Commenting. When or is it EVER coming back?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image93
    Deb Vesco Robertsposted 3 years ago

Will readers ever be able to post comments on our articles ever again? This is so frustrating!

2. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 3 years ago

The promise during the winter was sometime in June.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

I hope thils become a reality soon, come June.

4. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

June can’t come soon enough, neither can comments. It is frustrating that it has taken so long.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just a little wait and see. And bingo, June and the comment box...?

5. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 3 years ago

The only way right now is if the author repost into news feed by going to author view.
    Then you can post a comment & it will go back on news feed.
    Then we can comment.

Yes, Brenda. We sure do know that. But here we're discussing the normal comment box before Google took it away.                                       Have you notice that if you miss your followers latest articles, and it's move to say a niche site, or discover, you can still read it via, authors view. But you can't make a comment, right?                                When SamarthaCubbison was moderating the isrue while she was here a promise was given. And we're begging it become a reality come June.

6. Keira Anand profile image76
    Keira Anandposted 3 years ago

Exactly, and although I am new here, it's really frustrating since I cannot praise good articles.

Kaira, you still can. Just log in to your feed or time line.                                                   Don't you see articles, or stories of those you follow? Read and comment before hubpage editor move same to discover.com or to a niche site.

7. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

I have enjoyed the break from spending the first 30 minutes of every day responding to comments. Personally, I don't care if they ever come back.

But, from a technical viewpoint, I do think it would be good to have them back. Interaction with readers is important. When you write articles to help people it would be great to actually have a way of communicating with the people you are trying to help.

Thing is, there are several much more important issues that need to be addressed as well. If HP isn't working on those, it seems unlikely comments would be a priority.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Eric. Comments have long been a pain in the butt for me. Time consuming and most of them didn't contain much of value. Most of mine either simply thank me for providing info (I do a lot of study helpers), or attack me for being a cat-hater (I'm not, but I wrote a disadvantages of being a cat owner article, which people like to vent at).

I kind of gave up replying to comments some time ago as it took up a lot of time and there was a lot of repetition. I just okay comments, unless they're spam, juvenile, nonsensical, or obnoxious cursing etc. The only ones I really value are where they point out problems that I need to look at.

I think comments can contribute to Google seeing articles as being updated? So they maybe do have some value in that respect.

Perhaps I should consider going back to replying to commenters, if and when comments reappear, but most of the stuff people were saying didn't even seem to merit a reply. Plus most professional publications don't have the authors replying to all the comments. I'm not convinced it's a good look.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I generally just okay comments without responding unless they ask me a question or come from an HP community member.

I think the comments can be helpful because they expand the discussion that started in the article. When people ask valid questions and we can provide answers it makes our article more valuable as a resource.

I do see what you mean about professional publications as well. Even when they allow comments, the author doesn't typically get tangled up in the discussion.

I know people want the comments back so they can be more social on HP but the more I think about it the more I'm dreading it. There is possibly an upside, but they do take up a heck of a lot of time.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think that some of the people who really miss the comments are people who communicate with other hubbers via the comments. They sometimes have regular commenters and have developed a social relationship to a greater or lesser extent.

Most of my commenters are via Google and any relationship is fleeting. Judging by the questions they ask, some of them don't even bother to read the article, or notice that their question has been previously answered, they just want a quick answer. Or to vent or waste time.

I am generally wary of getting into discussions, though I am happy for commenters to discuss issues with each other. Other commenters do add value to the article by bringing up things that I'd not thought of, and sometimes I will add their input/question to the main article. If they were all like that, I wouldn't be complaining. smile

My heart often used to sag each morning when I saw how many comments I had. Much of it was juvenile stuff from bored teens, but I still had to look at it before rejecting. It felt like a daily timewaster, like you say. I did appreciate the thought-out opinions and comments, but they were a minority.

I can agree with both  Erik and PaulGoodMan.                        Comments are valuable though they have a down side.                                                  If it's all that bad, why do many if not the majority wants it back?                                    Seriously, one writer said he like to commended authors for work well done. Others in an earlier thread before this view the comment icon as a sort of traffic generating tool, like the Q & A button, which is forever gone.                          Honestly, the best thing about comment is this. No one here likes it to be done away with.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

This your insight is well noted.

2. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image93
        Deb Vesco Robertsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Commenting from readers outside of HP is what I want the ability to have. That interaction helps drive traffic which increases what little revenue we make here as writers. We can’t improve our work or interact with our readers if we can’t accept comments. It’s not like there’s a steady stream of comments to respond to daily, if any most days, and not all comments require a response.

8. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Well, the double H1 issue is fixed, so I am a bit more optimistic that feedback is still being received.

1. EricDockett profile image96

I was wondering about that. That's some good news at least. They also fixed the issue with the link tool that I brought a few weeks ago.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 3 years ago

We are testing comments on a site called MishTalk. We have more moderation capabilities to build, but comments will return.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image88
      Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"... more moderation capabilities..."

*Excited gasps*

Is that a hint that there will be more for us authors to utilize than in the old system for moderating who can comment, or will it be the same system?

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Paul, happy for the good news. But when? Would it be June?                                  When SamarthaCubbison was here, and before she left else where, the issue was discussed and we got the June promise. Let it be.

3. EricDockett profile image96

Hey!

It's Paul!

Hi, Paul!

My HubPages Optimism Meter just shot up to 11!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

4. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image93

I’m so happy to finally hear some news on this. It’s been too long without that capability. I will start writing again once that feature comes back. I share my work in certain groups and I use comments as a means to see if what I write is useful to others and to improve or add to a piece that needs a boost.

10. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 3 years ago

Yes, I know.  It's quite frustrating.
    That's why I said the only way we can comment is if author reposts.

I’m not following what that means exactly?

11. varunsd profile image30
    varunsdposted 3 years ago

Just wanted to know, what is the timeline and criteria for articles to be moved to the discover portal. I see that some of my articles under my account have not been moved to the discover portal and thus the readers still have a chance to add comments.

Why do only some articles get moved to the discover portal? As the comments feature it disabled, it will otherwise be helpful for an author to get an insight on the contributions made to the Hubpages community.

Thanks.

The best thing to do is to improve and update the content of your articles. Much thanks.

12. emge profile image79
    emgeposted 3 years ago

Comments are a wonderful method of communication but sometimes a person or two who is misguided mounts personal attacks and that is a problem.

I delete those. There’s no value in those.

Yes. I do likewise.

13. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image93
    Deb Vesco Robertsposted 2 years ago

I can't believe we're STILL waiting on comments to return. On top of the revenue taking a nose dive two years ago...my patience is wearing thin here.

Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're not the only one experiencing the challenge.

14. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image93
    Deb Vesco Robertsposted 2 years ago

And still no response from the powers that be? Reasons, ETA, why we’re go from making hundreds to under $20? I’m baffled.

Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

That don't mean a thing to Hubpages, as long as she's under the apron string of Maven.

15. Pamela99 profile image87
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

No one is happy with this change. I doubt that Hubpqages will allow comments again. I miss them too!

16. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I am not posting any new hubs until commenting is enabled again. I see it as a litmus test of whether they will and can follow through on their own promises to do things for this site (amongst the dozens of others they acquired).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)