Why do people vote down answers to questions with no "right" answer?
I can understand if the answer is something outlandish, combative, or controversial... but a question was asked "What time do you consider to be "late" at night?"... and I noticed almost every answer including my own got a thumbs down...
I really don't think vampires should be allowed to vote. Ha, ha!
They're called trolls, and come in two flavors. Either they're overprivaleged 12-14 year olds who have nothing better to do with their time than cause mischief, and in another day might've been the kind to stick firecrackers in mailboxes. Or they're crotchety blue-haired prunes and get it into their abcessed, semile brains that just because they've discovered the internet, people will give a damn about their 17th century opinions and all should rightly agree with them regardless of the validity of anyone else's claims.
They don't have better things to do. These people are everywhere.. they enjoy annoying others.
Sometimes it's just an easy way to say they don't like the answer for any number of reasons from prejudice, religious ideas, moral ideas, and don't forget common ignorance.
And there are also a lot of mean and stupid people in the world.
What you are seeing with that is what I call "the safety of being out of range," what I mean by that is that they know that you can't know who voted an answer down.
It's really a close relative to cowardice. . . so far as human failings go. Of course, if someone leaves a very opposite answer to the one that they voted down. . . .that's all good, cause we then will all know who did what. No shame there. Random down voting of answers without leaving a opposition answer. . . .is akin to a drive by shooting while knowing that nobody can catch you. . . . "cowardice"
Thanks everyone, you've pretty well confirmed what I initially thought. Certain people, when given the opportunity, just can't seem to help themselves, I guess.
One thing I wish I had thought to incorporate into my initial question... I don't mean to sound "whiney" or "bitchy" about getting voted down... just to say I truly don't get why someone would bother to actually click the "down" button for another hubbers answer unless they actually had an issue of some sort with that answer.
I suppose it amounts to the same kind of mentality that says, "I'm going to create a computer virus to screw with people's lives just because I can". Or the reason you can no longer leave your car unlocked, even in your own driveway. 10% of humanity sucks, but somehow manages to make the other 90% suffer.
No idea why. I do know that about half a year ago, 4 or 5 of us had all written rather good answers to a question, and all had been voted up. A couple of days later, I looked again to see if there had been any other answers, there hadn't, there had been several more up votes, but also, all the answers that were there had received one down vote each. Was it spite, had we all at sometime upset this hubber, or was it just for the sake of it?
I got the thought that it was as if someone had gone through and decided that all these good answers needed dragging down to the same hole that he was in.
people think their opinion is all that matters. plus i think a few folks on here vote down most of my answers no matter what the questions are. i have noticed in the last month or so that no matter what the question is my answer has at least 1 vote down.
by Daisy Mariposa6 years ago
Why do some people use the HubPages Q&A section for doing research?Why do some people prefer to ask questions in Q&A that can easily be answered by doing research on Google?
by Jbesil7 years ago
Some one wrote a very rude answer to one of my questions and i cant figure out how to delete it
by lmarsh12035 years ago
Are you only asking and answering questions because of contest?Will you still ask/answer when it's done?
by ptosis5 years ago
Noticed the + and - symbols for rating answers on questions has been replaced with the thumbs up and thumbs down icons. Better, worse, or who cares?DYK? In the gladiator arena of Rome, the thumbs up was the kill signal...
by Haunty5 years ago
... as I am restricted to 250 characters per comment. Which is not nearly enough.
by Lois Ryan4 years ago
Is there a way to block and/or remove people's answers to questions?People ask a lot of good questions on Hub Pages, some about this site and some on other topics. There are some people who gives a response that...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.