Why do I get this strange google analytics results?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Bobri Dobri profile image66
    Bobri Dobriposted 12 years ago

Why do I get this strange google analytics results?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions, because I have no idea what's wrong with my hubs.Let's take my best hub, Beautiful Russian names, for example. I have google analytics data for 8 days. It shows 147 pageviews total, while 74 are from search engines. And here is the strangest thing, list of keywords made people to come: energy drinks in the philippines, a guide of elegance, are men polygamous by nature, etc. HOW? How can they land in my page? There is no mention of it, even in other hubs. And from the other side that few people who came with correct keywords, all spent 0 seconds..

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Don't fret over this. Some of the keywords show if the visitor used them on a first search which through another keyword from the original search lead them to your article. That's one reason but not the only one.

Example; If I search for SHAPES on Google and the list it gives me has links with the word SHAPES and I happen to click on it, it may take me to an article about SILHOUETTES, but on the Analytic report the keyword that will show would be SHAPES.

3. Rob Winters profile image77
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

Regarding the last part of your question.

I had also been curious about the average time spent per visitor frequently being reported by GA as 00:00:00.

From what i can gather the duration of a page view is calculated by measuring the time between the first page view and the 2nd page view (plus 3rd page view + 4th page view etc) so if a visitor only views one page on your site you get a 00:00:00.This does not help reflect that someone may have found what they needed on that first page or that they didn't click your ads etc just that they didn't load more than 1 of your sites pages. Would be helpfull to know the duration of those single page views alright.

Yep just double checked my GA account all of the 00:00:00 average time of visits are all 1 page views.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is also possible to alter the analytics code so that it records the time spent on the first page. If you add the necessary code your bounce rate will drop by 70% at least! This is not possible at HP as we have no ability to add the js  code.

4. Bobri Dobri profile image66
    Bobri Dobriposted 12 years ago

LuisEGonzalez, thanks for your explanation. It sounds reasonable.

Rob Winters, thanks for sharing your findings! that's strange what you are saying.. Is GA really so dull to calculate correct duration? Did you find any evidences of it in GA help resources? But it fits my data as well, all 0 duration visits are 1 page visits... Then it's kind of relief..

5. profile image0
    erikjohnsonposted 12 years ago

GA is highly inaccurate.  The reason is that for one they have a tough job.  Second they do not want to give us too much information.  They want to keep us thinking and working.  They try their best but the data is way off.  Their are other analytics software product out their that can give you much better data.  It just depends how important it is to you.  Most SEO and Web Developers use other products because they know they can not trust Googles.

6. ArockDaNinja profile image69
    ArockDaNinjaposted 12 years ago

My google analytics results seem normal. I was looking through to see if I could find similar problems as you have and I can't.

7. flowmeter profile image60
    flowmeterposted 12 years ago

Yeh I know what you mean. I have seen that the google search engine is ranking lots of irrelevant pages these days

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)