How do you explain to your child why their father has chosen to not be involved

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Heather McMillan profile image61
    Heather McMillanposted 12 years ago

How do you explain to your child why their father has chosen to not be involved in their life?

My nine year old son's father left when I was four months pregnant, never to be seen or heard from.  My boy is now struggling with the daddy issue. How do I make him feel loved and secure when he asks the tough question.

2. New 2011 Mom profile image60
    New 2011 Momposted 12 years ago

I almost went through a situation with that actually. Telling him that his father is off doing something good is better than saying that his father just left and doesn't seem to care. Also a good thing to maybe say is he is off on some adventure in another country or something may be a good option. If he is the type of child that wants the full truth and nothing that sounds like only a little kid would believe then I may say something along the lines of he got caught up with something and got lost trying to find his way back to you guys. An example would be a family member got really sick and he had to see them immediately and while he was gone you ended up moving or losing contact with him, and just go from there. I can't tell you exactly what to say because it really depends on the type of person your son is. If I could have helped more I would have. I will say this though, if I was his age I think saying he had to go somewhere for work across the world and hasn't been able to get a hold of me, find, or something of that nature would be a little bit better because if his father does show up randomly one day it'll bring him comfort and maybe a little bit of happiness instead of thinking his father doesn't care about him. Thinking that people care who are close to him is what he really needs instead of thinking people just don't care. I went through thinking people didn't care and it hurt me a lot. I hope everything works out for you and him.

3. paulineleo52 profile image60
    paulineleo52posted 12 years ago

I am in the same boat my x calls but my son has quick chat and hangs up and tell me this dad is blank. My son learn that the truth will always come out whether 1 day or 100 hundred years and he learned this by me telling the truth which is very important in life. So sit down and tell him the truth.Yes it is going to be hard but the truth is the best I know he 9 years old it better he learn it quickly and that your are honest with him and believe me it works my son 17 years and we are best friends and he can tell you it I never lied to him about anything only his present for Xmas I lied but that allow. It hard but it might sound cruel but you must tell him the truth.Give alots of kiss and hug and let him know that you love him and you want him with all of your hearts even without dad been around
    Pauline

4. profile image0
    Eddie-Perkinsposted 12 years ago

I would tell the truth but tempered a lot with love and concern. By tempered, I do not mean to lie, but leave out personal hurt and angry feelings.
    First, there is the obvious; it was not about the child, but the marriage. I would say something like; he left because we didn’t see eye to eye (or whatever). As near the truth as I could get and still leave out blaming and accusing the father for not loving his child. Something like we were too immature for marriage. In addition to it being true or a measure of truth, it will provide great teaching opportunities for a child concerning the relationships they enter into. Life teaches us that it is often difficult to live (even with people we love) together and almost always, if not always both parties can be blamed, so if we really look we can find good things to say about the one who left.
    My first wife and I divorced and I made a covenant with myself that I would NEVER put her down in front of our children. She in turn has never said a bad word to them about me. It has paid wonderful dividends over the years. Their friends are amazed when we are in the same room laughing and socializing as good friends. It has been understood that we both love our children immensely and that they had nothing to do with our separation.

5. wildove5 profile image75
    wildove5posted 12 years ago

My daughter at 17 gave me a grandson, he is now 2 and rarely see's his father.  We don't mention his name unless he asks and we usually respond with " He's at work,"  even at 2 he seem's perplexed.  I don't think there is an easy answer to your question or one that will spare your son from ever feeling hurt.  However, I believe honesty is best.  I was also a foster parent for years and one of the things I would tell my kids about their absentee parent/parents, was that their parent loved them but sometimes grown ups make choices that they can't help or understand that keeps them from being able to be with with them right now.  Sometimes they have to go away for a little while to figure things out and get better.  I also reassured them that they didn't do anything wrong and that you ( their mom ) will never leave them.  I have also found that positive strong male role models play a huge role in affirming that the reasons for being abandoned  doesn't  lie within them. Good luck, I hope this helped.

6. MyFavoriteBedding profile image41
    MyFavoriteBeddingposted 12 years ago

This is a tough situation.  You, as a mom, can never replace his father, but if you can be involved in as much of his life as possible (for example, attending any sports activities, or other interests he has) will truly make an impression.  Hopefully, he can connect with a male figure (such as an Uncle, grandfather, friends dad) this would never replace his father, but having a male role model would be great benefit to him.  You just being aware of his struggles and seeking help about them truly makes you a loving and caring mom, and I know you and your son will get through this as long as you stick together and you stay by his side, in good times and most importantly in tough times.   Good luck to you and your son!

7. profile image0
    djsdivaposted 12 years ago

You have to be completely honest with him and answer his questions that he had regarding his father.  Make sure that he knows how his family loves him.  You might also check into counseling for your son.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)