jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

For full-time writers: how do you explain to others what you do?

1. allpurposeguru profile image81
    allpurposeguruposted 7 years ago

For full-time writers: how do you explain to others what you do?

Or, how do you explain what your business is about or what service it offers?

2. amsmoving profile image57
    amsmovingposted 7 years ago

I believe the best thing you can do is just tell them what you do, don't beat around the bush, and if they don't like what you don't then don't worry about it because its not their life. Simply put just tell them I'm a full-time writer... hope that helps

3. Jay Louidor profile image59
    Jay Louidorposted 7 years ago

Simply tell em you get paid to do what you love. Tell them that your earn a living through your passion for writing. Then ask them what they do? It'll be less poetic and probably brings in less as well.

4. TheZen ofWriting profile image62
    TheZen ofWritingposted 7 years ago

I simply say I provide writing, filmmaking and consulting services.

5. Angel Scent profile image63
    Angel Scentposted 7 years ago

Tell them the truth. Professional writers should be lauded, not embarrassed.

6. allpurposeguru profile image81
    allpurposeguruposted 7 years ago

Thanks for all the answers so far: amsmoving, Jay Louidor, Angel Scent, TheZen ofWriting.

Perhaps I should clarify. When you're preparing any kind of promotional material, how do you describe yourselves? Do you have an "elevator speech?" that explains your business?

I write about all kinds of things, as probably most of you do, too. Several people have challenged me to come up with a succinct statement that ties it all together. One in particular challenged me to express it as the service I offer.

So I'm looking for others' summaries of their work to jog my imagination.

working