jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it wrong to click on your own Amazon ad?

1. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

Is it wrong to click on your own Amazon ad?

Is it wrong to click on your own Amazon ad when making a purchase? I know it's wrong with AdSense. Entering Amazon through your own ad "window" will give you a percentage of the sale, i.e. a discount.

2. thebeast02 profile image86
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

I've ordered something from Amazon, by going to their site from my browser without clicking on one of my ads. It still showed my purchase in my Amazon Reports as an ordered item, but you do not make any commission off of it as it is not listed in the "shipped" column for a legit sale. I use the same e-mail for my associate account as I do for my normal Amazon purchasing, this could be the reason why it recognized it. I would imagine that Amazon wouldn't knowingly give you a discount on purchased items through your ads.

I'm curious as to what others have to say on this, there are plenty people on HubPages that get regular sales and know the system very well. I'm sure one of them will be able to help you out.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

According to HP staff, we should not click or purchase anything from any of the advertisers on HubPages from the HubPages site. You can purchase anything by closing the browser and going directly to the advertiser's site from another browser instead of reaching the site from HP.

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 6 years ago

From Amazon Associates FAQ (which I can't link to in order to credit it):
    ---
    You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner.
    ---

In other words, since they have code in place that tracks the purchase, they also notice, "Hey, wait a minute, that's YOU!" (the associate) and do not credit it as a referral.

working