jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does anyone have some advice about how to not be obsessed with all your HubPages

1. Jack Salathe profile image70
    Jack Salatheposted 7 years ago

Does anyone have some advice about how to not be obsessed with all your HubPages stats?

Daily traffic, weekly traffic, a hubscore for your hubs, a personal hubscore, how many comments, how many pieces of feedback. Good heavens how do you relax and just write with all the numbers?

2. Rusty C. Adore profile image95
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 7 years ago

It's really hard to ignore the numbers. I imagine that it's even harder if you're attempting to make money through the site. My only advice is to write for yourself. In the end you're the one who matters most. If YOU like your writing then that should be a good sign.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

just write hubs because you want to. stats are irrelevant unless others opinions are really important to you. enjoy your time on here and let it go where it goes.

4. Adventure Colorad profile image82
    Adventure Coloradposted 7 years ago

I think this comes with time, I am pretty new here, but I had a very similar "stat problem" at istockphoto.  After I had been on there for awhile I realized that checking the stats several times a day really didn't produce much, just made my views look less. 

Here I still check my  stats a lot, I want to see what topics are doing well and which aren't, but I have noticed that the time is often better spent checking the forums, questions and other means to plan my next hub.

5. Bud Gallant profile image78
    Bud Gallantposted 6 years ago

I would recommend being obsessed with stats.

Without stats you can't objectively gauge your efforts.  It's a very valuable tool and I would strongly suggest people utilize it. 

But if you're just making hubs for fun and don't have any attention on traffic or income, that's different.  Then the stats don't matter, I suppose, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.  But if, on the other hand, you do want to make money, the stats are the most important indicator you could have.

6. MakinBacon profile image80
    MakinBaconposted 6 years ago

You answered your own question: Just relax and write. I've found in relationship to writing, there's almost nothing worse then endless editing and feedback. All you do is attempt to respond to that feedback, which can, in many cases, paralyze you into inaction.

That said. Traffic is probably about the only relevant stat, although where someone comes from and the keyword they use is also important.

But the truth is I don't check anything but my traffic, and I've received several million hits on Hubpages with no promotion or social networking whatsover.

Putting up content others are interested in is the key. It's no more complicated than that.