Hub score bombed 50% in one day

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Appletreedeals profile image67
    Appletreedealsposted 14 years ago

Wow! Hubpage score dropped 50% in one day! Down to 38. Is there a way this can happen other than readers rating it down?

If you could take a sec to peruse this hub I would really appreciate it.

Would love to make corrections if I knew what was wrong.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Affiliate-Marke … ners-Guide

ps. is there a way to see visitor ratings?

Thanks

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no way to see visitor ratings, but this has nothing to do with it
      1. visitor rating doesn't have a huge impact on hubscore
      2. visitors don't rate down

apart from that, you are a genius... I've never seen anything like this.

Appletreedealsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

......"apart from that, you are a genius... I've never seen anything like this."

Pacal - Thanks for the comment, I think. Yes, there is a "down" button next to the "rate it" option, so Imma (my aunt) thinking that you can leave a down rating. ???????/

as for your ending comment...????? sarcasim (sp?) is hard to detect in text communications, but sometimes you have to apply the "duck theory"

But I appreciate the effort.

1. profile image0
          Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

None of that kind, Appletreedeals. You misunderstood me.

Then thanks for the Kind comment. And taking the time to respond.

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say to many links to google adwords and you truly need some pics that reflect your hub but besides that it appears to be quite thorough Title needs to be tweeked. smile

Darn! I just went in and added those Google links, AFTER THE SCORE DROP, hoping they would Help. maybe they should come out if they already draw negative impressions.

as for the pics... I thought they were related to direction of the module content, ie. what the step being discussed was. That is certainly something I will revisit.

Title tweek? Wish I had a clue... but I will look at that too.

ps. there was no sarcasm intended in this reply. I do appreciate your response and will follow through. Thanks

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I see 3 self-promotional links. Limit is two.

Your title is misleading linkbait.

This really isn't what hubpages is about. The reason hubs get such good traffic is that the rules really discourage putting that many affiliate or self-promotional links. No matter what the other quality of the remaining hub is.

Hubpages is about making money on your hubs. Not sending the traffic elsewhere. And if you follow the rules, you will make money here.

1. fortunerep profile image68
      fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is considered a self promotional link?  Is linking to your other hubs self promotional?

2. Appletreedeals profile image67

Wow Nelle! Please may I use the pun? Please? Whoa Nellie!
      The following is intended as sincere response to your comment, not a combative tirade. So please read it that way.

The Mis-leading title? I don't think so... but I am willing to be convinced.
      "Affiliate Marketing - How to pick your product niche, a beginner's guide"

That is the entire focus of the hub, picking an affiliate product niche to begin your affiliate marketing. with all content purposely directed at a non-experienced affiliate marketer.

So I'm completely baffled as to why you think it's mis-leading.

As for it being link-bait... again I'm baffled, what's wrong with being smart about the title keywords you use? as long as they are appropriate to the content.

And again.. I'm willing to examine evidence I'm totally wrong.

...about the self-promotional links.
      There are 4 promotional links
      one is a perfectly legit link to another hub that IS relative to subject hub's content
      two of the remaining three are self-promotional, but again they are very relative to the subject hub's content, and I feel both are positive contributions to the hub subject, even if they are self-promotion, and they are two different link destinations
      the forth and final link IS very self-promotional, but is also placed at the very end of the hub content in a module that is very plainly labeled, "Shameless Self-promotion" Perhaps I do owe a "mia culpa" for that one, but I would still need convincing.

Also I believe Hubpages rule/guideline limiting content to 2 self-promotional links refers more to the multiple use of THE SAME self-promotional link, not total links, but I'm less sure of this point so I wouldn't "bet the house" on being right here.
      But I did take pains to ensure none of the links were duplicates. Even though I would/could benefit from the links, I tried to ensure thay were relative to content.

And lastly... I am well aware of the intent of hubpages, because I certainly went awry in my first efforts, and have been trying to be an upstanding hubber since then. Perhaps you could peruse my "horrible Hubpages...etc.." hub to see what I mean

I's sorry for such a lengthy response, I do appreciate your effort to offer a response, but unfortunately your response hit a "raw spot". I do hope to hear more from you.

Gregory

3. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

First thing ,do not take this so serious It Is not a life and death matter . Just enjoy writing . Second do not place your self worth on your hubscore . I stink and I still loiter on this site ! big_smile

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are so silly!!! I agree with you Tony we only have to relax. smile

2. Appletreedeals profile image67

Thanks for the response Tony, I do like it here on Hubpages, but I would like my success here to be multi-directional. I enjoy the writing just for the sake of publishing, but if possible I also want to monetize my efforts.

4. profile image0

He has two affiliate links that are not with hubpages programs and a link to his commercial website. I believe the limit is 2. And the limit is two to the same site, throughout all of your hubs.

I'm not sure of the second limit, because I don't use these kinds of links on my hubs. But that's probably the reason for the plumeting scores.

5. jonmarsh profile image60
    jonmarshposted 14 years ago

I believe you can link to your own and other hubs (on hubpages.com) as much as you like without penalty.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But he has/ or had 3 not to hubpages. Limit is 2.

1. jonmarsh profile image60
        jonmarshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nelle, I thought it was not more two than two links to the same domain, and even then if it is an authoritative domain (e.g. wikipedia) you could have more.

It looks like he only has one that is really an affiliate link, the others are to his blog and to squidoo. I didn't think that would be a problem, but you are lot more experienced here than I am.

1. profile image0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really do believe that they are a problem. Linking to a commercial blog is definitely not the same thing as linking to wiki.

6. profile image0

Maybe I was looking at the wrong hub? Sorry. That wasn't the title I was looking at.

No problem Nelle. I still appreciate your effort to respond. I have become a strong advocate of community participation. Mainly because I was originally such a non-participant.

Thanks anyway.

7. profile image0

Here's the hub I looked at "Horrible Hubpages Experience with Adsense Online Marketing and Promotion"

Sorry about the raw nerve. I'm usually more supportive. But I tend to be very protective of Hubpages.

8. profile image0

I do think the pushing the limit on the links is the issue. But you should contact the Hubpages to make sure.

again I appreciate your response. And although I don't think they were such a flagrant issue as to be the cause of the drop, it is not a problem for me to "hedge my bet" and edit them out now.

But I'm still bewildered about such a drastic score drop in one day. I think Hubpages would have flagged the Hub it the links were the culprit.

Great meeting you.
      Gregory

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When Hub users have seen sudden and drastic plummets that then recover in the past, it's been due to a simple and transitory system glitch.  But since this is a weekend, we won't get any word from admin until Monday.  Since your score has reverted, there's a good chance this was the reason.

thanks relache

9. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Its really quite simple.  no more than 2 self serving links.  that means to an affiliate product, blog or website.  Those are self serving links.  i believe even linking to squidoo is a self serving link.

Thanks for the input Dale, although I'm still unconvinced, I am not sure enough to be obstinate about it. The links will be edited.

Gregory

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ive been seeing this theory a lot lately, lol

By what amazing artificial intelligence does hubpages know what a "self serving link" is?"

Its 2 links to a single domain .

The hubfilters do seem to pick up on overuse of affiliate links, im guessing from the tracking codes attached to each, but if that was true in his case when publishing he would get the message

Spread MAddies hub about "overly Promotional" around , so this disinformational "self serving" meme can die

http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

Im pointing this out because my income comes primarily from affiliate marketing ...you can still write real content with value and have affiliate products.

Tech fields and Affiliate marketing and ebay themes are terrible for adsense revenue since the audience is generally an affiliate marketer or ebay seller or generally a too savvy person to waste their time clicking crap adwords ads

sunforged - Thanks for the input. I think your last point was the best. It has sent me in a new direction.

10. profile image0

Great meeting you to Gregory.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

What Sunforged said. smile

12. profile image53
    krishnasumudraposted 14 years ago

More links could mean a hub is overly promoting a site, its better to limit the links as specified by the hubpage.

thanks krishnasumudra

13. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Hubscores bombs up and also down , it is common in hubpages

well then...let's stop the bombing now...make love not war.

Ahh, those were the days...

thanks for the reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)