When you make titles do you consider drawing hits from Google, SEO, or just try

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (29 posts)
  1. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 13 years ago

When you make titles do you consider drawing hits from Google, SEO, or just try to make it...

interesting? I have tried both and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

2. ChuckHuckaby profile image40
    ChuckHuckabyposted 13 years ago

If I'm just making a hub to rant about something I dream up a title.
    If I'm doing keyword research I try to put the keyword of phrase first and then have a follow up line to catch human attention too.

3. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Absolutely not but then again I am not so concerned with just the hits for financial purposes. I build my title to catch the eye and be related to the story line.  Too many titles give away the story line...instead of being titles, they are statements of purpose for the writing. Keep it simple...one, two, or three words. Make it relative to the story line but don't give too much away. Check my hub "First Ride" and I think you will see what I mean. WB

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I mainly try to focus on having my main keywords in the title.

5. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 13 years ago

Thanks. I usually go for a simple description, but sometimes humorous. Depends on the topic.

6. Vaiebhav profile image75
    Vaiebhavposted 13 years ago

1. I try to begin my title with the keyword phrase, and
    2. complete rest of the tile with either a promise, or a benefit of reading the article. Or I simply use curiosity to get people to read the article.

7. Dr. Amilia profile image40
    Dr. Amiliaposted 13 years ago

I make titles that appeal to me first, the rest will follow.

8. profile image56
    rieomposted 13 years ago

I never do SEO for title.  I tend to put a title that comes to mind and helps to explain what the article I am writing is about.  I have no talent writing catchy titles, which probably would mean more traffic for me.  Whenever I have tried writing a title for SEO, it sounds more like a title in a trashy magazine, I kid you not.

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Here's the thing, even poorly titled content, with some time, can be improved in a number of ways with the truly wonderful title tuner tool that is provided to all of us here.

10. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

Mostly, I just wing it.

My topic is already in mind, and the title is the first thing that HP asks of writers.

I kick it around a bit, shoot from the hip, and after my article has appeared, I consult "title tuner".........I am not here for the money.    Those who consider themselves professional writers
    could well be expected to have a different approach.

11. thomas30 profile image56
    thomas30posted 13 years ago

I try to use main keywords of my site in title.

12. Shaun75 profile image57
    Shaun75posted 13 years ago

I begin my title with the primary keyword or key phrase and make it search engine friendly.

13. KevinStyles profile image60
    KevinStylesposted 13 years ago

I try to do both, make it interesting and at least two to three keyword phrases, but for stand alone web sites, i would make every title exact searches, then build back links with matching anchor text to the content page.

You say you don't see a difference? sort your hubs by traffic then search for your popular hub title phrases in google, see if they show up ;-)

14. Silver Poet profile image70
    Silver Poetposted 13 years ago

I choose the title as I would if I were writing for a traditional newspaper or magazine, regardless of what Google does with it.

15. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I craft my titles for SEO purposes, and also to let people know exactly what they're going to find when they click on one of my articles.

People reading my articles have a question they want answered, and I want them to know exactly which article will answer that question. If they have to guess, and the first guess is wrong (if they even get that far) then they will likely head back to the search engines to try to find something that's a little easier to use in order to answer their question. Also, if people do not know what they're clicking on, I will likely end up with a lot of useless traffic that does not benefit either me or the reader.

That said, while I love helping people and that's the fulfilling part of my work, I am a full-time writer and the only wage-earner in my home right now, so the money is pretty darn important to me. The only thing that makes sense to me is to optimize every piece to the best of my abilities so that I can help as many people as I can with my expertise, as well as get the maximum benefit for every bit of work that I do.

16. Kavita Martin profile image59
    Kavita Martinposted 13 years ago

I focus main little keywords of my site.

17. kashif hassan profile image61
    kashif hassanposted 13 years ago

Really title tag play very important role in drawing traffic on any website and if you use the very relevant title tag you definitely get ur page in higher position of google, yahoo & MSN

18. Bronson_Hub profile image61
    Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

I'm in the process of trying both.  Initially I used titles without any knowledge about search engine optimization.

Now that I'm learning about SEO, I'm editing a few hubs and titles to see what happens.  At this point it's just a scientific process.  I'll eventually decide on some kind of median between the two.

19. kimfaner profile image60
    kimfanerposted 13 years ago

It depends whether your goal is to entice web spiders or readers. If both, try having a title that has some keywords but are still interesting enough for human beings.

20. xpertbee profile image60
    xpertbeeposted 13 years ago

thanks for the question, this helps me too.  There are some very useful comments here.

21. jeyaprakash84 profile image61
    jeyaprakash84posted 13 years ago

When I make titles, I consider mostly the appropriateness of the title. I then try to bring some keywords in the first few lines of the article. But anyway, at least one or two keywords would be in the title.

22. Kamalesh050 profile image69
    Kamalesh050posted 13 years ago

No I don't take any help. Anything that I write I know what this is about and give  a  title that comes to my mind spontaneously.  After I finish my writing I close my eyes and ask myself whether the title that I  have given sounds appropriate. If 'No' is the the answer then of course I take a little time to think over till I find a name which I think will fit in.

23. cpvr profile image61
    cpvrposted 13 years ago

I only write content for my visitors. If a topic is about the article, then I make a similar keyword that relates to the article - which is good for the visitors, and good for google.

24. XRobertsbabyX profile image61
    XRobertsbabyXposted 13 years ago

I studied and tried to use SEO for awhile and it seems the stuff I wrote without it actually did quite a bit better. I guess when I'm not working on SEO the language flows easier for me and sounds less stilted or awkward, making for a better article.

25. profile image0
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 13 years ago

I like to make them as interesting as possible. I don't expect to make a living on Hubpages, so I try to have fun with it.

26. profile image55
    yaturi3posted 13 years ago

If the primary reason is to draw hits from Google, SEO, then the article would not be interesting. At the same time, an interesting article that is seen only by you is a waste of time. You can jolly well meditate on it alone.
    Most persons would like to be rewarded for their efforts. So they would like to see how they can make an interesting article attract hits from Google.

27. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

It is best to make titles that people want to read, forget about Google with its everchanging algorithm.  Those that chase the tail of the dragon never catch the dragon, but those that have what the dragon wants will always have the dragon's attention.

28. profile image50
    CarolPTaylorposted 12 years ago

Title is very important for SEO
    I've had TONS more sales today than an average day! I've used pinterest to optimize my site and the result was amazing my site was jumped from #234 to #9 in few weeks time. The trick is we must got our website pinned and repinned by many people this is the hardest part. Most of pinterest users won't doing repin when they aren't like what we pinned. I do simple thing to outsource it on fiverr and got my site pinned by more than 70 people, I don't know how can he did it just search by typing pinterest on fiverr and you will find it.
    As I know currently pinterest is best for SEO for these reason:
    1. Once our website pinned it has 3 backlinks counts
    2. Google interest in social media signal so it will not tagged as links farm
    3. Currently pinterest links are dofollow even the image
    4. Also support anchor text, it's perfect for placing our keywords

29. profile image57
    wbapartnerposted 11 years ago

I try to balance both. The title got to be keyword rich yet should make people want to click through to your site. It can be a tough balancing act though, sometimes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)