jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Why do I get this strange google analytics results?

1. Bobri Dobri profile image76
    Bobri Dobriposted 6 years ago

Why do I get this strange google analytics results?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions, because I have no idea what's wrong with my hubs.Let's take my best hub, Beautiful Russian names, for example. I have google analytics data for 8 days. It shows 147 pageviews total, while 74 are from search engines. And here is the strangest thing, list of keywords made people to come: energy drinks in the philippines, a guide of elegance, are men polygamous by nature, etc. HOW? How can they land in my page? There is no mention of it, even in other hubs. And from the other side that few people who came with correct keywords, all spent 0 seconds..

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image89
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

Don't fret over this. Some of the keywords show if the visitor used them on a first search which through another keyword from the original search lead them to your article. That's one reason but not the only one.

Example; If I search for SHAPES on Google and the list it gives me has links with the word SHAPES and I happen to click on it, it may take me to an article about SILHOUETTES, but on the Analytic report the keyword that will show would be SHAPES.

3. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

Regarding the last part of your question.

I had also been curious about the average time spent per visitor frequently being reported by GA as 00:00:00.

From what i can gather the duration of a page view is calculated by measuring the time between the first page view and the 2nd page view (plus 3rd page view + 4th page view etc) so if a visitor only views one page on your site you get a 00:00:00.This does not help reflect that someone may have found what they needed on that first page or that they didn't click your ads etc just that they didn't load more than 1 of your sites pages. Would be helpfull to know the duration of those single page views alright.

Yep just double checked my GA account all of the 00:00:00 average time of visits are all 1 page views.

1. Dressage Husband profile image78
      Dressage Husbandposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is also possible to alter the analytics code so that it records the time spent on the first page. If you add the necessary code your bounce rate will drop by 70% at least! This is not possible at HP as we have no ability to add the js  code.

4. Bobri Dobri profile image76
    Bobri Dobriposted 6 years ago

LuisEGonzalez, thanks for your explanation. It sounds reasonable.

Rob Winters, thanks for sharing your findings! that's strange what you are saying.. Is GA really so dull to calculate correct duration? Did you find any evidences of it in GA help resources? But it fits my data as well, all 0 duration visits are 1 page visits... Then it's kind of relief..

5. profile image0
    erikjohnsonposted 6 years ago

GA is highly inaccurate.  The reason is that for one they have a tough job.  Second they do not want to give us too much information.  They want to keep us thinking and working.  They try their best but the data is way off.  Their are other analytics software product out their that can give you much better data.  It just depends how important it is to you.  Most SEO and Web Developers use other products because they know they can not trust Googles.

6. ArockDaNinja profile image82
    ArockDaNinjaposted 6 years ago

My google analytics results seem normal. I was looking through to see if I could find similar problems as you have and I can't.

7. flowmeter profile image60
    flowmeterposted 6 years ago

Yeh I know what you mean. I have seen that the google search engine is ranking lots of irrelevant pages these days

working