jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How can so many people who don't know how to spell get such high points on their

1. Sustainable Sue profile image97
    Sustainable Sueposted 6 years ago

How can so many people who don't know how to spell get such high points on their hubs?

The spelling is so bad on some of them, I can barely read the article ("teh" for "the" . .  repeatedly, throughout the article?) Yet the article has 87 points . . . There should be a rule like that only 3 misspellings are allowed to get higher than 85 and only 1 to get into the 90's.

2. msshandriaball profile image72
    msshandriaballposted 6 years ago

I agree,I have seen other hubs rank lower than they need to be..who controls the ranking ?

3. mattforte profile image92
    mattforteposted 6 years ago

Oh my god. And the grammar on some of them....I excuse the grammar a bit for people who are clearly from another country, but the others...wow. Quite frankly I love finding the poorly written articles specifically to vote them down and do my part to clean the stuff up.
    Ironically enough, my girlfriend is a Lit major trained in editing and publishing....it makes her so angry she wrote a hub about it.

http://lisakoski.hubpages.com/hub/Proof … ow-writers

4. Sustainable Sue profile image97
    Sustainable Sueposted 6 years ago

You know, that's a good idea, Matt. I haven't rated people down so far (well maybe one) but this carelessness likely means they're over-relying on contacts for scores, which is not good for the system. Besides, Hubpages did say they wanted better quality hubs, did they not?

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

why? not everyone has a good education but yet they want to write about things they care about. my spelling and grammar isn't great but at least i try. your analogy is just another case of some trying to keep others down. if you don't like how a hub is wrote, mark it down or just don't read it. not that much to ask.

6. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

The odd typo is fine, as far as I am concerned. What really irks me is "so, like, I was like, and then she was like, ya know?"

7. profile image0
    paxwillposted 6 years ago

Author hubscores and individual article hubscores are completely meaningless and they seem to be mostly impacted by traffic, length, and comments. So if you have a really long article that gets a lot of hits and attracts a lot of comments, it will probably have a high hubscore even if every other word is misspelled.

8. UnnamedHarald profile image96
    UnnamedHaraldposted 6 years ago

A good reason to watch your spelling and grammar is because it might be a factor in whether your article is taken seriously. Spelling and grammar can be improved upon if you care about things like that.

9. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Everyone makes mistakes, but I agree that if someone has clearly not attempted to produce a hub where they check the spelling and the grammar there should be consequences for that.

If I come across a hub that is difficult to read because of this I will click the back button and move on as it can be very frustrating.

Does the time spent on a hub have any effect on the hub's rating?

10. Angel198625 profile image90
    Angel198625posted 5 years ago

I was just reading the comments, and, in regards to the people that are saying you are trying to keep another person down, I wanted to remind you that hub pages has a SPELL CHECK. Just an FYI for you.

Closed to reply