A New HubPages Challenge/Contest: Grow the HubPot

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 66 discussions (342 posts)
  1. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 10 years ago

Hello Hubbers.  We are very excited to announce a week long challenge.  Check out our Blog post for more information!  Good luck!

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that you are limiting this to Hubs with a score of 8 or better on an evaluation by MTurkers that we can't even see.  It's like having a teacher grade your kid's work and not showing you how it was evaluated. 

I've had four Hubs published in the past six months which didn't even pass QAP the first time.  I had to write the team an email and suddenly they were featured without my changing a single thing.  Those four Hubs, by the way, rank well with Google and have received over 156,494 page views!

I think that if the new HP goal for 2014 is more Hubs with a high QAP score rather than more Hubs with high traffic from Google, the team/community is focusing on the wrong rubric and I am surprised to learn that you feel that "this goal is the key to the survival of HubPages."  Frankly, I find that to be a little scary.

1. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We aren't limiting this to an 8 or better; we are just giving this as a guideline.  HubPages Staff will be evaluating the Hubs, not MTurkers.  smile   The spirit of our challenge is to give Hubbers a chance to earn a bit more on their high-quality Hubs and to work as a team to grow the pot.  Many Hubbers have been asking for a contest, and we thought this would be great.  smile

Robin, I just published a new Hub today and my Hubber Score went down by another point.  The new Hub's Score went down by five points from where it started seven hours ago.  I don't really feel like publishing another Hub right now.  Have a nice contest.

2. HollieT profile image82
          HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rarely do I agree with WriterFox, but I agree that the evaluation of our hubs is important. We can't really shoot for an 8 if the definition of an 8 is cloudy and open to interpretation, can we?

And if an 8 may vary between HP staff and MTurkers, that's even more confusing. I think it's a positive initiative to help hubbers earn more, but a regressive step to say it doesn't have to be an 8 this is just a guideline. I agree that the templates could be really quite helpful for new hubbers and those who have struggled with the quality aspect of their hubs, but surely you can improve the quality of content on this site by helping hubbers truly understand where they have fallen when it comes to ratings?  I don't believe this move could assist spammers or those wanting to 'con' the system, but would assist in interpreting what defines quality for those who are unsure and need to revise their hubs.

And if we're shooting for an 8, let's shoot for an 8, why should anything less be worthy?

1. Robin profile image86

Maybe the best way to think of it, is to write the best Hub that you can.  If you read through the contest page and our judging guidelines, it might be clearer.  smile

1. HollieT profile image82

I always do, and I haven't had any problems when it comes to QAP or quality. Just think that it might be difficult for some people who have a lot to offer, but limited experience when it comes to writing.  Surely the way the forward is to raise the standard and bring everyone to a particular level, then to lower the standard in favour of doling out grades (so to speak) smile

2. HollieT profile image82

And just to add, if you don't want to give individual scores maybe it would help to offer an example of a recent hub which scored highly and to indicate why it scored highly and what the hubber did right. Just a thought.

So, here's the way it is Hollie:  The staff hopes to have 200 new featured Hubs published per day.  The staff will read all 200 Hubs which, if everyone spends just five minutes per Hub, will take 16 1/2 hours per staff member per day.  Then the staff will choose just ten of those Hubs to go into a hat for a random drawing.  The winning Hub of the day will receive $25 if there were 200 entries and $12.50 if there were only 100 entries. Out of all of the Hubs published and featured during the week (over 1,400 if 200 are published each day) the staff will choose 10 Hubs to go into another hat for a random drawing.  The Grand Prize Winner of that drawing will receive $175 if there were 200 Hubs per day and $87.50 if there were only 100 Hubs per day.

Knock yourself out.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of those amounts of money.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At a raw 1 in 200 chance--you probably won't need to?

2. Robin profile image86

I would check out this Learning Center entry:  How to Improve the Quality of a Hub.  There are before and after examples and the reasons why the latter are better.  The after examples are all at least an 8.  You can also see daily examples with Hub of the Day.  Here's the HOD Archive.   I'm working on ways to help new Hubbers learn the tricks of the trade here.  We should have one piece of the puzzle soon.  I promise we are working on ways to make the process better.  Thanks and I hope you participate in the contest, Hollie!  smile

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before and will no doubt be helpful to new writers and those who've struggled with the QAP process.

2. profile image0
                  Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mr. & Mrs. E. — I have never participated in an HP contest before, but this sounds like an opportunity to cross something off of my bucket list!  Just out of curiosity, how many featured Hubs does HP ... er ... feature per week, on average (year round)?

3. Cardisa profile image89
                  Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think all HOTDs are 8 or better on the quality scale. Ive' seen HOTDs which makes me wonder if there was a mistake choosing them smile

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
                    Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Somebody had to say it!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
                    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that. I have seen HOTDs that makes my heart ache when I know there are much better hubs.

3. profile image0

Re: Style Guidelines for the Contest

One thing I wanted to point out: The use of a table of contents in longer Hubs often generates a style warning.  I hope something like that wouldn't red flag the QAP algorithm and immediately remove Hubs from contention?

1. Robin profile image86

Having a table of contents is absolutely fine.  We have them in a few Learning Center entries.  smile

1. profile image0

¡Fantástico! Gracias Señora Edmondson!

2. Cardisa profile image89

Hi Robin, maybe this is the motivation I need to start writing here again. I was thinking of packing it in but I will give it another go.  I have started working on a couple of articles. Even if I don't win the challenge should be enough to  wake me up...so to speak.

1. Robin profile image86

Glad to hear it, Cardisa!  I look forward to reading your Hubs.  smile

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I am looking forward to this contest -- whether I win anything or not, it is a great challenge and motivator. I have already created a spreadsheet on the hubs I intend to write for the contest. I so enjoyed the last contest I participated in for poetry. That was a long time ago.

Thanks, Robin and Team.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I am in !!!!  I just published my hub at 10 PM.  This is so exciting. Good luck to all who enter the contest. I love being part of this.  cool

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I am having fun just reading all the posts in this thread.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I have three hubs in ( Monday, Tuesday, Friday) and working on my fourth for tomorrow.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Neat challenge. Sounds familiar. I remember this challenge back in 2012 minus the money incentive. It should be fun. Will participate if I can find the time.
    Edit: Yes there was money, $25 I think. I recall entering only to be disqualified because I misunderstood the time deadline. Ahh, the memories. smile

1. Robin profile image86

That was a great contest and one of the reasons we brought this one back!  I'm sure you'll get the timing right this time!  smile  Thanks, Jan!

3. Froggy213 profile image64
    Froggy213posted 10 years ago

Yes Robin, I have to have some agreement with Writer Fox here. It seems we write high quality hubs here anymore and our Hubber score drops. I am not real happy with the way this system seems to be working around here either.

There was a day when I was running scores from 95-100. Now, I am at an 81. From what I have been told, my hubs have grown in quality, but my score drops. That just doesn't make sense.

I have top rated scores on Elance as a freelancer. Top rated on Zerys as a Ghostwriter and have over 45 books published that are all doing well, but Hubpages figures I am only an 81.

Yea, have a great contest.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Hey, Robin.

This is a nice contest and a nice thing you are doing.

Best regards,

Paradigmsearch

5. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
    Nouveau Skepticposted 10 years ago

How do we shoot for something we cannot see and never know whether we have hit?

Me, personally, I don't buy lottery tickets or gamble. So these random prize things don't really motivate me....

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Noveau,

If you follow the Stellar Hub guidelines, you should have a very good chance of winning.

6. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

If I can find the time next week I'd be happy to participate. I am glad that you are bringing back competitions, it's been awhile and I haven't participated in any of them yet.  I hope it works out well and people will enjoy it and look at it more as a personal challenge perhaps. 

Yes, the guidelines are sometimes a bit cloudy, especially for newcomers and writing is highly subjective. 

I see a lot of complaining around the forums about wanting "set" rules, but then when rules get set, others complaining that the rules are too stringent.  "guidelines" are not the same as "rules" the way I see it. guidelines are like suggestions where rules are very strict.  I do love the idea of a sample hub and hope HP will share with us what their idea of an 8 standard is to give people a clearer idea.

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone, but I think the past year has shown a great deal of improvement. 
    For the longest time I stopped hopping hubs because it was a constant bombardment of crap - let's be honest.   Lately, I started hopping again and have come across a lot of really great hubs.  Not only was the content good, but the layouts were also nice.  I think the QAP process has done wonders for hub pages.  Is it perfect? no, but it has made a positive impact from what I can see.

http://hubpages.com/sample/ae892
      substance: 9, organization: 8, grammar and mechanics: 9

2. agilitymach profile image94
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree Christin with everything you said.  Hogwash to the naysayers, and a big cheer for the improvement in Hubs.  I'm seeing a big improvement in quality as well. 

I'm uber busy right now, but I hope to be writing some Hubs for the contest.  I've got some great ideas brewing.  Now...to find the time!!!

7. How to - Answers profile image92
    How to - Answersposted 10 years ago

Great news!  I look forward to entering this competition

8. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

For what is worth, I am devoting at least half my time to HP this year.

So it is rather important that the site survives, as far as I am concerned, lol.

I hereby pledge at least 2 competent hubs in the next week.

1. agilitymach profile image94

Hear hear!!!!

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Certainly I echo that, but I hope HubPages demise is not being floated by anyone as a possibility? if Hubpages disappeared I just don't know what I'd do because I've writing on here several hours each day, and I've not seen a better, more professional looking site of its kind.

That's why I'm a big supporter of competitions: I think there are two strong arguments for competitions such as this, provided they are devised thoughtfully.

1) They provide an incentive for those who find it hard to get motivated.
      2) They encourage writers to strive for quality.

Both goals - increasing output by members and increasing quality - when combined, can only be beneficial to everyone. Best wishes with your entries.

9. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

This sounds like a great challenge, Robin! It's is a nice way to get more high quality hubs on this site. We should have challenges like this more often! I am looking forward to giving it my best shot. I will publish four to five hubs next week. smile

10. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I'm happy to see something like this brought back again. I don't know if I'll have the time or not, but it is a good idea.

11. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 10 years ago

If you don't reach the payout for the month, your prize winnings will disappear? That's certainly a discouragement for anyone using multiple, smaller accounts.

Hi Len,

Your money will remain in your account until you've earned enough to reach the payout limit ($50). It never disappears unless you contact Staff and request that we close your account. (Or unless you are permanently banned for violating our Terms of Service.)

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So if a person never reaches payout, and elects to close their account with $20 in it, you (HP) keep the change?

Yes, they keep the money:
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#closeaccount

Thanks.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
        Len Cannonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, I see. I took the wrong inference from the rules. Thank you.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Come to think of it, does the contest money appear in the February earnings, or the March earnings (paid end of April)? For weird personal reasons I'd actually prefer they show up in the March earnings (paid end of April).

For the daily winners, the money will be added the day after that Hubber has won. So if you win the daily HubPot on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, it will be added to your February balance (though if you reach payout in Feb your money will be sent around March 28th). If you win the daily HubPot on Friday or later, or if you win the grand prize HubPot, your winnings will be credited to your March balance.

13. profile image53
    Nero Walkerposted 10 years ago

Hi all,

I notice you have to be in the Hubpages earning program to do the challenge. How many hubs do you have to have to join the earning program? (I don't have any yet)
    And how likely is it I'd be approved for the earnings program in time for the challenge?.
    Thanks. smile

Hi Nero,

In order to join the HubPages Earnings Program (HEP), you need a PayPal account and a tax form. You can find instructions for signing up here in our Learning Center: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubp … am-and-ads

14. profile image0
    Natasha Petersposted 10 years ago

Wonderful idea - it's great to see a new challenge. Unfortunately for me it takes days or weeks to write just one hub, and I don't yet have an accepted Adsense account... but still! At least I'll have an influx of hubs to read over the week.

Hopefully there will be lots of competitions in the future!

15. janshares profile image93

So when we enter, we just hit publish. No need to post the hub link in this or that forum, blah, blah, blah like before? So essentially, anyone who publishes next week is automatically entered, right?

Yep, you just have to be enrolled in the HubPages Earnings Program and publish a Hub that is featured to be automatically entered in the Challenge.

Only the first Hub per AdSense ID per day will be counted, so if you're planning to publish multiple Hubs in a day, make sure your first one is the best because it's the one that will be judged.

Each day of next week that you publish a new Featured Hub, you'll have a new chance to win (and each Featured Hub will increase the amount of the prizes too). smile

Great, easy enough, thanks!

16. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

HP: Hey guys! We're giving away our money when we don't have to! All you have to do is publish something that gets featured and you have a chance! It should be fun!

Forum Posters: You MONSTERS!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL  That's the way it works sometimes, isn't it?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some of us behaved ourselves. lol

Ahhhh hahahaha. Great post.

17. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years ago

Good to see HubPages reintroducing competitions after such a long time, and particularly a competition based on quality.

I know some are concerned about what constitutes an 8 on the quality writing scale, and how it is measured, and how 'winners' will be chosen in this competition, but I would not want to discourage HubPages from this kind of initiative.

It must be good to try to motivate all members to write better quality articles and to provide incentives to do so, and if a competition such as this which adds a little spice and excitement to writing and publishing a hub helps, then that will be good for all.

My only regret is that it will only last for a week. - I'll be doing well if I can get just two new hubs written and published in the space of a week!

Still, I hope the competition goes well.

18. Sharkye11 profile image90
    Sharkye11posted 10 years ago

I have a question about this challenge. I have several hubs that I am working on. They have never been published, I just create a few title per month and  write on them as I find the time (and the right images).

If I finish them and publish them will they be counted? Or are they "dated" from the time I first created their titles? Just curious! Thanks!

1. profile image0

Wow, that's a good question!  I just assumed Hubs wouldn't be counted until you hit the publish button, but now I would like to know for sure, too.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Hubs will be counted from the date they are first published, not the date they were started.

However, if a Hub was previously published but is no longer published, it will not be counted if you re-publish it next week.

1. Sharkye11 profile image90
        Sharkye11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thanks! These have never been published. Glad they count!

Yep, they definitely will! smile

19. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I just posted a new Hub and it's featured. Sooooo... I guess that means I'm "In?" Woohoo!

But the challenge doesn't start until Monday, does it?

2. Robin profile image86

Well, not quite.  Hub entries may first be submitted Monday, February 24th at 12:01am, Midnight (PT).  Here's the contest page to read up on the official rules and guidelines.  smile

1. FatFreddysCat profile image91
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

D'OH! (Slaps forehead) That's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

(ala Emily Litella): "Never mind."

This absolutely sounds like something I would do, which is why I had to say 'does it' Still, you've written another hub which may end up earning you some money smile

20. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Question:

I notice our hubs list has "changed date" on hubs not yet published, which seems to refresh each time we work on as-yet-unpublished hubs.

I am wondering if these dates "count" in the contest, and would not be considered valid entries if finished during the contest week.

I have several hubs I've begun, but due to assorted personal issues, have let languish unpublished.  If I finish them, and publish them during the contest period, does the actual publication date then supersede the original date on which work was begun?

Or, must we start from scratch with new topics entirely instead of dusting off unfinished pieces and completing them?

Thanks for any clarification.

Lizzy

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Based on previous contests, it's the "published" date that matters.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ok--thanks, Marisa.  wink

2. Robin profile image86

Marisa is correct.  Thanks! smile

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

Happy Hot Dog! A miracle has occurred. I just came up with a hub topic for the contest. This hub idea would not have happened if the contest hadn't come along and poked me with a stick. So, I, paradigmsearch, do hereby promise to submit at least one hub for this contest.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Woo Hoooo  !    +1

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

big_smile

CNN is already preparing a press release about their impending coverage.

1. sallybea profile image93
          sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wish I had delayed publishing my Hub today - it has now been featured two days too early.  It takes me ages to complete a Hub and it would have been nice to enter it in the competition.

1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

That's annoying isn't it! Maybe in the days just before a competition they should add a competition reminder next to the publish button? Never mind - in the longer term I guess it won't affect the hub's performance significantly. Hope you can get another one or two done in the next week.

I usually bank a number of hubs in various stages of completion...then, if a contest comes along, (unless it is on a specific topic for which I have no waiting hub), I can just complete and publish in a timely fashion.  If there are no contests, then I still have hubs available to finish and publish at my leisure.

You sneaky thing you! I wrote a hub too wooo-woooo! I can't believe I wrote a hub in the last couple of days over 1300 words. When I started it I thought it would be at most 800 words but it kept growing. I used one of HP's templates and it motivated me to fill in all the capsules the way they are set out.

LOL!  This time, I was interrupted by a series of personal issues, so I have more "leftovers" than I normally would.

Cool on your completion of a hub with template!  I often end up in one of those templates, and it never seems to fit what I want to do, so I usually just select the basic article template, and add the capsules I want to use..except for recipes--then I'll use the recipe template.  wink

1. Cardisa profile image89

I find using the templates quite motivating for a stellar hub and I can just delete the capsules I don't need smile

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, I am happy to hear you are back to writing.

Thanks Barbara. I guess I was looking for motivation. The challenge is motivation enough. I don't mind not winning, I just want to compete smile

22. phtech profile image77
    phtechposted 10 years ago

I have a feeling that the only people that will win are going to be people that HP staff favor. They'll probably just comb through the names that they recognize to find the 10 hubs that could win the pot. Regardless, I will work on a few hubs to see if I can get paid. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but will not even think of entering for that very reason.

I was going to ignore this but it's comments like these why I really don't want to stick around Hubpages and was thinking of packing it in.

Cardisa The place would not be the same without you!

People moan when the staff don't take the time to connect with the Hubbers and then they moan when they do something which to me seems like a positive action.

I would suggest that you ignore the doubters and prove them wrong by winning the dosh.  We sure need an injection of positive energy on these forums.   

You have a great day.

Hi Sally, thanks smile It's people like you why I do stick around.

I have never liked negativity. Reminds me too much of volatile environments I worked in before. I had a nervous breakdown once and my work place help contributed to my depressed state of mind. I try to stay clear of negative people...better for my health smile

You are very welcome, I am glad that you were able to put all that behind you.   The fact is that quality Hubs should draw in the traffic.

I reckon it is up to us  to knuckle down and reap the benefits when they come.

I for one am pleased with my progress and I am delighted that we have a new deal with our Amazon Ads.  E-Bay eat your heart out!

1. phtech profile image77
              phtechposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not trying to be too negative. I will admit, I am grateful that HP gives me a place to earn a little money for my writing. I am just saying that I think the playing field is stacked. A perfect example is the hub I wrote last night. It's the first hub that I've written that wasn't featured, yet I have no idea why. Someone could have just had a bad day and decided to hit the nuke button on everything that was written last night. I'm not claiming to be the only one that is picked on, but it seems to happen to more people than not.

Maybe I've just lost my talent... Who knows?

Just send an email to the team and have it reviewed again.

Forgot to mention: They probably won't get the email until Monday.

A hub not being featured could be one of many reasons and sometimes, the hubber can't be objective because he/she did their best. However, the simple thing to do would be to ask for help.

I can take a look at the hub for you if you like. You can allow me to see the hub by placing it in your featured hub section on your profile or send me the link. I can take a look and let you know if I see anything you might have missed.

I appreciate the offer from an experienced hubber to go over my hub. The link is http://phtech.hubpages.com/hub/Get-Out- … Right-Way. I can take constructive criticism, so feel free to swing away. I will send an email to the staff to have it reviewed again if you feel like it is a quality hub. Thanks.

Melissa might be on to something, but tweaking it a little may get you higher points when the rating system is back up.

First of all your topic is excellent and the way you presented is very good. I would reduce the slightly overuse of your keywords.

Layout is a small portion on the rating scale but it does help to have a great layout so I would do a more appealing presentation. As is, everything is just stacked atop each other, no right alignment or anything.

Your paragraphs also need to be broken up, as is they are just one big block per capsule. Break the first paragraph in two, leave the first image as is, align the polls to the right and color them grey or blue (making them more visible), break up the other paragraphs and align the Amazon capsules to the right of those two capsules under which they are.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's fairly promotional and very close (if not past) the mark of being purely promotional. That's going to hit substance scores pretty hard. I mean you even state specifically in the hub that you are promoting it.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Since I didn't rate last night, here's my completely impartial answer: Yeah, theoretically that could have happened. However, it should make it better to know that if it did, that rater likely isn't making any money for a couple days until their accuracy comes back up... that's assuming they still have the ability to rate. If they nuked everything because of a bad day, it is more likely their accuracy rating fell so far that they lost the qualification to rate... permanently. (The equivalent of being fired).

Go ahead and give the hub a quick once over and submit it again. If it gets featured, great. If not, throw the link up in hub make-overs and have it critiqued.

2. profile image0

I feel your pain on that one, Cardisa!  I've been through the gauntlet of negativity in both work and social environments.  Nihilism was trendy in my area growing up — you know, that perpetually dark and bitterly sarcastic critique of the human condition?  It gets old after awhile.

I find it around me so often now and it's strange because I grew up in a different environment. I keep being surprised by people's views on morality and society....lol

I also avoid loud and aggressive persons for they are vexations to my spirit. big_smile

+1

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Please try not to let it get to you, Cardisa. There are always going to be negative people on every platform. I've never had Hub of the Day or anything like that, but I maintain a very high author score even when I'm not writing, commenting, or on the forums. My hubs do very well and I'm not 'favored' by the staff here by any means.

Hubpages is a good place to write and make money but it's not always the best community. That's why I haven't been on the forums for forever.

1. merej99 profile image74
          merej99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Everyday Miracles.  Negativity is everywhere and maybe it's not the best "community" but just be yourself and write what you're passionate about!  If it's interesting to you, chances are it's interesting to others as well.  It's not like writers, journalists and bloggers are opinionated, right?  LOL
          As for me, hubpages is training grounds for me.  I feel like I've learned so much and grown as a writer and I hope that continues. smile

I agree with you both smile I'll just ignore the negative and do my best.

YAY!  The positive people got your back! wink

Great! You can still do very well on Hubpages without ever visiting the forums or commenting. I had to step back for about two years o.O lol But now that the incomes back up (by a considerable amount) it doesn't make sense to stay away haha

Just rise above it and stay with us. Glad you are motivated to hang in here, Cardisa.

23. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I am happy that we are having a new contest, and especially glad that it is free and open for us to choose our own topic.  This will get more high quality articles on HubPages, and hopefully help us all increase revenue as the site continues to get better and better! Winning the contest would be a bonus.

Just one question.  Are the weekly winners going to be the daily winners plus a few others, or will they be drawn from the  original pool of the top 10 articles of each day, or some other way?  I hope it is the top 10 so that more people get a chance to win.

1. Robin profile image86

Great question!  The weekly winners will be a random drawing from the top ten Hubs of the week.  The Hubs could be daily winners, but they don't have to be.  smile

24. paradigmsearch profile image60

Alas. I was industriously working on my contest hub, and I suddenly realized I don't have a chance.

It was my subconscious memory of previous contest(s) that led me astray. In at least one of those contests, half the hubs were picked on merit, the other half were picked based on luck.

Such is not the case this time. In order to reach the luck stage, the hub must first be picked by a human as one of the top 10.

My hub is guaranteed to not be picked.

Why so?

Cuz it's a narrow-niche, 99.99%-of-the-world-population-won't-care, boring, minimal word count, 3-picture, no-other-bells-and-whistles  hub.

It's guaranteed there will be more than 10 other hubs that will have and be: of broad, general interest; 1000+ words; pictures coming out of its ears; videos; polls; maps; and soft music playing in the background.

So, why am I going to go ahead and publish it?

Because it's a worker hub. It will lay dormant for 6 months. And then it will earn me an extra 25 cents to 75 cents a month from then to the day I die. I'm fine with that. big_smile

lol lol, well darn, I forgot the soft music...off to find a suitable one to play in the background...no wait, not that sort of hub, darn it!

You rock, Paradigm!!  It's not always about the winning.  I'm probably going to enter a hub with a lead photo that rocks (it's a cute puppy....you can't go wrong with a cute puppy...), a poll, 1000 plus words, a video of a puppy, and even music (with the video).  The only issues?  The music isn't soft.  It's "Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees.  And, I have no map.  I guess I'm doomed without the soft music and map, but I'll enter anyway!!!  Maybe the puppy pics will push me over the edge. wink

1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

Why not include a map showing where Clarksville is? It'd be relevent. Just a thought smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

And schedules. Don't forget the train schedules. You can put them in a table.

Hahaha!!!  The article has nothing to do with the Monkees or the song.  It's about dog agility, new genetic research and agility puppies.  I've included a video of my own baby puppy training in puppy agility, and the music that goes with the video is "Last Train to Clarkesville."  If I included a map to Clarkesville, readers would get REALLY confused. big_smile

But thank you guys for the ideas, though.  That is really sweet of both of you to take the time to do.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

I, personally, plan on entering a hub about an exceptional obscure medical condition, complete with graphic pictures of said condition and lots of complex medical terminology thrown in randomly. I will probably give herbal remedies for it's treatment. It will have lots of links and an amazon capsule selling a book about it to that  .013% of the population that get it.

Sounds better than a pile of doggy poo.

Yes ! Go with the puppy -- it's a shoe-in.

25. snakeslane profile image79
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

That's the spirit!

It's what I do.

26. janshares profile image93

I haven't even started yet, not a word or title. I hope I find the time. I need to go and start typing and see what comes. Happy writing everyone and good luck!

27. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Is it time yet?

It's 9:25am EST and I still have nothing. sad

When you say nothing you mean no ideas for a hub or no finished hub?

Half-baked ideas, nothing written down yet. My problem is time. I was up late until about 3am looking for images to inspire my ideas and couldn't find anything. I'll come up with something but time constraints may prevent it from being "stellar." I need to let go of expectations and just make a hub.

Stop thinking about it so hard. Just jot down the points you want to make. Tot them down in sequence if possible and then start writing on the first point. I also suggest using one of the templates and each time you complete a point insert it into one of the available capsules. I think the empty capsules will motivate you to find more info to fill them.

Okay. I usually write the entire hub in Word, print out a copy, and re-write the entire thing as I edit and add images. Maybe it's time to redo my process because it looks like this method is where I lose a lot of time. I guess it has worked well when I'm not under time constraints at my own pace. But a challenge requires new methods. Thank you, Cardisa. I will try.

Yes, use word, that's what I do, but I never wait until the entire article is finished before filling the capsules.

Good luck!

2. janshares profile image93

Published a hub, 1:57am EST. So tired, going to bed now.

So glad you finally did, but don;t worry, you have a whole month to publish hubs!

Come on, Jan, one more. You can do it. We are cheering for you.

Yes, Phyllis and Cardisa, now that it's extended, I will be submitting more. I can start working on those that I jotted down outlines for without so much pressure to finish this weekend. It wasn't happening, hmm now I have time smile.

I've got one up!!!  I had it sitting around while I decided whether to publish it or not.  It's a bit controversial for my niche market.

Janshares, I've read your work.  You're a great writer, so anything you write will be stellar!!!  Just do it!!

agiliymatch, just seeing this. Thanks for your encouraging words. You and Cardisa were right. Once I stopped thinking about not having enough time, I just did it! And I made the top ten!

That is so awesome, Jan. Well done !

28. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

My latest one is funny but a bit disgusting. I'm not sure it would be a valid competition entry due to its nature...but I enjoyed writing it to help grow the Hubpot!

29. merej99 profile image74
    merej99posted 10 years ago

I've got one half finished and ideas for 2 more...my problem is TIME.  Ah well - I've got a paid project that's due before I can finish my own work/hobby/project.  Mama's got bills to pay!  lol  Good luck everyone!  Let's build that pot! smile

30. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years ago

I published a hub for the challenge! This is the first day in a while I've only published one in a day though. It feels rather strange. There's a slim chance I might wind up with a second hub ready to go today, but I'm considering saving it for tomorrow as I think it's going to be very good!

That is awesome! I would save the 2nd one for tomorrow.
      I'm still working on my other writing job and keep visiting the forums here.  Ah, procrastination blows - but I can't seem to help myself.  LOL

I published five in one day recently, and they aren't terrible hubs, either. All of my hubs are at least 700 words long (and usually twice that) and media-rich. It could be said that I have too much time on my hands haha

31. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Alright, I think I have a question.

Is this challenge/contest good for brand-new accounts as well? If I publish the first hub on a new account, will it qualify if there aren't five hubs on the account which have passed the QAP?

I'm holding a hub overnight until I have the answer to this question so that I know whether it's worth it to publish it tomorrow. It's a good one!

The rules just state that "Qualifying Hubbers must be enrolled in the HubPages Earnings Program." So, as long as your new account is signed up for that, it qualifies, but it has to be featured.  Are Hubs on new accounts featured before there are five Hubs on the new account? Yes, if they pass QAP.

But, only one Hub from all of your accounts can be entered, and that is based upon the first Hub published on a day: "Hubbers can only have one Featured Hub per day that counts toward the contest across all of their HubPages accounts."

Thank you, that answers my question! I'll finish writing the hubs I'm going to do for today and then decide which one to publish first. The one I wrote last night and haven't published yet is an important hub with a strong and important message for pet owners, so I'm hopeful that it will make it into that top 10!

32. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I wonder where we can view the winners?

1. Robin profile image86

Hi Susanne!  We will make a daily blog post with the top 10 Hubs of the day as well as the winner (chosen using random.org from those top 10).  We are going through the Hubs now.  It's so difficult to choose 10; you all did a fantastic job!  Yesterday there were 180 Featured Hubs!  Not bad!  I will have the blog post out before 2pm PT.  smile

I'm confused about the time. Not sure if my hub was published before or after the start time. I'm seeing it's only 11:30 PT in LA  while it's 2:30 EST in Jamaica.

1. Robin profile image86

Your Hub on getting a Food Science degree was published yesterday and counted toward yesterday's contest.  smile  It was a great Hub!

Thanks Robin. Was afraid I was too early...lol

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good stuff, sounds like there was quite a pot!

33. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

My newsletter shows 25 new hubs written by Hubbers I am following.  The contest is working! Got to get mine written!

34. paradigmsearch profile image60

I will be submitting mine on Friday. If anyone else submits a hub on Friday, I will put a contract out on them.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since the pot grows with each featured published hub, you aren't going to win very much if you're the only one publishing.  Half the pot would be 12 and a half cents, and they are going to figure out how to give you your half cent.

I've put in a requisition in the religion forums. The Grand Prize will be a lock.

Ah, but at least it would be an absolutely guaranteed twelve and a half cents! smile

I am guessing you would lose that half cent, so it might not be worth it.

You should be hoping for more posts to be made the day that you post your hub! The more hubs there are, the bigger the pot will be for you to win. If 200 people enter the pot, for example, the pot will be $50. You'll win half of that, and therefore $25 dollars. This is what Hubpages' goal is.

But let's say that 500 hubs are published on the day that you publish. That brings the pot up to $125 and half of that (what you'd win) is now $62.50. The more hubs published, the better for the winner!

I publish at least one hub a day on most days. Some days I publish up to five in a single day (usually on different accounts and almost never on this account). This will hopefully help to build the pot for /anyone/ who wins. I just hope that it's me wink

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I also meant to say that I'll definitely be publishing on Friday because I publish every day.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

OMGosh ! I forgot and published one. Sorry Paradigmsearch. Please do not send Frank out after me.

35. Froggy213 profile image64
    Froggy213posted 10 years ago

Even with my conspiracy thoughts, I am still participating. I have done one each day thus far, and am about to work on tomorrow's hub.

Guess I will get a hit put out on me, but just remember the movie "Rambo"? Enough said--LOL

Good for you Froggy! You can't win if you don't play!

36. trusouldj profile image81
    trusouldjposted 10 years ago

I know, right?  I could use that 12 bits. smile

37. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 10 years ago

Check out the Blog Post for yesterday's winner!!  Congratulations to everyone for creating such amazing work!

Wow, I'm on the list! I can't believe it. Thanks Judges.

Congrats to the top 10 and Virgina Lynne smile

Me too! I made it onto the list too! Wow. This has been a heck of a day for me. I'm near tears. Hub of the Day and I made the list!

Congrats both ways!

Congrats Becki. Near to tears? That's really nice. Writing can be a hard and somewhat lonely slog and sometimes when precious few people visit the work and appreciate the effort, it can be a bit soul destroying.

So the good moments are all the better for it, and one thing about competitions and 'Hubs of the Day' is that they can provide a congratulatory pat on the back and a message of support from the staff and other writers. Glad you've embraced the competition, and glad you've had such a good result! Now wipe the tears and write the next one. Alun.

2. sallybea profile image93

Congratulations to all the winners - Cardisa - so pleased for you.

Thanks Sally. When I saw the other hubs I thought for sure mine would lost in the other 170 that didn't make the top 10. I am so honored. smile

1. LCDWriter profile image91
            LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Cardisa.  I think the first day of the contest was a success!

Thanks and I think it was as well. I haven't completed my second hub yet. Got to to finish a novella for a client but it was fun writing hubs again. I'll probably enter two ore before the week runs out.

Hi Cardisa, congratulations! I knew you'd make the top 10 when I read your hub yesterday, a no-brainer. smile Your suggestions yesterday were very helpful, I jotted down a format for two hubs and wrote a poem. Still quite busy but may pull an all-nighter to get one done. But if I don't, it's cool. But I will least add to the HubPot by getting something published before the contest is over. Happy hubbing!

I was looking forward to you finishing up one today but don't rush, take your time. It will come. Thanks for the feedback. smile

Good job, Cardisa. Well done and congratulations.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

After reading some of your comments in this forum Cardisa, and particularly about issues regarding negativity and other feelings in the past, I was particularly glad to see you made the Top 10 list. I haven't had the chance to take a look at any of the other hubs on the list yet (too busy trying to finish off a second entry of my own) but will do so in due course. Best wishes and hope you continue to write on HubPages and maybe put a few more entries into the competition, with even more success!

Thanks Greensleeves. I entered the contest to challenge myself to write again. I am glad I didn't win this first challenge, I know it sounds silly, but based on some people's comments about staff picking favorites, they might think it was biased....lol

I read a few of the other hubs and trust me, they were awesome!

Congrats to all of the winners!!!!  Some great hubs there with LOTS of work involved in them.  Wow!!

38. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Just published a new Hub. I'm in!!

39. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I got a hub published for today, too! It's on a new account so I'd be so excited to see it make the list for tomorrow. This has been so much fun! The incentives are fantastic. Thank you so much Hubpages Staff!

40. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Congrats to all who were chosen, and to Virginia Lynn on winning!

41. snakeslane profile image79
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

Good work people, enjoy the moment! As I shuffle away from this thread with Hub Envy...hmm

42. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Agggh...I'm not going to make it to publish a hub today!  My in-queue ones require additional research for which I don't have time, due to a meeting we have to attend, and my next-up ready-to-roll are waiting on more photos, which I cannot take before I get to the next stage of the project! sad

43. gypsumgirl profile image73
    gypsumgirlposted 10 years ago

How do we know if our hub was even considered?  I submitted one yesterday at around 5:30pm Mountain Time on Monday, February 24th  and it is not yet marked as "featured" on my page.  It has been stuck on "pending" since then.  I'm afraid it was overlooked and never considered.

It is difficult to have faith in a competition when I'm not even sure anyone saw my Hub.  I submitted another Hub for today, before noon Mountain Time.  I wonder if it will get lost in the shuffle as well.

It would be nice to at least know whether or not anyone even read my Hub, making me lose all motivation and not want to write anymore this week.

Hi, gypsumgirl,
      You may have published too late in the day.  Hub Pages is in the Pacific Time zone, so 5:30 your time is 4:30 our time, and could be too close to "quitting time" for assessments to be made. 
      That said, I'm not entirely sure that QAP is human-driven; it may be automated.  Even so, the automaton would need to be finished with it in order for humans to choose the 10 best, and from those,  which to choose as daily winner.
      Since the QAP "can" take up to 24 hours,  you'd probably be wise to try for an earlier in the day publishing time.
      Best wishes!

1. gypsumgirl profile image73
        gypsumgirlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy, I understand your explanation about the time zones and HP being in the west coast, however, according to the competition guidelines,

TIMING
        Hub entries may first be submitted Monday, February 24th at 12:01am, Midnight (PT)
        The final deadline for the contest is Sunday, March 2nd at 11:59pm (PT)
        Daily deadlines begin at 12:01am (PT) and end the following day at 11:59pm (PT)
        Prize winners will be announced the following day at 2:00pm (PT). Saturday, Sunday, and the Grand Prize winners will be announced on Monday, March 3rd at 2:00pm (PT)

If you look at the "daily deadlines" it is actually until 11:59pm (PT) so the 5:30pm submission should have been well within the timeframe to be considered.

Ok, you're right.  My bad.  I did read that, but had forgotten.  Chalk it up to a "senior moment."

No worries...I'm just trying to figure this thing out and I'm getting more and more frustrated by the second.

How on earth does anyone email a HubPages team member?  There's nowhere to submit a question.  I tried looking in the Forum and Help sections and there was no link or information.  Can't even notify anyone that my Hubs are being ignored.

team   @hubpages.com  (without the spaces)

Thanks!  I have learned so much from you today, Writer Fox!  You rock!!

Go get 'em!  I'm on your side!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Yeah..there is a link, but any time I want to e-mail the team, I have to hunt and hunt.  They don't make it easy to find; it's pretty buried behind the FAQ's and such....I should write it down LOL

You can also contact HP staff here:
                  http://hubpages.com/email/help/

2. gypsumgirl profile image73

Or you at least know that you can find the address from this thread in the future rather than digging through FAQs.

2. Writer Fox profile image30

The Hub you published 22 hours ago is still not featured.  That means that it probably didn't pass the QAP.  To be entered in the contest, the Hub must be featured. The Hub you published four hours ago isn't featured either.  I looked at both of those Hubs and couldn't see anything which would prevent them from being featured.  Usually it only takes three hours for the featuring process.  Send an email to the team and ask them what happened.

WF--how do you tell if someone else's hub is or is not featured?  The information is visible to us, in our list of hubs on our account page, but I've never seen any such indication on another's actual hub.
        ?????????????????

I think you can check anyone's activity and see unfeatured but published hubs that way.

Oh, ok...thanks.
            Hmm...I just looked, at both hers and my own, and I'm not seeing any such indication.  I see only numbers indicating how many comments are on a given hub....nothing says "featured."  (And a very high percentage of mine are featured...)

2. Writer Fox profile image30

Go to the Hub and right click on your mouse.  Choose 'View Source' or 'Page Source.'
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8771232_f248.jpg

When the code screen opens, do Ctrl (Control) F (for Find). A little search box will pop up (either at the top or the bottom of your screen, depending upon the browser you use). Type in: NoIndex.  If those words are found on the Hub, the Hub is not featured.  "NoIndex" tells search engines not to crawl the page.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8771221_f520.jpg

On your personal Profile (if you have it set up just to show your featured Hubs) when your newly published Hub is featured, it will appear as the most recently published Hub on your Profile page.

Well, goodness--no wonder I didn't see it!  It's not a straightforward publicly visible notation.  You have to know "behind the scenes techie-stuff" to figure it out.  And as a non-techie, that leaves me out.  lol
            Thanks for the instructions!

You're funny and I'm not a techie.  Anyway, it only takes a few seconds to check and you know how to do it now!

2. gypsumgirl profile image73

Thank you for the clarification, LCDWriter.  I appreciate your thoughts and will contact the team.

(I'm WriterFox)

I whole-heartedly apologize.  Was hurrying and with so many replies within seconds of each other, I confused myself.  Sorry!!

No problem at all.  I'd be much more than flustered if those two great Hubs were mine!

Are you quite sure about that? I thought it was Writer Fox with a space in there. LOL just funnin' with ya.

Humans are like that.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8778371_f248.jpg
              Caption:  Funny Human

cool

44. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

If you guys haven't been watching the feed or checking out the new hubs coming out today, you should really take a look...

There are some AMAZING hubs coming through this morning... and I do mean AMAZING. (I don't give complements very often).

I actually feel bad for the judges, I think they are in for a tough day smile

1. Robin profile image86

You are so right, Melissa!  I think this is one of the best contests we have done.  The quality has been amazing; our job of choosing the top 10 is extremely difficult!  It makes me proud to be part of this community.  Well done, Everyone!  smile

Thank you so much. I get the feeling that because I publish 2-5 times a day people think I'm churning out garbage, but I made it into the top 10 yesterday. I've published one hub today so far and hope to publish two more before the day is over. It feels good to know that others feel that what's coming out is high quality.

If contests like this push users to create higher-quality hubs, then I'm all for that!

This contest is really great. It feels different from all the other ones. As Robin said, this is probably the best contest HP ever has. The quality of the hubs are different/better than before and the winners will be very deserving. The other contests were not of the same caliber.

45. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 10 years ago

Another tough day of judging!  Find out the results in our  blog post!

Congrats to everyone who was selected for the second day! Off to go read some hubs now!

Kudos to all!  WTG!!

46. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years ago

Congratulations to all those selected for the top 10 on the 2nd day of the HubPot Challenge. This time I only recognised 2 or 3 of the names, and all were different to Day One, which suggests that it's not just the same few people entering quality hubs each time - a large number of different people are entering this competition with well written hubs, and that can only be good for the site.

I've just put in my 3rd hub in three days and I think that's the first time I've ever done three in three days. Sadly - no more though - there's no way I can possibly get another one done before next week!

So best wishes to those who are still to enter. Let's maintain the standard.

Thanks for the kind words GH. We are indeed getting tons of great entries. We've had a tough time choosing only 10 Hubs each day-- so many have impressed us! It's so amazing to see what the HP Community can do. smile

47. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I have one in for Day 3 too! (: And I'm working on a second and third (simultaneously) today to help build the pot up!

1. Robin profile image86

Just a reminder, only one of your Featured Hubs from all of your accounts will count toward the pot each day.  You're welcome to publish as many as you want;  I didn't want you to be mislead.  Also, it's in your best interest to publish your very best Hub first because that is the one that is entered in the contest.  smile

1. spartucusjones profile image89
        spartucusjonesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just want to clarify to make sure that I understand this properly. Are we allowed to enter one hub each day or is it just one for the entire contest? My understanding is each day my first hub for that day will be entered, I just want to make sure that I got it right.

You're right; it's one Hub per day: "Hubbers can only have one Featured Hub per day that counts toward the contest across all of their HubPages accounts.  The Hub that counts toward the contest is the first Hub published that day, so be sure that the first one you publish each day is your very best."

2. Robin profile image86

Writer Fox is correct.  One Hub per day will count toward the contest, but you are free to publish as many as you would like.  smile

1. spartucusjones profile image89
            spartucusjonesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I figured as much, but just making sure that I wasn't having any reading comprehension issues.

Yes, I published today the linked pair I've been working on, and which I was unable to finish in time for yesterday or Tuesday.
            I did make sure to publish first the one I thought would be better material for the contest.  wink
            However, I hope there is not a timing penalty for having to go back in and edit each after publication, in order to capture the URLs to link to each other....

1. Robin profile image86

There isn't a timing penalty, but I would wait until your Hub is no longer pending to be Featured before you edit.  Once it is Featured, you should be fine to edit.  smile  Congrats on writing a couple of Hub, Lizzy!

oops--too late...I had already done the edit when I asked the question.  sad  I kind of had to, because each article had a stated referral to the other..."check out my linked article...."  Which is why I had to publish them both today, as well.  ...You don't want to say there is a link, and then have it not be there..that doesn't help your credibility. wink

1. Robin profile image86

It looks like it is Featured, so you are fine.  We give the Hubs until 2:00pm PT the following day to become Featured.  When you edit your Hub while it's pending, sometimes becoming Featured can take a bit longer.  smile

Then I got lucky--because I did that edit the moment the second one went live...so yes, both were still "pending."  LOL  (Whew!)  wink

Yup, totally aware of that, Robin! For the most part I'm writing them all and then choosing which one to publish first so that one will count, though in some cases it's just planning and then writing the one I want to count and publishing it first (:

I'm on a schedule (trying to do 30 hubs every month), otherwise I'd save them up a bit differently. It might change once this rolls over into March.

48. Global-Chica profile image90
    Global-Chicaposted 10 years ago

I'm so excited about this contest!  I have very little free time but have a hub I've been working on for the past month and finally finished it and published it.  Best of luck to everyone!

49. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Haven't seen any updates on this today. The challenge is still active, right?

I though I was the only one checking every few seconds...lol

lol   Me, too.

2. merej99 profile image74

I've been peeking too.  LOL I had to stop hitting the F5 and concentrated on my next submission!  I'm so pleased with my new hub - whether it gets picked or not.

I know mine wont get picked because it's a silly hub, but am anxious to see the top ten. Am working on some good ones. I can't believe I am writing hubs again...lol

Same here! I mean, not that I wrote a "silly" hub but that I'm anxious to see the top ten. I'm not sure they'll choose the same hubber twice during the week for the top ten -- though one can hope haha. I thin the one I published today was pretty darned good.

If the hub is great they'll chose it whether you've been in the top ten before or not. Staff is pretty fair and if they choose your hub it's because it's good. I know some people think badly of the staff here but I think they are wrong. I know I'm going to get criticized for sticking up for staff..lol

Staff doesn't bother me. I was just thinking that it might not seem fair for the same handful of people to continually get selected to draw from. The hub I submitted on Tuesday was fantastic and relevant but wasn't selected. They have a lot to choose from most days as well.

That being said, almost everything showing in my feeds today has been forum. I'm not seeing as many questions or hubs being published, so it could possibly just be a slow day. I published two hubs today. Just hope I'm not the only one haha.

Today's hubs will be assessed tomorrow. It's yesterday's hubs that the winners will be picked from.

Oh, I know! I publish daily though. (: I published yesterday too.

2. susi10 profile image96
                susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I published one today as well, I hope it will be picked. If today was a slow day, there won't be as much in the HubPot. Oh well. We'll see tomorrow, the results will speak for themselves. Can't wait! smile

I've got an idea for one that I would like to post tomorrow.  That's going to be my silly one but I've still got A LOT of work and research to do before I even start writing.  I'm getting smart thanks to you guys!  Working in Word then posting.  It make so much more sense. smile

3. Robin profile image86

It's coming.  Check back in 15 minutes!

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know, Robin!

1. Robin profile image86

The blog post is out!  smile

Wow!  Just read the post!  That's big news.

What does that do in terms of the weekly hubpot?   Will it be given out at the end of each week or accumulate until the end of next month?

Thanks for all the work you and the staff are doing!  It's fun and I've been challenging myself to write some different types of writings the past few days.

1. Robin profile image86

There will continue to be a daily and weekly HubPot.  smile

So then there won't be a monthly hubpot, it will just continue the way that it has been with the daily and weekly amounts?

1. Robin profile image86

There isn't a monthly HubPot, just daily and weekly.  smile

Alrighty, that sounds right! Thanks Robin!

Hi Robin!  This thread is getting a little (a lot) long. Would you consider starting a new thread for a weekend overview?

What you could do is start a new thread for each week.

2. Global-Chica profile image90
            Global-Chicaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yay! smile  Awesome that the contest has been extended!  Hope to be able to contribute another article.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85

A whole month? Wow. That's going to be a heck of a challenge. I'll keep right on adding to the pot, of course. This is where always publishing once a day really comes in handy (:

4. merej99 profile image74

WOW!  149 featured hubs!  You guys had A LOT of reading to do.  You sure extending the challenge is a good idea?  LOL

50. Sharkye11 profile image90
    Sharkye11posted 10 years ago

Love that the contest will be extended! That gives those of us with other obligations more breathing space, and ensures that we can all focus on quality. smile

Plus, that is really going to pump up the volume of new hubs on HP too. Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)