jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should 'Hub Karma' be removed?

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Should 'Hub Karma' be removed?

Is it really worthwhile to have hub karma? I've never fully understood the concept anyway - but is it really that beneficial to anyone?

Many thanks in advance for all responses!

2. Moon Daisy profile image83
    Moon Daisyposted 6 years ago

As I don't fully understand the concept either I couldn't say whether it should be removed or not!  I know it has to do with the number of links that we share, but beyond that I'm not too sure.  I am keen to see what other people think about this, so I'm sure that I'll learn something from this thread.

3. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 6 years ago

It is beneficial to other hubbers, especially for those with good hubs (since their hubs have an increased likelihood of being linked to.) If you link to a hub, it gives that hubber an internal backlink. The goal of hub karma is to get hubbers to link to each other in to increase the SEO value of hubs overall.

I don't know how important internal linking is since Panda, but I know it's one thing that was really beneficial in the past.

I do, on occasion, link out to other hubbers from my hub, but I do so only because it's a benefit to the reader and not to increase my hub karma. I've come across several hubs where you can tell they're linking just for the hub karma and not to improve their readers experience.

I see the point of hub karma, but I don't think it's the best way to get hubbers to link to each other. Hubbers who want to give their readers a good experience on their hubs will naturally link out (tastefully) to other hubbber's hubs. However, those just looking to raise their arbitrary hub karma score will do it not-so-tastefully. Since good hubbers will naturally link out to others without the hub karma, there's no point in having it. All it does is incite people to just link to random hubs without regard to their audience. That's just my two bits, though.

I hope that was helpful. smile

4. Slightly Bonkers profile image60
    Slightly Bonkersposted 6 years ago

I am not even sure what a Hub Karma is... is that that point system? That should be removed... it does not really make sense especially when you share your link outside Hubpages (i.e. Twitter, Facebook & Co). Nobody else knows anything about it and it might confuse them.

5. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

I've always wondered, too. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge of it will respond to this question!

6. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

melbel - many thanks for giving such a great answer appreciated!

Moon Daisy, Slightly Bonkers, Victorial Lynn - I'm with you guys, I don't have much of a clue of why they even have HK.