jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Control AdSense Adds On Hubpages

1. profile image56
    Lane Kovnatposted 8 years ago

Hi All,

I am seeing adds that are offensive to me appear on my hub. Is there any way to control this without deleting my Hub?

Thanks,

Lane

1. bhoge profile image49
      bhogeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think it will take some time to get right kind of ads which is suitable to your content big_smile

2. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

Have some nonconverting page impressions from me, your hub is filled with ads for leads and internet marketing junk.

Congrats!

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Having joined 6 hours ago and posting this message 5 hours ago I can only suggest that you wait longer than an hour.

I haven't checked your hub, because likely given my geographic location I could be seeing different ads that what you see. But I am interested, what was it that you found offensive?

4. Misha profile image72
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

People who get easily offended should not venture into interwebz big_smile

5. profile image56

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick responses. As some of you suggested the adds adjusted to the theme of my hub. They are no longer offensive just my competitors now.

It's too bad they insist on putting my competitors adds on my own hub but what can I do?

Lane

1. gbrgn profile image73
      gbrgnposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Try the Competitive Ad Filter in Adsense. It works nicely if you don't like an advertiser to be on your hub. There is a maximum limit of 200 filters. It takes a few hours to take into effect.

Go into Adsense dashboard.

Click Adsense setup tab.

Click Competitive Ad Filter option.

This is what you get -
      ----------------------------------------------

Competitive Ad Filter

The Competitive Ad Filter enables you to block specific ads, such as competitors' ads, from appearing on your pages. Entering a more general URL will block a wider range of ads; entering a more specific URL will block a smaller range of ads. For example, by entering a top level domain such as "example.com", you'll also block all ads that link to any sub-directories of that domain, like "forums.example.com". Review the examples below to learn how you can create filters that will block only the range of ads you want.

--------------------------------------------

All you need to do is type in the competitors web address.

1. darkside profile image80
        darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That'll work. Though keep in mind it'll only work on ones own impressions (so it could still show the ads you don't like when it's displaying HubPages HQ's ad impressions).

6. Misha profile image72
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Well, this is the nature of Adsense. You can

1. Run your own Adwords campaign targeted on hubpages and outbid all your competitors.
    2. Filter them out using Adsense competitors filter.
    3. Remove the links from your hub and disable Adsense on it
    4. Live with that.

#1 will quickly put you out of business.
    #2 does not solve the problem completely, because their ads will still be shown in Hubpages share
    #3 Gives you a complete solution - but what is the point of having a hub then?

So, basically you are left with #4, that can be slightly mitigated with #2.

Hope this helps smile

7. profile image56

Misha,

Yeah I guess you're right about the choices.

Do you know how to do two of the thngs you things you suggested? Can you tell me how to.....

2. Filter them out using Adsense competitors filter.

3. Remove the links from your hub and disable Adsense on it

Thanks,

Lane

1. Misha profile image72
      Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Number two was answered already, I can't possibly explain it any better smile

Now, for #3. You have links in your hub that point to your site. You can remove them by editing corresponding text capsule. When you don't have any outgoing links, you are allowed to turn off the ads on your hub completely. While you are still in editing mode, at the top of your screen, under settings tab, choose none from ads menu and uncheck "this hub may be considered commercial" checkbox. Bingo! smile

Well, this will work in general - but not in this particular case. Because your hub promotes your business, and therefore is considered commercial even without links. More, it is in direct violation of Hubpages TOS, because its sole purpose is promoting your business, and it will be brought down as soon as it catches attention of HP staff smile

8. profile image58
    panah100posted 8 years ago

Adsense disgusts me. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but Adsense is the worst way to monetize content. Having said that, I understand why Hubpages folks like it.

working