How does the score by your picture work?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. silentnomore profile image61
    silentnomoreposted 12 years ago

How does the score by your picture work?

I understand the higher the score the better, but I do not know what changes my score.  When I started on hubpages last week, my score was under 50.  Today it is 70.  What did I do to raise it so much in such a short amount of time?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6219872_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

You have more followers and you have comments on your hubs, I believe is one of them, and also if more people just read your hubs even when they do not leave a comment.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image59
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Psychologist BF Skinner conducted a clinical study on rats. It will help you understand  the underlying dynamics of your hubscore. Each rat's cage was equipped with a button that dispensed a little food when pushed. The rats quickly learned how to acquire a meal. It became routine. The scientists then set the buttons in half of the rat's cages to dispense food intermittently, and at random. The rats with normal buttons only pushed them when they were hungry. Soon, the rats with modified buttons began to punch their buttons continually. Finally, some even reached a point where they were so obsessed with pushing the button that they would ignore the food when it was dispensed. The unrewarded anticipation became a stronger motivator than the reward itself.

You will find your hubscore fluctuating at random. Be careful that it doesn't induce compulsion . . . you don't want develop a clinical case of "Hubber Frenzy Syndrome".

Welcome to the rat race!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I see that you've been on here five days.  The score you have is good, and about "standard" for anyone who is fairly new but who has put some effort into writing "decent" Hubs.

What, exactly, goes into the author score is a secret because HP doesn't want people knowing how to "game the system" in order to get a high score.  If you haven't done this already, searching for "Hub Score" or "Author Score" will get you more info on scores.  (Or, you can just find it by looking over the "Help" section.)  What we're told, though, is that a number of factors go into it, and how much someone "contributes to the site" is a big part.  (I don't take "contribute to the site" as meaning having five thousand half-baked Hubs, but instead as meaning whether or not someone's contributions on here (in Hubs and to the community) add something to, rather than detract from, the site.)

Anyway, in answer to your specific question:  Most likely, you've just been writing decent stuff and/or contributing to the community in one way or another.  Everyone is different, of course; but in general, a lot of people start out with a low author score and see it rise into the 80's or 90's within a couple of weeks.  (That is if they put in a "decent" effort, rather than do things they believe will raise their score(s), only to discover what they've done will cause it to decrease.)  You're probably just doing what you're supposed to be doing, so it's reflected in your score (because, as I said, it doesn't take long to work up to a good score for most people who put it in a decent effort).  Generally, Hubs, themselves, start with a low score and work their way up as people read them and vote them up, as they get views, any comments, etc. etc.

5. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

Ditto to what Lisa HW said.  The number in the corner of your profile pic WILL go up and down for reasons known only to the elves in the hollow tree behind HP Central. Get used to it and don't worry about it (unless it never goes above 90). Don't try to figure out why or how, just write "engaging" hubs that draw traffic from within and outside HP, visits the hubs of others and comment after reading IF you find them worthy of a comment, make your presence known in forums like Hubbers Hangout, and ask and answer questions in the "Answers" section.  If you do all that, you'll be fine.  Welcome to Hubpages!

6. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

If your hub scores are rising that could be a big part of it. I believe that having high hub scores and participating in the forums, questions and answers as well as hub hopping, commenting, and voting on other peoples hubs, are all part of the hubber score. However, when it comes to the participation part, more is not necessarily better. In other words don't overdo it, or that may be seen as you trying to manipulate the system. If you want to improve your hubber score just try to keep writing good hubs and participate a little each day in a way that feels natural to you.

7. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages! I agree with what LisaHW said.  Also, many beginners find that their score fluctuates wildly at first with no obvious explanation, as you mentioned.  I think this is because when you have few hubs, any traffic increase or decrease (however slight) then becomes very dramatic to whatever method Hubpages uses to calculate your score - thus your score will change a lot. After I was up to about 25 hubs my score tended to 'settle' a bit more... although it still fluctuates within about a 10-point range for me even now, and I've got over 50 hubs and have been here for over a year.  Don't get hung up on your score... lots of beginners get overly focused on the number beside their picture, when really you should be more interested in the amount of daily traffic you are getting.  Enjoy writing and ignore your hubscore entirely if need be, that's what I've done pretty much the whole time I've been on HP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)