Where is my Google traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. mhajnal profile image66
    mhajnalposted 14 years ago

My latest hub is ranking #3 for a 200,000 searches per month keyword, and #4 for a 50,000 searches per month keyword. It has been there for at least 24 hours now, yet there wasn't a single visit from Google yet. What could possibly be behind this anomaly? Anyone else experienced something similar?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Human impatience.  Have you considered that Google hasn't found that brand-new hub yet?

mhajnalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"My latest hub is ranking #3 for a 200,000 searches per month keyword, and #4 for a 50,000 searches per month keyword."

It's already been indexed for the 3rd and 4th place for those keywords for at least 24 hours. But yes, you're right about the impatience :-)

2. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would depend on what that keyword is.

Where did you get the data of how many searches are taking place?

mhajnalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Google keywords tool.

2. janni321 profile image57
    janni321posted 14 years ago

my keywords have not big search volume as yours but I am also facing the same prob. I think nobody is searching these keywords these days or the visitors are staying at the top results

3. fayans profile image62
    fayansposted 14 years ago

Google Keyword Tool may not give you an accurate search volume. I'd suggest you cross check with wordtracker (http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/key … -tool.html) and see what's the daily search volume for the keyword(s) you're targeting.

Don't be surprised that it differs - significantly.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fayans, I've had this same question myself. Google's keyword tool and WordTracker are worlds apart in their results. Why is this? I always thought that since I care more about Google traffic that I should use Google's tool. After all, they know how many real Google searches there are, right?

1. fayans profile image62
        fayansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I reckon Google has vested interest in making the search volume appear large enough for Adword users (I might be wrong) while wordtracker has no reason to inflate its numbers.

That's the reason why I for one use a combination of several tools and wordtracker is one of them.

Anyway, no keyword tool is perfect. Every number must be taken with a grain of salt.

2. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never knew about this. Jeeez! and i thought with google, i got it a right. Well thanks for this good advice. smile Im off to try word tracker now.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Wordtracker doesn't look too realistic to me, are they monthly figures?

170,000 monthly searches for ebay? I would say it was a hell of a lot higher than that!

The numbers that you see from wordtracker are the average *DAILY* search volumes whereas Google provides local and global MONTHLY search volumes.

On last check, ebay is searched 171978 daily based on wordtracker's data.

5. euro-pen profile image67
    euro-penposted 14 years ago

I just checked some key words with wordtracker and I have to second ryankett. I got ridicously low numbers for some of the keywords (ridicously means as low as "6" or "7" for some one-term keywords!).

6. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Here's an example of what prompted my original question.

I used Google's Keyword tool to see how many searches there are month for "Omaha steaks". It came up 246,000 for June. For the same keyphrase, Wordtracker shows 3,908 which, translated into a monthly June number, is 117,240 - less than 1/2 of the number Google gives.

I tried the same with "monkey with a gun". Google shows a June # of searches at 3,600, and Wordtracker shows only 14 daily which translates to 420 -- less than 12% of Google's number.

I not only don't get it, I'm never sure which one to use!

Irohner,

Don't confuse yourself. I'm not saying that you should go without Google tool but use wordtracker or SEO Book keyword tool (http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/) to *fine tune* your keyword selection.

Because if you rely solely on Google tool, there is a probability of you getting NO google traffic even when you rank #3 for a 200,000 searches per month keyword, and #4 for a 50,000 searches per month keyword.

Guess what kind of traffic I get from #1 spot (http://www.google.com/search?q=anti+sno … 3&aq=t)?

A miserable 4-6 a day.

What does Google tool say? 880 (using an "exact" match type).

The above is just one of the many examples of the inevitable inaccuracy of Google data.

That's just the way it is.

1. White Teeth profile image60
        White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

I just checked your keywords at seobook, and 4-6 a day does jive with the numbers there.

Next I used the seobook tool and found one of my keywords that Google claims a 1000 searches a DAY really gets ZERO.

THANKS! for this info. This will save me so much time and effort.

2. lrohner profile image67

http://www.montney.com/images/crying.gif

Good Lord! I'm afraid to go back and check my current hubs now...

But if I get what you're saying, you start eliminating keywords using Google and then make decisions using SEOBook? (Sorry if I'm being a nag -- I've just always wondered about this.)

I pick keyword(s) at random using Google tool. It's always my first stop and whenever I see any CPC value in any keyword(s), I cross check them with both tools I mentioned above.

And yes, my decision is based on the data (derived from both tools) that there is a decent daily search for the keyword I'm targeting. My rule of thumb is, any # above 30 is fine with me.

Why?

Here's the stats

#1 Ranking website took 40.1% of the search query traffic…..
          #2 Ranking website took 11.9% of the search traffic…
          #3 Ranking website took 8.5% of the traffic
          #4 website took 6.1% of the traffic share…
          #5 ranked website took 4.9%
          All the other websites (and advertisers) took the rest….28.5%

Lastly, there are many keywords where discrepancies between the two are NOT "worlds apart".

You'll come to it - pretty soon.

Hope that helps a little.

1. lrohner profile image67

Thanks Fayans. Yes. The first thing I do with Google's tool is eliminate keywords with a low CPC, so at least I'm doing something right! smile

3. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great post and really interesting, will deff be using this in future, cheers for sharing it !

7. mhajnal profile image66
    mhajnalposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure Wordtracker is screwed up as well. Just an example:

According to wordtracker, the phrase 'where can i buy an ipod mini online' gets 255 searches per day, while 'buy books' gets only 190 and 'buy games' gets 162.

I just don't think that an 8-word phrase will get more searches than something general like 'buy books'.

However, I agree that Google's stats are screwed up somehow too.

edit.: Another example-
    'i want to buy a new house how much can i afford' gets 297 searches a day, according to Wordtracker. Yeah, right...

You'll be in for greater surprises, buddy.

By the way, if both are screwed up (as you've chosen to believe), what are you going to do next?

8. Biker Jackets profile image57
    Biker Jacketsposted 14 years ago

As you can see, I've just started with my first Hub Page, so I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to getting pages ranked with Google.

Even though this has been said, Google's numbers when you use their keyword tool just don't seem to match up with reality. I'm not sure exactly how they come up with their numbers, but in a  way it seems they may be "fudging" them a bit in order to help generate revenue.

I see that someone has already posted the stats regarding what a position can do for you in terms of traffic received. Google tends to hold those numbers in secret, but the ones I learned about came from when AOL releases it's data regard search positions.

#1 ranked site
    #2 ranked site receives 3.5X less traffic than #1
    #3 receives 4.9X less traffic than #1
    #4 receives 6.9X less traffic than #1
    #5 receives 8.5X less traffic than #1
    #6 receives 10.4X less traffic than #1
    #7 receives 12.3X less traffic than #1
    #8 receives 14X less traffic than #1
    #9 receives 14.8X less traffic than #1 (worst place on page 1)
    #10 receives 14.1 less traffic than #1

Wordtracker might give a lowball number, but the results are much closer to reality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)