Frustrated enough to quit hubbing

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. jellygator profile image83
    jellygatorposted 12 years ago

I submitted a hub about the difference between assertive and aggressive women called "She's such a Bitch: So Why Does He Love Her?" and I can't figure out exactly what's blocking it from publication.

The bots flagged it as possibly containing inappropriate content, and sent it for a review. The reviewer didn't block it for mature content, but *did* block it for "unrelated links."

The links I have on it are for these  three Amazon products (presented in the capsule):    

Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship
    Amazon Price: $8.94
    List Price: $15.95

Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women
    Amazon Price: $2.94
    List Price: $16.00

Humor Tin Metal Sign : Not Really a Bitch , 16x12
    Amazon Price: $7.79
    List Price: $12.99

After this capsule, I have a single link to the site where buyers can view or purchase hub articles and articles on other subjects that I have written.

I can't figure out what exactly the problem is, but I'm awfully close to jumping ship over it. Can anyone help me?

1. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All products and links MUST be tightly related to the actual topics of the Hub, and I'm guessing you went off-topic somewhere in that realm.

But really if you are unclear you need to talk to the moderators, as it's their decisions and POVs that make the calls...

http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

jellygatorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did that two days ago, got no response, and resubmitted the hub today only to have the same thing happen. (There's an advance notice that they will not reply in person to most messages, too.)

2. Little two two profile image84
      Little two twoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I ran into a link issue ... I went through and removed link after link till the offending link was gone, hub was then accepted. I think you answered your own problem when you stated :

After this capsule, I have a single link to the site where buyers can view or purchase hub articles and articles on other subjects that I have written.

key words being ... other subjects I have written.

Just a guess, but try and remove the link, see if that fixes it. That way the hub gets published and you can work on the link problem behind the scenes.

I'm afraid that is not an option for me. This site is supposed to be for writers who want to gain a following. I've seen many posts saying that you can link to your writing websites, and if that's not permitted here I will have to go with a commercial option instead.

1. sofs profile image75
          sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that is not an option for you could write a hub about writing online and services offered in this regard .. In that case linking to your site and your services could be considered to be on the subject. That is my honest opinion.

I may try that, but honestly, after getting the final email from the HP team saying that linking to my articles for sale is a violation, I am pretty disgusted.

2. Little two two profile image84
          Little two twoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just to be clear, am I understanding right?

you want to write articles on hubpages with the sole purpose of promoting your website through the free platform that near 15 million users use by writing articles on one topic and adding personal website links within that have nothing to do with what you wrote about?.

1. Pcunix profile image92
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure.  Isn't that what 98% of the people are here for?

Sure seems that way when I run though the Hopper..  which reminds me, I need to put in the few minutes that I can take  there before I get so disgusted that I cannot go on.

1. Dale Hyde profile image67
              Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Pcunix! You hit the nail on the head.  That IS what most people do here, lol. I run into it running through the Hopper myself.

3. profile image0
      notmeanymoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cause you said the B WORD and it tells us right from the start . .  NO BAD WORDS.

2. relache profile image67
    relacheposted 12 years ago

They can take 48-72 hours to reply. 

If you keep submitting your Hub over and over without having fixed the problem, it can get your account banned permanently so chill out and wait.

Ok, will wait it out. I didn't see a response time, just that they were unlikely to. Thanks, relache!

3. Chuck Bluestein profile image62
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years ago

You are asking us a question that you can answer with an experiment. Instead of imagining what it might be, try an experiment. Take off that last link and see what happens and then you will know for sure. That is what you can do. If it is still no good without that link then maybe the problem is using profanity and insulting female dogs. If it were your site you can do whatever you want, but maybe this site does not want profanity and insulting of female dogs.

A black guy, Dick Gregary, wrote an book that sold over a million copies. But if you were to write a book review of this book on this site, it may be blocked. The name of the book is a derogatory word for black people that starts with an "N."

4. Chuck Bluestein profile image62

I see you have 15 hubs. Did you use that link on any of those hubs?

5. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

How about the word 'bitch?' I would most certainly not use it and it's possible it was flagged for that???

If you do a HubPages search for the word "bitch," two of the items I linked are books there have been reviewed by hubbers. There are entire articles about them that use the word more than I do, such as "22 Signs You're a Bitch."

This is really upsetting me and still no answer from HP though it was published on 15 January.

6. BeatsMe profile image53
    BeatsMeposted 12 years ago

"Bitch" is probably a stop word.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree!  If anything, it's a "go" word for most women!  lol

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Clearly there IS some venom running through your vein oh Randy One! big_smile

7. jellygator profile image83

As I said in the original post, "bitch" was a stop word. The human person that reviewed it lifted that stop, but placed a different one for "unrelated links."

Little Two Two, you're somewhat right. Yes, I sell my freelance writing. Like most people, I cannot support myself on pennies per day of income, and HubPages does promote itself as a means of developing a following and earning revenue. Because readers can purchase any of my hubs from the link I posted, it's automatically related to the material, in my opinion. It's where you can buy the hub itself for your own use. Since hubs on say, crochet are allowed to link to places that sell yarn, why wouldn't a hub itself be sellable? (The link is not to my own site, but to a site that sells content for people who publish on the Internet or in print.)

Chuck, yes, I have used the same link on all of my hubs. In my first post in this thread, you see the items that were linked via an Amazon capsule. Besides that, there was this link with my name, and whatever Google put up.

8. jellygator profile image83

Just got this response, and replied with the one that follows it. I still have no freaking idea of what violation exists:

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your feedback.

Posting links to any site, including Hubs, that are not related to the topic of the Hub is not permitted. This rule has been in place for at least six months, possibly longer. We have Learning Center entries on nearly all rules violations, including unrelated links:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … r-Products

Here is a tutorial on how to create a topic/Hubber specific RSS feed:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubb … c-rss-feed

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

MY REPLY:

Hello,

I'm sorry, but this response doesn't really address my question. I have no idea what link is considered unrelated!

Please consider how this has developed:

I post an article about the difference between aggressive and assertive women. It's titled "She's Such a Bitch! So Why Does He Love Her?" It gets flagged for possible violations due to using the word "bitch." After a real person reviewed it, it came back saying it required revision for unrelated links - nothing to do with mature content. I had used three Amazon products in the capsule, as described in the message I sent to you. Since one was about the role of dogs upon relationships, I removed it thinking that perhaps that was deemed unrelated. At present, the Amazon links include two books about "bitchy" women, and a humorous tin sign that reads, "I'm not really a bitch. I just play one in your life."

Other than this capsule, there are the Google ads and a link where readers can purchase any of my articles including the hub content, for use on their own sites.

Please tell me what is considered unrelated. I have posted in the forum and have not found a single response that indicates anything in my hub is out of line or violates any terms. I have conducted a search of HubPages and discovered that both of the book links included have been reviewed by authors of other hubs. You have articles that use the word bitch far more frequently than my article. None of my other hubs have been flagged for the link to the site where my articles may be purchased.

This makes no sense to me at all. Please review the hub and give me a concrete explanation and specific example of what violation is present, because I simply do not see one.

Thank you,

Kathy Batesel

9. WriteAngled profile image72
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

The simplest thing would be to put the actual link in your profile, where rules are more relaxed. You can then have a sentence in each hub without a link, but saying any who is interested can find the link in your profile.

Even if this situation had not arisen, you would have had problems later on having the link in each hub, because repeated linking to the same domain across a majority of your hubs is not permitted either.

Thank you, WriteAngled.

I'm starting to understand the problem thanks to explanations that break it down.

10. Chuck Bluestein profile image62

It sounds like the automated filters do not pick up that link but when they looked at it manually they saw it. That sounds like a good suggestion to put it in your profile.

11. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Profanity can be exported from hubs via RSS feed in what has been written ... there are many ways that it might be causing a problem. Outgoing links can be an issue sometimes. I agree about trying to unlink the products and re-introduce them gradually one at a time to see what happens. I'd guess one of them was flagged on another website for some issue.

Just keep an eye out for an email or contact from Hub Pages management... they should sort it out.

12. galleryofgrace profile image70
    galleryofgraceposted 12 years ago

Other than this capsule, there are the Google ads and a link where readers can purchase any of my articles including the hub content, for use on their own sites.

More than likely the above statement is the problem.

That is what it was. They have permitted the hub to be published now. I can't say I'm happy with the amount of time and the unclear explanations I got, but I will say they did finally give me clarification after four or five days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)