jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What most appeals to you in a hubbers writing style?

1. Ana Teixeira profile image83
    Ana Teixeiraposted 6 years ago

What most appeals to you in a hubbers writing style?

We all have great ideas for hubs, but not all of us manage to put those ideas into writing the same way.. what makes "a good hub" ?

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Someone who adds some wit and insight to a Hub.  There are usually many sources on the Internet of the same topic covered by a Hub.  If a Hub can add some additional insight that is not widely available, and when appropriate, write in a witty way, I find that enjoyable and worthwhile to read.

3. imichelle profile image75
    imichelleposted 6 years ago

I know this goes against traditional advice here, but I prefer hubs that are succinct and to the point.  While being thorough on a topic is good, and pictures are good, adding a lot of extra text just to get the word count up makes me stop reading it.

4. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Maybe, for me, it's more a matter of not noticing any writing style at all; and instead, just "being involved" with what's being said.  "Writing style" can sometimes be like make-up:  It's OK that people see that it's there, but it's not supposed to be the first thing people notice about the wearer.   smile Also, it's supposed to be skillfully applied.

Formula writing-style, "Internet-writing" style, copycat writing style (copying a tone and style that's very common among one kind of writer or another) - these are all examples, on the other hand, of "no writing style" of the author's own.  I'd compare these to either no make-up or a bad make-up job.  They're not all always awful.  Sometimes they're only mediocre as far as writing goes.  Still, these aren't particularly the kind of writing that appeals to me, as a reader.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I particularly enjoy a conversational style or tone to an article.  Reading an informational hub can be tedious or boring.  I don't want to feel like I am reading a textbook.  I really like just a little humor to make the subject matter snap.

6. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

With the writing style, for me, it's clarity and getting to the point without loosing any important information. I tend to be put off by any kind of writing that takes ages to make the point and/or repeats the same issues. I think as well that a bit of humour, done well, can add a great deal of enjoyment to a hub. Having said all this, if the topic is a very interesting one with good facts and new information, then I would tend to keep reading despite the fact that the writing style might not be what I enjoy the most.

7. vocalcoach profile image97
    vocalcoachposted 5 years ago

I always enjoy a bit of humor, if appropriate to the subject. It adds a personal touch to the content and I continue reading, looking for more wit along the way.

For me, if the hub flows with clarity and "speaks to me", I like that so much.

I like to feel as though the hub I'm reading was written for me. I'm either more knowledged, more inspired, more motivated and even a better person for having read a particular hub.