jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are our comments protected?

1. Vinaya Ghimire profile image89
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

Are our comments protected?

Sometimes after commenting on someone’s hub, an idea clicks, and I elaborate my comment into a story, poem or article. Our Hubs are copyrights protected, what about comments?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, the person leaving the comment retains copyright - so can use the comment elsewhere - but also grants the author the right to use the comment indefinitely. Ideas are never copyright protected, as a matter of law.

3. Hubpage Gal profile image59
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

Good question.  If comments become a hubpage article, there is the option to publish the article for earning from Google Adsense.  Any printed information is considered to be copyrighted upon publication and the author has exclusive ownership of the contents.  Comments are usually not plagiarized or used on other websites for earnings  because there is no monetary advantage to using someone else's opinions.

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I am not sure about that. But I do know that if we try to make a hub out of a poem we leave on someone's hub, we can be hit with a duplication warning on HP as this is part of HP's policy. That has happened to people.

working