Do you read hubs written in poor English? Why or why not? And do you tell the

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. jdavis88 profile image91
    jdavis88posted 13 years ago

Do you read hubs written in poor English?  Why or why not?  And do you tell the writer?

Many hubs I see are written in very poor English and are difficult to understand.  Do most people read them?  Should you leave them advice to better their English?

2. mikicagle profile image82
    mikicagleposted 13 years ago

If I start to read a hub that is difficult to understand I usually don't finish reading it. That being said I would never leave a comment on anyones hub that they need to better there language skills because I simply don't know them. They may be doing their absolute best and trying very hard-leaving a comment like that could serve to torpedo their progress.

3. profile image0
    wendy87posted 13 years ago

Yes i read only those having bunch of useful information or interesting even written in poor english!!!!

4. freecampingaussie profile image59
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

If they are of interest to me I will read them for sure ,not everyone is good at English ,Might say something worded nicely if there is a need for it.
    If there are no photo's on a hub I suggest putting them on especially travel hubs

5. J.S.Matthew profile image79
    J.S.Matthewposted 13 years ago

I try very hard to be fair. If the article is incomprehensible, then I will flag it down. I use great discretion when flagging. I never leave a public comment in regards to the quality of the Hub. If something is inappropriate, I flag the Hub and give a reason why.

I use the "Hub Hopper" quite often. This allows me to view a variety of different articles and topics to sift through. I find many great writers on HubPages and I often follow and comment on their Hubs.

If I comment on a Hub, I always rate the article up. I don't have the desire or time to start an argument. I am only here to make friends.

JSMatthew~

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I try to read those Hubs written by people whose native language is not English, and it can be difficult---But you know what? How ever poor their English, it is better than my command of their native language.

It is easy to forget that English is not their native tongue and so I think they are doing well.  I imagine reading Hubs here and continuing to write will improve their English.  We should give them support and encourage them.  Criticizing their English might really hurt them and discourage more writing.

7. sharnas profile image60
    sharnasposted 13 years ago

I understand that there are many supporters for poor English writers like me. Surely i believe , my English will improve in this surroundings.
    Thankyou very much Hubpages....

8. Tamila Roberts profile image37
    Tamila Robertsposted 13 years ago

It's very hard for foreign writers to get used to proper English. For every province in America has their own style of dialect. I believe writing hubs is great to perfect your writing skills. As a matter of fact, for someone who's mind is wired on another language words that don't make sense to original "USA"

Americans could make sense in "slang" English. If you grew up in a french community or if you're a foreigner perfecting English is difficult. I'm a foreigner myself and only started to learn English at age 12 as a necessity. Through year's of reading and writing, I finally attained an average of understanding how to think American. I was naturally attracted to reading, my first big English book was about D&D and reading old US comic books. Sometimes, the things you do that seem useless actually reflects back in the future. Most of that big quest that is life about learning

Since the most internationally spoken language was English, it has become more then a matter of learning for fun. It's about being able to speak out to the rest of the world as a true American would.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 13 years ago

English is not my native language, but after 30 years I think I finally got it.
    Hubs that are written in poor English and that I find hard to read I usually leave alone, perhaps I offer encouragement and tips, but then I imagine myself writing in their language and encourage them to do their best. However it is important to realize that such hubs might cause Google to downgrade HP.

10. David Warren profile image84
    David Warrenposted 13 years ago

If the content is appealing I generally will struggle through reading a grammatical  disaster. If it is  no more than a sales pitch   I skip it altogether.

11. Emmeaki profile image61
    Emmeakiposted 13 years ago

If I see that the person is from another country and they have poor English then I give them the benefit of the doubt, but when I see native English speakers mangling the language then I lose my patience.

12. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

Like others who have answered...I will try to read those hubs from non-native English speakers...and often am very impressed by their subject and their writing (and leave comments and vote up)...If the person is a native English speaker, I, as a teacher, am tempted to critique the writing...I will try to read the hub, but if the grammar and/or spelling are bad enough, I will pass that particular hub and not give any votes or comments....

13. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I will read almost anything. If it doesn't make sense, I will quit. If it is a non-English as a first language writer, I will kindly explain a few of the problems in an effort to help them improve their English skills.
    On a native English speaker, I will suggest that they put their work through a good spell and grammar checking program. I will usually send through email to do that. However, sometimes I just do not care enough and will ignore the problem.
    Most writers want to improve their writing, and accept kindly worded criticism in the manner it was intended. I hate a hub written in one paragraph, and will suggest that they fix it so I can concentrate enough to read it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)