority.

I've been purchasing a backlink packet for the last couple of months (all PR 6 or more) and a lot of the venues are .edu sites. I made an effort to use the backlinks for my hubs that aren't getting much traffic to see if the backlinks would give them a boost and from what I've seen so far they certainly have.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

PageRank has nothing to do with how a web page ranks in search engines. If you are paying a premium for .edu and high PageRank links someone is stealing your money. You would have received the same benefits from PagRank 0's and 1's that were equally relevant whether they were .edu or .com.

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind paying $5 a month and I'm definitely seeing the benefits.

1. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

$5 a month sounds like a bargain for quality back links. The only back links program I have seen that I know works starts at $4 for the trial and climbs to $44 a month thereafter.

5. DCnews profile image61
    DCnewsposted 14 years ago

Terry, I would like that list of blogs and forums....please??

6. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Am I being cynical or is that link list that is 'gold' going to come at a price?

Also Google will hit you if you use a lot of spammy back links. Right now 'a lot' means hundreds but in six months it could mean any number Google thinks of (G seems to be on a crusade). You might be praying to have your hard found spammy back links merely ignored.

7. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 14 years ago

I think it should depend on the nature and reputation of the site

8. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Misha referred me to it and I've already seen good results after only two months. Have a look if you're interested: http://angelasdiscountmarket.com/backlink_builder.html

EDIT - And this is Misha's hub about this program and others that he uses: http://hubpages.com/hub/Backlink-Tool-O … or-Writers

1. bassfishingguide profile image60
      bassfishingguideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I saw in the forum several complaints about Angela's list.  There were more than 10 because according to the users they lost rankings once they started using Angelas's list. 

How long have you been using it?

1. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In what forum? And 10 what? smile

And if it was THAT easy to lose ranking with links, I would have killed and eaten alive all my competition looong ago. Urban myths. lol

9. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

Sounds like a good deal to me too, my point was that the benefits you are seeing are not based on the PageRank or the TLD of the sites linking to you.

10. Aya Katz profile image80
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Many of my useful backlinks came from .edu sites where I posted on topic.

11. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks for a free promo guys smile

And Terry, to answer your original question - I am getting all backlinks I can get hold of, as long as it does not require too much work to acquire them. smile

12. TerryGl profile image58

Great responses. Thanks.

First off, I am not selling my list at all. That was not the purpose of the thread. The reason why is exactly the spam comments such a list will attract.

I know Angela's backlink package and used it in the past.

If anyone wants easy edu or gov backlinks just Google search .edu or .gov forums. There's tons of them out there and searching is free.

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I'm getting traffic from a Shakespeare site I've never heard of. I'm not complaining, but I do wonder how I'm getting visitors. I went to the site, but I can't find my Macbeth article or a link to it anywhere on the site. ???

14. victorsmith profile image61
    victorsmithposted 14 years ago

As my view, it helpful, because PR of .edu and .gov links are high.. and backlink from high PR page give good effect...

15. scooter-con profile image60
    scooter-conposted 14 years ago

I've had some luck, but the challenging part of utilizing these backlink sources is finding a .gov or .org site that is privy with my particular niches.
    Although I am a webmaster at one political website, attaining a backlink from any decent sources is very challenging, to say the least...

16. profile image57
    NicheTrafficMastrposted 13 years ago

I used angela's backlinks for a while last year but I found the results weren't long lasting.

Unless you're active within the sites you link to it is likely that they will be discounted sooner or later and maybe counted as spam.

You need to be very careful with this....it's not worth getting sites banned for the sake of a few backlinks.

It's much better to use some of the high PR social sites and use the blog features they provide. Either post articles or just a description of something you've written elsewhere and post links within the article.

With regard to .edu and .gov links....they are currently the topic of some debate. Many SEO people including Matt Cutts state that they are no better than any other .com or .org site with the same PR.

I read an article that explained the main reason for the belief about greater authority stems back to the time when the internet only consisted of education and government sites. When the general public started creating sites the .edu and .gov links where the only sites to link to. Back then they also had the most links and highest PR.

The same isn't true now...there are PR 8..9..10 sites and as long as they are relevant to your site and topics, assuming you can get comments approved, those type of sites are the best to link to.

17. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Google has openly stated that .edu and .gov carry no premium over .com links. 

The only reason that these links may add more weight, or trust, is that they tend to have higher Trust.

I do think that Page Rank still affects google rankings, google does try to play this down, probably becaues of the number of people buying/selling PR links. However it is well known that backlinks are important, and Pagerank measures those links, Google did also mention that the number calculated by PR is used directly in calculating a pages value for a keyword.  There are however hundreds of other factors, this is just one of them, and should be treated accordingly.

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that a high PR often indicates a high amount of authority. If the relevance to you is appropriate and equivalent  in both instances and there is nothing else wrong, obviously a high PR link is better than a low PR link.

As to all this SEO link buying garbage: they'll all get what they deserve sooner or later.  As Will Apse said above , right now Google is tightening up on this junk and I hope they get tighter and tighter.

18. MarcBlackMedia profile image39
    MarcBlackMediaposted 13 years ago

I have seen no big boost from .edu .gov links.  A relevant high PR ".whatever" is the BEST choice hands down.

Google also says they not pay attention to tags, which is BS cause I get thousands a visitors a day to prove that theory wrong... go figure.

19. profile image0
    Juan Mariuposted 13 years ago

The reason everyone goes on about edu and gov backlinks is because they work!

They do add PR to your pages because edu and gov sites naturally gain PR as they age. Depending on how big the site is, and/or if its an authority site - its the easiest way to get high PR backlinks which will add to your sites authority and SERPS rankings.

If Google sees a whole lot of backlinks coming in from sites that Google trusts - You are seen as a trustworthy site and therefore are rewarded with higher rankings.

There are some edu and gov sites don't carry a high PR, but on average, they carry the highest PR in comparison with the rest of the tld's.

In response to the original question - Yes, I have had success with these types of backlinks.

Cheers

20. profile image49
    premiumwritingposted 13 years ago

Matt Cutts has categorically stated that .edu and .gov links are not inherently different to .com links or anything else. The only difference is that these sites are more likely to be authoritative sites. But they aren't authoritative because if their domain name, they're authoritative for exactly the same reason that apply to .coms.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)