What do you think of people who ask a question then use the answers to write a h

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (27 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

What do you think of people who ask a question then use the answers to write a hub?

What do you think of people who ask a question (in forums or answer section etc) then use your answers and turn them into a hub? Would it bother you?

2. profile image0
    tigresosalposted 11 years ago

Hi Wry, It would be fantastic for me if someone refers to me or puts a link to my profile while using my answer as a part of the hub compiled from answers. I also believe that even if the person does not link back everyone and links back the question on which the answers are, is a great thing to do as it only increases the credibility and visibility of both the parties. If not referred and no links provided, it would be dishonesty and I am against it.

3. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 11 years ago

I'm actually okay with it so long as the hub is informative and well written. I have never personally done that, nor have I had someone do it with one of my questions. However, I don't see why I would really have an issue with it. However, backlinking to the hubber who originally presented the issue seems appropriate and honest.

1. profile image0
      tigresosalposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true.

4. alvairs profile image58
    alvairsposted 11 years ago

I think it is a great idea to get inspiration from question, with reference to where the question was originated.

1. Levertis Steele profile image74
      Levertis Steeleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is ideal, but it doesn't always happen. I am not ready to condemn anyone for it, but it is a good idea to indirectly inform fellow writers of the proper way to do a thing. I say "indirectly" for good reasons!

5. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 11 years ago

If people used this section the way it originally worked (to ask questions that got answered by making hubs) that wouldn't be an issue.  However since admin shifted it to play to the lowest common denominator, what do you expect?

6. shivanchirakkal10 profile image57
    shivanchirakkal10posted 11 years ago

Question and Answer may give inspiration to write  hub. I think hub writer never copy the answer but  using only theme in it or find out a subject for writing. In that aspect there is no  harm in it. If you  some remedy for head ache, I answer suggest  some home remedy, it may give inspiration to some other one to write hub on home remedy in his way is natural.
    While answering this, below the page 'make a hub about it'  request is seeing. Hence hp itself encouraging to do so.
    Copying the answer fully as it is, in my opinion, is not fair.

1. profile image0

Copying the answers word by word is a crime under plagiarism. Agree completely with you

2. LaurieNunley517 profile image81
      LaurieNunley517posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree. Inspiration can come from anywhere...

7. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

It wouldn't bother me at all. I am contributing my advice in a way they can use to make a hub. If they blatantly copy and paste my answer, the hub will and should be flagged as containing content that already exists.

1. profile image0

Dear Daniel, used your answer in a question to create a hub.  http://tigresosal.hubpages.com/hub/Is-C … an-Economy  I hope you dont mind. linked yr prof. If you dislike, plz let me know. I would immediately remove.

8. samsons1 profile image61
    samsons1posted 11 years ago

Since we all are looking everywhere for ideas, I say all power to them.  I know some people may feel their 'question' and/or their 'answer' belongs to them alone and I would just say, 'get over it', or why didn't they do the 'Hub' thing when they had the chance.  We are mostly 'adults' here, so don't you think we should act and react accordingly.  Have a great day...

9. umbertoobrian profile image60
    umbertoobrianposted 11 years ago

If someone uses the questions to do all the work than it is cheap and unethical.  If they use the answers as a way of refining understanding, getting alternate views, expanding the parameters of the subject, etc...I think it is a good idea.  If the topic is original and the writing original with the answers only providing information to be rewritten and integrated how is it different than using an editorial, letters to the editor or an essay?

I think it can be done ethically, if one does the real work and only uses the answers as one source among many.

10. Farmer Rachel profile image93
    Farmer Rachelposted 11 years ago

I think it's fine as long as credit is given where it's due, as others here have stated. It's my understanding that Q&A is meant to inspire the writing of new hubs. I have to agree with those who suggest backlinking to the original question, minimally; ideally, hubbers who use others' answers to create a hub ought to give credit by linking at least to the hubber's profile(s).

11. Volitans profile image66
    Volitansposted 11 years ago

All authors steal ideas from other people. When you do it well, it's called research. When you do it poorly it's called plagiarism. So long as the author doesn't cross into plagiarism I don't see how anyone could complain if an author used a Q and A to help write a hub.

12. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

If I get the drift that a question is intended to "collect" answers and then be used to write a Hub (or write anything else, or be placed on an answers site somewhere else once someone thinks he's gotten the best answer)...   I skip it.  OR, I may do what's supposed to be done, which is I'll answer it in the form of a Hub of my own.  Usually I just pretty much aim for questions to which replies that wouldn't be of much use to anyone.  If I come to "Answers" it's most often because I'm tired or have nothing better to do.  I'm not here to do other people's work for them (at least not if I have a sense that they're asking questions with ulterior motives).

The way things were previously, it wasn't "Answers and Questions".  It was "Requests".  I got a lot of good Hubs out of those requests.

I can't really say I'd let it bother me if it happened.  I'd more likely just see the person as "one more person who isn't capable of coming up with his own stuff" (hardly a rarity on the Internet).  I do do my best, though, not to offer anything very useful  or "re-usable" in the Answers section (at least most of the time).

Some people are fairly skilled at hiding the fact that they're mining for answers.  Most are not.

13. Levertis Steele profile image74
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

I was told that the questions and answers were designed to give people ideas for writing hubs--people helping people and each other. I once wrote a very extensive answer to someone's question, and the person used my entire answer as a hub!

1. Levertis Steele profile image74
      Levertis Steeleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not mind anyone using my ideas because I am aware of the purpose of the section. I do mind one writing my response word-for-word. I think some of this copying is due to the lack of knowledge of quoting others properly. Some is plagiarism.

14. Team Wiseman profile image80
    Team Wisemanposted 11 years ago

I call that....Creative! Creativity is important.

15. donnah75 profile image93
    donnah75posted 11 years ago

If my words or thoughts are used as a source, then I fully expect a writer to quote me and cite me as a source.  Otherwise, it is plaigarism.  It is that simple.  I actually think that there is not enough citing of sources in hubs.  Just my opinion...

16. Technologiblog profile image60
    Technologiblogposted 11 years ago

hi there !

my first every answer before a question in this Answer Question Section..

my experience says "  we are humans .. knowledge ---- a vast flooding ocean of words and ideas .. but key to get it is a source .

this source can be any thing any mean or media , we humans always depend on each others . I think getting a clue or idea from a certain topic isn,t that bad .

Thank you

17. seamonster profile image40
    seamonsterposted 11 years ago

The promotional email I got from hub said that the questions were to help people come up with ideas. So I came in here to help out.

1. Crissylite profile image74
      Crissyliteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I may have a lengthy answer to a question & instead of writing a looong answer, I just write a hub. I would expect others to do the same. It's not all about competition, but helping others out with sharing information.

18. mismazda profile image59
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

More power to them...if they want to write a hub from my question/answer...but I would hope that they will give me credit for answering or asking the question...smile

19. JoanCA profile image85
    JoanCAposted 11 years ago

I've never done it but it's probably a good way to do research by getting other people's opinions on something. Or their experiences.

20. crazymom3 profile image69
    crazymom3posted 11 years ago

My daughter and I agree, it's smart.  She says, "it's using your resources." and she is only thirteen...so wise!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)