jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)

Surge in spammy comments

1. lewgard profile image59
    lewgardposted 8 years ago

Is anyone else getting a surge in spammy comments in their Hubs?  I seem to be getting at least one or two every day now.  I only get the opportunity to check my comments once a day, and I delete the spammy ones. 

I got a snippy comment from another hubber stating "Wow, you let a spam comment in.  Nice Job" (or the like).  The spammy one was written, then the snippy one - both before I had the chance to read comments.  This made me realize that, even if a comment is neither deleted nor approved, it is still viewable by readers.  Is there a way to make all comments invisible until approved??? If not, is there a way to disable comments?  I don't want readers to be subjected to spammy crap.  As mentioned, I only check comments once a day.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can do either.  The bad news is that you have to do it in the comments capsule on each Hub. 

I look at spam like this - if I'm getting a lot of spam, it means I'm being noticed by search engines, so it's gotta be a good thing in a way.

1. thranax profile image31
        thranaxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Follow the mindless Spam Road?

~thranax~

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pardon?  What I mean is, I'd rather have a lot of traffic with some spam, than low traffic without spam.

I'm beginning to sound like Monty Python....

1. Appletreedeals profile image71
            Appletreedealsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree Marissa, if you are getting spam comments it means they had to find your hub first. So at least it got noticed somewhere

2. JulietduPreez profile image70
      JulietduPreezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I might have got one or two - not recently though. Nothing like on one of my blogs!

2. thranax profile image31
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

Nope, you got to deal with it until you check them I think! Sorry, and no I haven't seen more spam, some have come though but I hunger for good comments and incites on my Hubs!

~thranax~

3. profile image0
    Janettaposted 8 years ago

I don't see why it should matter to anyone whether or not you let a spammy comment through or choose to keep it on your hub. It's your hub, you can delete or keep whichever comments you like. I think after a comment like that, I would keep the spam one and delete the rude hubber wink

1. LVM profile image45
      LVMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think keeping spam comments is a good thing.  I've read somewhere, and I think it's from the staff, that more than 2 links to the same domain, except wikis, will lead to penalizing your score.  If a spammer spams several of your hubs and all the links point to his website, I think you're in trouble.

1. Appletreedeals profile image71
        Appletreedealsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Greetings LVM, Don't need to keep the comments, wasn't what I meant. Just pointing out that they have to click on hub before they can spam comment it. Just means someone is finding it.

4. forlan profile image59
    forlanposted 8 years ago

It means your hubs is great and they want spam you. Unfortunately, hubages does not provide anti spam for our hubs

5. LVM profile image45
    LVMposted 8 years ago

I have this one hub currently featured on Popular Topics under Technology, http://hubpages.com/hub/makemoneyonlinecourse

It has been spammed a lot.  I have deleted more than five comment spams.

6. lewgard profile image59

Thanks, all.  I can handle the spammy comments with a simple delete and chalk it up as stupidness. It's the unnecessary rude Hubber's comment that slightly ticked me.  Guess he hasn't had to deal with spamm ???  Oh well...I'll have to learn to be less sensitive as this comes with the territory.

Good point about the article being noticed by the SE's, measured (in a way) by the amount of spam.

7. lewgard profile image59

Marisa:  Thank you.  You are absolutely correct.  In the comments capsule for the hub, I clicked the edit button, then selected the "comments must be approved before they appear" option.

8. DonnaCSmith profile image86
    DonnaCSmithposted 8 years ago

I had four one day that were full of 4-letter words.

Silly me, I didn't realize they could be viewed before I approved or deleted them. I am glad you asked your question. I am always learning something new through the forums.

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 8 years ago

I just had a comment from someone who was using the same name as my one first cousin ,unregistered. I approved it, but thought it odd. I traced the IP to Bellsouth.net in KY. I reported it then as spam and deleted the comment. It was about NBCCM or something to that affect, to do with credit card debt.

10. frogdropping profile image86
    frogdroppingposted 8 years ago

I get spam. Sometimes I don't know they're there - some of it doesn't show up in the comments list when you log in. I honestly don't mind external spam. If it's not relevant or ridiculous, I delete it. It's the hubber ones that tick me off - the 'nice hub, read mine' and they link back to one of theirs. They haven't read mine - they just found a similar topic and dropped theirs off.

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 8 years ago

I hate that too froggy.

1. frogdropping profile image86
      frogdroppingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ralwus it's just so rude. I'll give anyone a hand, leg-up or whatever but you know, there's something called manners. I usually have a quick check on their hubtivity - and they've always been running round the block, doing the same on similar hubs. Naughty hmm

12. Carol the Writer profile image76
    Carol the Writerposted 8 years ago

I thought the comments were not visible to people until approved. I guess I will have to check more often. Thanks for making me aware of that! - Carol

13. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 8 years ago

I got fan mail today that said:

'you have a nice hub' ...I had to look behind me to  make sure no one was staring at my ass

The marketers are acoming and they are trying to inflate their hubscores

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've had several of those too.

there's also heaps of them on my blog - all thankfully caught by Akismet.

working