jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

nervous newbie

1. profile image59
    MPIvyposted 8 years ago

Looks like I have good company here. When I "published" my first hub today I was a little embarrassed to see the "suggested tags" still appear on the page.  How do I delete those?

Also, any general comments on content/style much appreciated ... I think I'm ready! smile

This first hub was done as sort of "test" but also a soapbox for a current issue going on now. Any comments on my barely controlled rant?

Thanks so much,
    MPIvy

1. LiamBean profile image89
      LiamBeanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are the only person who sees those. You should use them as they increase the chances of being found on Google, Bing, or Yahoo.

Looks good to me.

None, except "have you talked to Honda?" Those batteries only last so long.

1. Marisa Wright profile image100
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't use them mindlessly though - the suggested tags are automatically created based on your text, and they're not always relevant to the main subject of the Hub.  Only accept the tags that are truly relevant.

1. LiamBean profile image89
          LiamBeanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What Marisa said!

2. Marisa Wright profile image100
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

MPIvy, welcome.  Don't worry, you can see the "suggested tags" but others can't, so you don't need to delete them.

I recommend you search out some of Darkside's Hubs on how to Hub(just search for him and you'll find the links on his profile).  Especially the use of capsules.

Always split your text up over several capsules, not just one.  If you are looking for income, don't put pictures or videos at the top of your Hub - you want your first Adsense ad to be in the top right hand corner, and to do that your first capsule should be a text capsule, a couple of paragraphs long.

3. LiamBean profile image89
    LiamBeanposted 8 years ago

Newbie: My bad. I followed your link and watched the video AFTER I posted. Sheesh!

I think it looks good. The video is a nice touch and the link at the bottom is a good idea.

1. profile image59
      MPIvyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback. The whole thing here is  pretty unnerving at first and I worried about publishing the video and link.

Big difference between reading about this and actually doing it.

I think I'm hooked now!

4. RooBee profile image77
    RooBeeposted 8 years ago

Following Marisa's advice will certainly set you on the right path! Poring over Darkside's Hubbing How-To Hubs is a must for the newbie!!

All I have to offer (being no expert here by any means) is a sincere WELCOME to you!

Keep hubbing big_smile

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 8 years ago

Welcome to hubpages MPIvy. Don't be sccared just publish your hubs away. smile

6. torimari profile image71
    torimariposted 8 years ago

Hey there and welcome. I'm a 'newb' too. Not even two weeks old here, hehe.

You are indeed, not alone! wink

7. RooBee profile image77
    RooBeeposted 8 years ago

Yeah, what Marisa said. smile

Seriously, though, with tags less is often more. Only use relevant tags. The 'suggested tags' will sometimes pull random words from your hub that don't at all reflect what your hub is about. It's a cool feature, but you have to use your discretion with it.

I recently went through and edited a lot of the tags I had and I think traffic is improving as a result. Basically, you want to steer clear of overly general tags ("car") and shoot for long-chain (I think that's what they're called) keywords ("hybrid honda problems" "honda hybrid review").

I hope that helps in some way!!

PS - Definitely keep writing. You'll learn as you go (I know I still am!!) and can drop back and edit accordingly anytime.

working