It seems Hubpage's own features are causing my hubberscore to lower.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (44 posts)
  1. hotwebideas profile image63
    hotwebideasposted 12 years ago

I am not sure about this and I know there are hundreds of forum posts where people complain that their hubberscores dropping  and they don't know why.

My hubberscore just dropped 4 points in 24 hours after steadily climbing for the last 2 weeks and the key is to determine what I have been doing wrong or differently in the last 48 hours to make this happen. Hubpages does not make that easy at all and does cause a little frustration.

It seems that Hubpages gives us good tools to promote our hubs and they encourage us to use those tools, but then that power can easily get abused and I am not sure which ones are being abused by me personally.

If this happens to you, I assume you need to keep track of what you are doing differently and stop doing it for a while as a test.

As for me personally, the one thing I have been doing differently lately is using the suggested tags on my new hubs, which were suggested by Hubpages itself and maybe I added too many to each hub.

Hubpages even specifies that this is a new feature, but I do not think this new feature is working well at all. It is the one thing causing my hubberscore to drop so now I am trying not to use it at all. I suspect this, but I do not knwo for sure.

Now, I think the suggested tags is a great feature, but it is not that smart. It uses particular phrases in my hubs and most of them do not make any sense. I am simply not adding most of those anyway.

The second thing I have been doing more of lately is adding Amazon capsules to my hubs, but I see everyone doing that on their hubs, so I am not sure if this it is the cause.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you search the forums, you will find plenty of people saying the suggested tags feature is a waste of time. It simply takes words at random out of your hub. And yes, as far as I understand, having too many tags and unrelated tags will lower your score.

On the other hand, unless it sinks really low, your score is fairly meaningless in the overall scheme of things and certainly does not impact your earnings here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As others have said, it's unlikely the change in score has anything to do with something you've done.  Hubscores fluctuate all the time.  My best performing Hub hits 100 regularly, but I've seen it go into the low 90's often, too.   Your Hubberscore is influenced by your Hub scores so it's bound to be affected.

Hubberscore has a lot to do with participation in the site, both the social side of things and writing. I haven't contributed any new Hubs in ages so I've noticed my Hubberscore dropping back (it used to be 100). 

As for the tag tool - it's a good tool.  It's an automated tag finder, so it just goes through your Hub looking for frequently used words.  You have to use our discretion in choosing the relevant ones, but it can sometimes suggest a term you haven't thought of.

And bear in mind - if the tag suggestion tool can't work out what your Hub is about, then Google's robots won't be able to either.  So if you have lots of irrelevant suggested tags and almost no good, relevant ones, you need to review your Hub!

2. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I fail to understand why people keep saying the score is meaningless.

1. When traffic drops.....your score also drops

2. If your hub is voted down....your score lowers

3. If your hubs are not being read (meaning people don't stay long enough on the hub)...score lowers

There might be other factors and yes maybe it does not affect earning..

What about the person who writes not to earn but to improve theri writing for pure pleasure.

The score must mean something, hence it being there. Why HP would have a meaningless Hub or Hubberscore?.......you tell me.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hang around here for three years and you'll figure it out, more or less. It's not all about traffic or Hubs being voted down; it's about participation, whether participation means continually writing quality Hubs or engaging in the HP community or both. I don't know how HP assigns this score, nor does anyone else, but by experience through time you can figure out what you are doing right or wrong.

2. hotwebideas profile image63
      hotwebideasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good points, Cardisa. I am now following you.

3. WriteAngled profile image74

Because some people like all the competitive c__p of scores etc. I really couldn't care less and find the whole concept childish in the extreme, as I do the accolades.

The score is primarily for participating in the social aspects of the site.

I have never derived any benefit from "networking" either in real life or on the Web, so I've stopped bothering to do it actively. I follow the forum here when I feel like a break, not because it impacts on my score.

Right on.

As far as accolades go, I disabled mine from public view a long time ago.

1. WriteAngled profile image74

Ah, didn't know that was possible. Have just done the same!

4. Marisa Wright profile image86

You're absolutely right, Cardisa, if you're talking about individual Hub scores (except that voting down has only a tiny effect). 

The reason we say the scores are meaningless is that most people get things the wrong way round.  They think they need to get a good score first,and that a good score will bring them more traffic and more readers.  Whereas, as you say, the score just tells you that you've already got traffic etc.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my point.

I am not saying  that the score make you a better writer but they do tell you something about your traffic generation and your ranking in a category which is important as new visitors tend to go for the first few pages of the 'hubs' section or the categories section.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

You should be using your Statistics page and Google Analytics to tell you about your traffic - the scores tell you much less than either of those. 

No, actually they don't.  Very few non-HubPages members browse around HubPages or look at the category listings. 90% of your visitors will come directly from Google, Yahoo or Bing search engine results, straight to your individual Hub.

5. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is probably repetitive but only recently has this pissed me off.  Our starting hub scores range from 46 to 52.  We never published without a chance at 50 out the gate.  I noticed its across the board and a little harder to wait the time to break 50 hub score with a 1200 word content and solid topic, all hub is within all violations

I would like to hear from the hub team what possible explanation or benefit this change has to offer.  It is discouraging,and never before a procedure, so what's up Team?

Thank you

Kimberly

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

My author score (and I think a whole lot of people's) goes up and down within a 4/5 point range.  It used to seem more erratic.  These days it seems to stay at one score for a couple/few days before it changes.  I've just thought that one thing involved is traffic.  I'm also under the impression that writing one more new Hubs, that start with a low score and have to work their way up) can immediately cause the author score to drop a point (maybe two if it was headed down anyway).  Just some guesses to offer.

My traffic has gone from good to pitiful post-Panda. Yet, I still get the 100 Hub profile score often, despite not having written a new Hub since April. LOL

4. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

You haven't been here long enough to build a solid profile Hubscore, so don't complain that you're at an 87 when you were at a 91, after only 6 weeks on HP. Actually, you are doing much better than most.

Continue to comment on others' Hubs, participate in the forums, and write good content. The profile Hubscore you want will come, and BTY, you can't measure it by days or weeks or even months. I haven't written anything new here since April, but I keep in touch with the community, and my profile Hubscore is always in the high 90s. It's a long-term investment of your participation.

Thanks, Sally's Trove. Good insight. Am I really doing well compared to others? I am still not understanding why it dropped, regardless of how long I have been here. I still would like to know.

However, you are confusing me. You responded to Lisa HW saying that you have not written a new hub since April and then in this response, you say that you have not written anything new since February. Which is it? lol

lol  Just realized I'd done that and edited the post a few seconds ago. It is since April, not February. Good eagle eye on your part!

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

We'd all like to know, but HP will never reveal its scoring algorithms. You are suffering newb anxieties, same as most of us. Just hang around for a while, do your best, and forget about the scoring. Turn your back to its importance. Write your best and engage...learn from others. And see what happens in a year or two.

I was told by a few people that for 6 weeks and 30+ hubs written, I am doing well, so I will leave it at that. I write a lot of hubs on web design and internet marketing.

Bruce

Right. I told you that, too.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Hubpages author score is irrelevant to your earnings.  I used to regularly have a 94 - 97 score while Misha was three or four points lower than me, but he made an average of a hundred bucks a day sometimes - and I wasn't averaging a hundred pennies a day.

One thing that you have to watch if you ARE interested in maintaining a high author score - is following too many people, if you follow folks, and never look at their hubs, that will certainly lower your author score.

Your first paragraph is on target. Far as I can figure, a 100 Hubber score gets you first page on the Hubbers tab, which will definitely get you more fans/followers, but won't do anything to increase your earnings.

About your second paragraph, I'm not so sure about that. I follow as many Hubbers as follow me but rarely look at most of  those Hubs...and still my Hub profile score is where it is.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks - I know I've got some high score folks that follow me. . . .but never seem to comment or anything, and they keep a 97 - 100 score, but I recall a forum post like this one one time, and somebody on staff jumped in and said something like, "well, you did that to yourself, we only encourage people to follow people that they are genuinely interested in. . . ."  So while I can't argue with you, and wouldn't want to - I'm not sure that they'd say that without it being legit.  Of course I could also be remembering the whole deal incorrectly.

It's not a huge big deal to me (the author score) - but of course I'd prefer mine to be 97 to the current 92!!!!

That is good advice from HP staff, meaning one should follow only those one is interested in, but HP staff have never associated that pattern with profile score. I don't know what "you did...to yourself", but I do doubt that following a lot of folks had an impact on your profile score.

Anyway, I know no HP secrets, I'm just going by experience.

2. hotwebideas profile image63

Wesman Todd Shaw, thanks. I actually do not follow a lot of people without reading their hubs, but for the people I do follow, not only do I read their hubs, I also comment on them. cool

Well good.  One little thing that I noticed when I first started getting really serious about Hubpages was that if I posted a few questions and answered a few questions in the Q and A section - it almost immediately raised my author score.  When I say "immediately" I really mean - the next day my score would be higher.

So ask and answer a few questions in the Q and A section, is my easy advice for someone who's not been here long to raise their score.

Me, I've answered well over a thousand questions, and still sort of enjoy doing that - but now, it hardly seems to work, as I've probably played that bit of the author score rankings out.

Thanks, Wesman Todd Shaw. Yes, I am very heavily involved in the Q&As and they help.

I am also following you now and look forward to great hubs from you.

Bruce

Very kind of you, Bruce!  I have to say that quiz thing you had in that one hub - I've not seen that before, and I thought that that was VERY cool!

6. Cardisa profile image88

My earlier post was referring primarily to the Hubscore not the Author score.

Your Hub score goes up or down because of traffic, votes and how much time readers spend on your hub.

Your Author score goes up or down depending on your involvement in the community.

My question is still..... why the scores if they are useless? I don't need a personal opinion, I need the answer.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Because someone at Hubpages thought it would be fun to get people trying to compete on scores?   

*shrug*

All I know is that the hub score has absolutely no relationship to the income being or not being generated by any of my hubs at any particular time. This is the major parameter of relevance to me on this site.

I also know that people whose opinion I value like the way I write. That is sufficient. I don't need hub scores to tell me that.

Therefore, as far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no rational reason for this scheme.

8. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Every now and then over a short period of time, like 24 hours, my score will swing a lot. It went from a scaore of 86 to a score of 89 then another day it went from 89 to 83.  But 24 hour periods don't really mean anything overall-it's the longterm.  I've only been here two weeks.  But because I've been participating fairly often and publishing hubs fairly regularily, my score hasn't fallen below 75 since it originally passed that mark.  Now if drop out of discussions  and publish nothing, I would expect my mark to go down considerably.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think 100 can indirectly affect earnings if it brings in more traffic.

That's a long stretch, unless those Hubbers who watch Best Hubbers also promote those best Hubbers through backlinking or social networking sites.

I don't think anyone outside the HP community looks at the "Best" Hubbers category.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Hubpages gives us tools; I don't see where they said we should you every single one to the maximum amount possible.  You add some links, some tags, some pictures.  How many?  Enough to make a good hub, and no more.

11. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I have been conducting sorts of an experiment to try to understand HP better. Based on what I have noticed; the number of visitors is the primary factor that will raise or lower your profile score, hub scores and it cycles every 24 hours.

Variants:  No activity on a 24 hour period(no Q&A, no posts, no hub hoping, ...nothing)

Monday:    number of visitors 200, profile score 93
    Tuesday:   number of visitors 168, profile score 89
    Wednesday: number of visitors 228, profile score 93
    Thursday:  Lots of activity (Q&A, posts, hub hoping etc...)
    number of visitors 210, profile score 91
    Friday:    Lots of activity, number of visitors 200,profile score 89

I have done this on several occasions for a week at a time, and the results are always the same.
    The scores are actual , the number of visitors are examples but based on real facts and true variants cool

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did not conduct an experiment but did notice that the Huberscore is link ed to the amount of profile views I received. I agree with you Luis

12. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

The thing you need to be most concerned about is search engine hits that is where the money comes from. Not many hubbers hit ads on others hubs. Your score has no effect on what Google is looking for. They want content rich well written articles with good SEO, and keywords which are relevant to what is being searched for.

I use forums to talk to other hubbers, They have some great ideas which help me write better articles. When you see them which is rarely take other hubbers up on personal challenges. One of these challenges raised my hub score 3 points overnight. These challenges do several things. The challenge I took was to write an artilcle and have it published within 30 minutes. It actually took me Thirty three minutes but they let me slide.

I then went to every hub that was written in the challenge and made a comment.
    They had two forum posts in which several posts were put, I made 5 comments and wrote a hub. All this was done without caring what it did to the hub score, but it went up anyway.

13. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Hub Score is a huge mystery to me, as it is of course designed to be, otherwise it would have no value. I am approaching four years on Hub Pages and the highest Hub Score I have ever had is 94. The highest score I have ever had for a particular Hub is 96. My average Hub Score is probably about 90 but what I have noticed lowers it more than anything else is publishing a new Hub. That would seem to back up the theory that Hub Score is significantly related to traffic and (obviously) a newly published Hub hasn't had any.

I have to be honest in that although I obviously want as high a Hub Score as possible (who wouldn't?), I am much more concerned with the performance of the Hubs re traffic and earnings.

Mine's gone up a point today. . . .and despite me knowing how meaningless it seems to be so far as traffic and earnings are concerned, it still makes me happy!

Strange story here - and it's not bragging - as I've got nothing so impressive now at all.  But I'd published a hub about a thing that I thought up on my own about the meth - amphetamine "epidemic."

That hub sat there doing nothing for the longest time - I'd practically forgotten about it altogether. . . .then it just exploded, it started getting 50 hits from google every single day.  It started going up and up in score, and finally got to a score of 100, where it stayed for about a day. . . .just as quickly as the traffic came, and out of nowhere - there it went and it disappeared.

I've never figured out any of that, and now it's scored an 89.

In your years here, have you had strange or otherwised unexplained traffic and score phenomena?

14. Cardisa profile image88

Here is the answer to the unanswered question about hubscores.

by Paul Edmonson

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/R … -and-Money

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't read that as having anything to do with hubscores, but more to do with author authority.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

What is the unanswered question?

We know how HubScores are computed:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscorecalc

15. Cardisa profile image88

A snippet from the article by Paul

......"On HubPages, getting thumbs up from other high scoring authors is more valuable than votes from folks with low scores. Google's new Plus One button I'd bet is carrying a reputation score. People that vote for content that other high quality users vote for as well is likely to help build more power into their votes. It's possible, votes from high authority people will be more valuable than links in the future. That means a person with a sterling reputation may have the power to influence the search results at unprecedented levels. This also means people that indiscriminately vote for content will likely destroy the value of their votes."

Questions are still being asked about the scores and their calculations. This might clear up why our scores are being affected by certain votes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)