jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I stop my hub from displaying inappropriate/offensive adsense ads?

1. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

How can I stop my hub from displaying inappropriate/offensive adsense ads?

I wrote a hub about Islamic astronomy in the Middle Ages, and am upset to see a google adsense ad that I find inappropriate and possibly offensive to certain readers. It was an ad from the "Conservative Action Alerts" entitled "Stop Shariah Law from Coming to Your Town". While I respect all political perspectives, I do not want a political ad that may offend some readers displayed on my hub, as I think this could reflect badly on me. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. minso profile image75
    minsoposted 6 years ago

You can modify your ads profile in your adsense account.

Login to your Google adsense account, go to Ad Review Center and under Category filters, you can check 'Religion' and save your profile. In that case any Religion based ads dont come up for your id.

If such an ad is coming up from only one URL and you want to block that URL, Go to As sense setup->Competitive Ad filter and add the URLs whiich you want to exclude displaying ads. Save changes before you come out.

There is one more menu option called allowed sites. There you can mention 'allow only certain sites' and then list your preferred sites. However this option will be more complicated to implement since we need to enter all allowed sites.

Google is mentioning that there is a new interface for adsense accounts where you can have better control of ads to be displayed. You can check up that also (links will be available from your adsense account). However I have not seen this new interface yet and not sure if it is already implemented. But whatever selection you make now will generally continue in the new interface also.

Hope this helps.

3. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

Nice thank you so much! I didn't even realize I could control anything about Adsense. Great answer.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

While what minso advised is accurate (and good advice) please remember that you share impression time on your Hubs with HubPages.  They get 40% of the ad impression time.  When their affiiliate code is attched to your Hubs, your custom ads options will not be in effect.  Thus, the ads you are trying to prevent could still appear on your Hubs 40% of the time.

working