jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is exactly meant by Sandboxed

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

What is exactly meant by Sandboxed

Just a simple question: what is exactly meant when it is said that "you have been sandboxed " by Google.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

The Google sandbox is definitely not a nice place to be. In fact, it is horrible. All your Google traffic dries up overnight, leaving you with few visitors and little earnings. But what exactly is the Google sandbox, and how would you know if you have been affected? read more

3. m0rd0r profile image74
    m0rd0rposted 6 years ago

Google often sandboxes sites that provide small or no value to the users:

Very old sites, that no one maintains get sandboxed.

Spammy sites, centered around one keyword repeated thousands of times too.

Sites that are a security risk or start auto-download viruses on entering get sandboxed and do not show in search until fixed.
    (Additionaly, such sites get a small intro window with "I know the risks" button, that don't allow you into the site)

Sites with copied content get sandboxed very quick
    (Google keeps archive of all sites and knows very well WHEN and WHERE an article came to life first. All others are copies and a subject of sandboxing)

4. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

It's just a temporary penalty that Google imposes for those webmasters or blogs that over-link their site too quickly. In other words over promoting their site with backlinks.

Think of a child being naughty and you put them to play in the sandbox. It's not really punishment but they don't get any candy while doing it and maybe they didn't want to be in the sand box at the time.

5. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago
  6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

It means that Google found a reason to think that you've done something "black hat," and so they've absolutely buried your material in the search engine results pages so that nobody can dig them out of the search results.

It's happened to me, but didn't last any longer than a month to six weeks, it's disturbing that others seem to have had and are having longer stays buried in the sand box.

7. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

Thank you LuisEGonzalez for asking this question.  I just learned something new.  smile

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

The only reason that I can think of is that since my hubs are about photography, Google may see the word photography too often in their eyes. However, on a different note, my views started rising today to over what they were about a month ago.

9. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

When a brand new website is created with a new domain name, Google is not likely to show it highly in its search results.   This is what is meant by Google sandboxing a site.   It sometimes can take a few months of being in the sandbox before Google start showing the site in the search results.  This is so that Google can avoid overnight spammer sites in its search results.